ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Burch is gone; In the portal; Yall better pay up

The bold move here is to end the football program. College football is officially done. The transfer portal in combination with NIL have destroyed the game. Only schools with insane alumni with deep pockets are going to keep this madness going. This all began when coaches salaries spiraled out of control and the Universities gave up all leverage. The system if fatally broken and absent a gigantic change it is going to die because it is on an unsustainable trajectory. Get rid of it and restart football from scratch as a club sport full of amateurs.

Reactions: Cybercock
NIL fiasco reminds me of the days before the 85 scholarship rule was in place. Schools like Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio State, etc would stockpile talent to keep other schools from getting the players. The scholarship rule helped to spread out that talent somewhat. Something similar needs to happen with NIL.

Maybe every school is given the same NIL "salary cap" and spends that as they see fit. The current system or lack thereof is going to kill interest in the game.

Well this time is different bc the money literally goes straight to the players. The superstar Ohio St QB is a sophomore. You think if South Carolina fans were able to collectively round up $10,000,000 to offer him a 1 year NIL deal he would turn that down? No way. But we wont. Thats 100,000 USC fans giving $100 each for a Heisman finalist to come here. But again, we dont do stuff like that. Oregon, Bama, Ohio St, Notre Dame do

How about this? If you’re wanting NIL money, you skip College and go into the draft? That way, the kids who want to actually play get opportunities, and the I’ll give you 10M for some un-proven HS kid is a wash?

Willy Korm, Xavier Thomas, Ricardo Hurley, Burch, JT Daniels

Well this time is different bc the money literally goes straight to the players. The superstar Ohio St QB is a sophomore. You think if South Carolina fans were able to collectively round up $10,000,000 to offer him a 1 year NIL deal he would turn that down? No way. But we wont. Thats 100,000 USC fans giving $100 each for a Heisman finalist to come here. But again, we dont do stuff like that. Oregon, Bama, Ohio St, Notre Dame do
I'll be honest with you. I dont want the current system to continue. I dont want to see it tolerable due to everyone jumping on board with open wallets. I want it to fail and fail miserably. I want as many universities as possible wanting out of this mess and desiring a solution to this abomination. So with that in mind, why in the world would I want to contribute to a system knowing it would probably prolong its existence? No, I'll sit back and wait for the time being. In the meantime, I know for a fact that I will remain a fan through the worst of times. I know this because I've been tested before as a fan. That's not saying I want us to have a crap year or two or three at this point in time, but it is saying I'll still be a fan regardless while still in anticipation or hopes of meaningful change to the system sooner rather than later.

It's not the $100. It's that there are actually people out there that believe having a "superstar" QB is worth giving a kid 10 million dollars to play a game.
Does anyone besides me see the idiocy in all this?

Well UM and aTm proved buying players didn't necessarily win games. Burch was a Muschamp 5 star recruit that played like a 3 star. Hope he's happy with the Nike money. The NIL and portal needs to have rules and the only way that will happen is the power 5 schools breaking away from the NCAA and agree to a governing body that will setup the rules.
Hes just a sophomore. Lattimore and Clowney spoiled us. Even 5-stars often need a year or 2 to develop. I think as a junior he would have shined.

It's not the $100. It's that there are actually people out there that believe having a "superstar" QB is worth giving a kid 10 million dollars to play a game.
Well the NFL clearly does it. They have QBs younger than Stetson Bennett making 10x more, so those are kids being paid $10,000,000 to play a game.

But some schools fans want that championship t-shirt, banners, hats, etc etc really badly. Do we? I dont think we do

And then you'll have HS coaches wanting more money just for being in the system. Then developmental leagues in the younger ages will want more money... because good luck getting developed in college now.
We already know demanding a piece of the pie doesnt mean actually getting a piece of the pie. New pies are created for those with value and coaches prior to college values just went up.
Back to development early on, you'll price out so many less fortunate in the early ages because say good bye to volunteers. They will want theirs too. Now you have a system set up to prey on the dreams of little Johnny and his parents like never before... a hope of a huge payday coming sooner rather than later. And if little Johnny doesnt get that big payday, that's ok, his developers are certainly getting theirs. On the flip side, I guess there will always be daddy ball. Maybe some good players will come out of that.
This is a bad path we are headed down.
That said, I'm not necessarly talking just football here. More all sports. The trickle down from football might be a little less. Still a sports problem tho... and I dont believe it's far fetched.

Everybody is trying to keep up right now. But don't expect to see it long term at most places. At some point folks are going to get tired of it, or just can't afford it. Folks already pay dearly for the right to have seats, parking, for any college program. Especially in the SEC. Now they want everybody to dig deeper and fund these collectives to buy players. If the adults, if there are any left, don't put some guardrails up on all this stuff, they are going to kill college football.

The entire system as it stands today is obviously absurd and will likely get amended at some point. Otherwise, most teams who can't pay-to-play at the top level are going to throw in the towel and the entire thing collapses. Who wants to be an auditioning stage for moneyball teams and watch their hard-earned recruits roll out within a year or less?

In addition, the longer this persists, the divide between the "haves" and "have nots" of college football will deepen. Even if they reverse some of these policies within a year or two, the imbalances created during this period will persist.

The entire thing feels alot like what is going on with the economy. The FED induces inflation via rate hikes as a power/money grab paid for by those who weren't responsible for irresponsible overspending in the first place.

Last edited:
Max salary caps, just like the NFL. Use the money from the SEC and choose your poison; you fall victim to your liking.
That would be fine, but the NFL can only do that as a part of collective bargaining with the union. Otherwise salary caps are violations of antitrust law.

Since we don't turn out many. Y'all boys out in the oil states ought to have a big advantage in that area.
I hope so. But even Longhorn fans were stunned at the NIL money that the Texas Aggies were throwing around that first year it was allowed.

Universities better be careful going along with all of this. They've become ridiculously overpriced for what they have to offer and the competition online is getting stronger every day. At some point, people are going to stop paying for their kids to be taught to hate their country, parents and faith while receiving a sub-par education along the way.

College Football is obviously a big part of the fabric for many schools. If it goes down the tubes or interest even wanes considerable, the ivory towers foundation grows that much weaker. I've love to see a coalition among those who will never compete with the big money schools to opt out completely - including USC. If this came to fruition, we would likely start to see quick action to remedy the madness before the point of no return is reached.

Appreciate Burch for suiting up, but more concerned about Gilber Edmonds transferring. Burch was a serviceable SEC lineman. Wish him the best.

Ya' Know....Its crazy now! I have been a loyal Gamecock and Alumni for 50 years now ! I was so excited when I heard Gator Bowl, and then Notre Dame, I immediately booked Hyatt in Jacksonville and 3 tickets ! Taking my 2 sons down for the event ! After all the transfer announcements, I seriously considered cancelling the bowl trip....I would never have considered that in the Past....EVER !

However, I am so glad we did the trip! I had a GREAT time with my 2 sons, and we will never forget it. I held so much admiration for the players that stayed and the coaching staff for all they did to have the team READY to play Notre Dame !!!!

What the future holds, I dont know....but DAMN if I am going to lay out my $$$$ for spoiled ass kids to play College Football ! I will still support the Gamecocks, But the game has changed, and the portal and NIL will kill it in the end!

I don't get it either. I think it is ridiculous that a football coach is the highest paid state employee in pretty much every southern state. Market forces are going to rule this situation and the market correction is going to blow it all up in a 2008 financial meltdown way.

I don't get it either. I think it is ridiculous that a football coach is the highest paid state employee in pretty much every southern state. Market forces are going to rule this situation and the market correction is going to blow it all up in a 2008 financial meltdown way.
Southern state? Id bet its the same in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Oregon, etc etc etc. Not many non sports related government employees making over $300,000 at the state level

This NIL crap reminds me of the Tulip crash. Everyone is rushing to dump money into a frivolous marketplace where at some point the bubble will burst. Eventually people are going to not care and college sports are going to wither away to a shell of their former selves.

If something doesn't change soon, I think you are going to see college sports rapidly decline in popularity.
Same here. I used to love our players and felt a connection to them. I have always preferred college football over the NFL. If I'm forced to watch paid athletes, the NFL is a better product. Can't believe I'm saying this.

The entire system as it stands today is obviously absurd and will likely get amended at some point. Otherwise, most teams who can't pay-to-play at the top level are going to throw in the towel and the entire thing collapses. Who wants to be an auditioning stage for moneyball teams and watch their hard-earned recruits roll out within a year or less?

In addition, the longer this persists, the divide between the "haves" and "have nots" of college football will deepen. Even if they reverse some of these policies within a year or two, the imbalances created during this period will persist.

The entire thing feels alot like what is going on with the economy. The FED induces inflation via rate hikes as a power/money grab paid for by those who weren't responsible for irresponsible overspending in the first place.
M

Southern state? Id bet its the same in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Oregon, etc etc etc. Not many non sports related government employees making over $300,000 at the state level
Also Utah, Arizona, Kansas, Washington, Nevada, Indiana, etc, although some of those the highest paid are the basketball coaches at the state university. For example, Bill Self at Kansas makes 5.41 million dollars, slightly more than Lance Leipold, the football coach's 5.0 million dollars. There are some head psychiatrists or deans at state mental hospitals dealing with the worst mental patients (criminals) that make close to a million dollars, but not over. That is a big drop.

I agree. Its OUR fault. We are free to open our wallets now. Whichever fan bases do, will win

I think all the folks that claimed they "demand excellence" with their absurd expectations and blame the reasonable people that don't agree for failure because they are "willing accept mediocrity" should step it up.

Nothing says "I demand excellence" like writing a big, fat , f'ing check. So pay up, or shut up, because without the willingness to fund excellence, you are in no position to demand anything.

I think all the folks that claimed they "demand excellence" with their absurd expectations and blame the reasonable people that don't agree for failure because they are "willing accept mediocrity" should step it up.

Nothing says "I demand excellence" like writing a big, fat , f'ing check. So pay up, or shut up, because without the willingness to fund excellence, you are in no position to demand anything.

Those who choose to write that "fat f'ing check" can do just that. Personally I value things other than winning football games.

Reactions: tngamecock#
The jokes on people that open up their wallet in an attempt to buy a winner... in a college sport at that
How stupid can you be as the players and coaches laugh at you all the way to the bank?
Amen Cyber
The free market will initially look foolish. As in “we must open the wallet and buy a team”. But in a few years the money dries up because investment capital has to have a ROI.
When there is no return on investment then the Free Market fixes itself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT