ADVERTISEMENT

Has ESPN been laying off reporters, announcers, analysts, etc. ?

UpstateGC

Gold Member
Jul 31, 2007
Just wondering about that. I haven't been on ESPN networks for weeks now. Wondering what's going on there - especially about the huge group of chatter-box experts they have.

I am sitting in line at the bank and ESPN radio just about wet themselves hyping a series about the Chicago Bulls. Made it sound like it was something to plan your life around. They are understandably desperate.

Reporters, Announcers, Analysts, as a rule have secure contracts, so I doubt the could "lay off" any of those individuals.
Now as for the stage hands, sound techs, production crew that may be another matter.

I would imagine they are holding tight and Disney is just ready to take a hit for a month. If it looks like no sports until August - then they might have some furloughs to get them through the period until sports can start up again.

I honestly can't believe people are still watching it myself. I only watched the live sporting events before the virus.

Reactions: 1vagamecock
I've watched a couple of 30-30 episodes that I just happened to come up on, but as for actively looking to see what's on, I haven't done that.

I honestly can't believe people are still watching it myself. I only watched the live sporting events before the virus.

Ditto. I used to watch SportsCenter back when it was a big thing with Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann. Of course, back then, you needed to watch to see what happened in sports that day. I'm like you now, though, I only ever tune in to watch a live sporting event (which is nearly 100% college football). I don't even carry ESPN during the college football offseason.

A lot of play by play folks are contract workers that get paid per game but are not actually employed full time by the networks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT