ADVERTISEMENT

Here's a class act within the sports world

That's a good story....seems like everyone has the right attitude and perspective on it

I think he did a good thing. Had he gone ahead and broken the record, it also would have been a good thing. I don't think Street would have held doing the best he could against him

A true understanding of the program's history and a selfless way to honor that memory. Records are meant to be broken, but...... I always thought that Cal Ripken would have even enhanced his magnificent reputation if he had voluntarily sat himself when tied Lou Gehrig's record.

A true understanding of the program's history and a selfless way to honor that memory. Records are meant to be broken, but...... I always thought that Cal Ripken would have even enhanced his magnificent reputation if he had voluntarily sat himself when tied Lou Gehrig's record.
You got it right at the beginning of your second sentence - before the comma. I'm glad I got to see Gehrig's record broken in my lifetime, and I don't have a thing against Lou Gehrig.

You got it right at the beginning of your second sentence - before the comma. I'm glad I got to see Gehrig's record broken in my lifetime, and I don't have a thing against Lou Gehrig.
Records ARE made to be broken.... Gehrig's record was a standard for so long, I still remember the number 2,130, I had no idea of Ripken's number, 2,632, until I looked it up. IF Ripken(and I do not fault him for breaking the record) had chosen to tie the record it would have been the ultimate sign of respect and sublimation of personal ego to the history of the game. It would have also set a precedent no one would have the cojones to break, and he would be linked forever with Gehrig. It's just my opinion which is rooted somewhat in respect of what a good guy Gehrig was and means nothing to anyone but me.

Reactions: king ward
Records ARE made to be broken.... Gehrig's record was a standard for so long, I still remember the number 2,130, I had no idea of Ripken's number, 2,632, until I looked it up. IF Ripken(and I do not fault him for breaking the record) had chosen to tie the record it would have been the ultimate sign of respect and sublimation of personal ego to the history of the game. It would have also set a precedent no one would have the cojones to break, and he would be linked forever with Gehrig. It's just my opinion which is rooted somewhat in respect of what a good guy Gehrig was and means nothing to anyone but me.
I'm good with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT