ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Ray

There's so much gum-bumping, worthless "I'm gonna' do THIS iffin' you don't do THAT" total mindless BS being spewed on this thread it ain't even funny.
First, the OP ain't gonna do jacksh*t whatever Coach Tanner does. We also have idiots encouraging Tanner to 'cheat!!!' because OTHERS 'are doing it' (says WHO besides those saying it here?) and Saban's reporting that no one's asked to interview Smart (hey, he's got a game this weekend against Florida) - it would probably tick him off to be bothered at the moment.
Agents call the AD's is how it USUALLY works (if a coach is even interested) - it's not a bunch of different AD's chasing the coaches, they're easy to find (and contact) - MOST big-time college program's already have 'working relationships' with MOST of the coaching agents already, it's not usually even an introductory step - more like "hey, Jimmy ... tell me where your guy's stand, I'm possibly interested in x, y or z" and they don't lie to each other, THAT does not WORK.
I met Coach Spurrier's coaching agent once (Jimmy Sexton) and several other 'sports agents' working with and for Sexton on several other occasions, as well. At the time (7-8 years ago) Sexton also represented Fulmer, Turbeville, Saban, Strong, Meyer, Richt, Beamer, the NFL guy who coached the Giants, Cowboys and others including Barry Switzer (ESPN & TV stuff) and a LOT more guys, too - from all over the country ... but he had a TON of SEC coaches. They're NOT 'cutthroat' thieves - just guys who know numbers, strengths and weaknesses - they also know their client's pretty well, their personalities and family-circumstances.
Those things MATTER a LOT.
Coach Tanner won't "miss" someone for being slow to the punch or slow with the contact(s) - whatever prelim stuff is required has been completed for 'bout anyone he's even thought about eventually talking to.
You don't FIRE on 'actively coaching' coaches with their regular season's still in-progress - it's NOT DONE. A coach may contact YOU but if so, his current school/boss knows about it before hand.
Just two days ago Miles was GONE and Jimbo Fisher was leaving FSU to take his place. Didn't happen. All the BS about Herman was a 'done deal' was bogus, His season's not over.
VA Tech moved quickly to get Fuentes 'cause they could. He lost to Navy, Houston and then Temple before beating clemson's old OC and SMU 63-0 yesterday ... his 'season'; was essentially over with the loss to Houston several weeks ago (no championship game opportunity) so his agent was no doubt more aggressive.
We apparently weren't interested.
This stuff will all play out soon enough. We'll get somebody everybody's heard of. Coach Tanner is a big PLUS IMHO 'cause he understands a coaches point of view, while no one can or does represent 'Carolina better than Dr. Pastides ... we're in very good hands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT