ADVERTISEMENT

How are BOT members chosen?

White-smoke-emerges-from--011.jpg

It’s complicated, but the main question each candidate must answer is “how do you plan to run the University into the ground and embarrass it every opportunity you get?”

Reactions: aceman39
It’s complicated, but the main question each candidate must answer is “how do you plan to run the University into the ground and embarrass it every opportunity you get?”
Guess I have ESP as the BOT just told Caslen that his actions are totally fine by not accepting his resignation. Good job!!!

Reactions: rogue cock
The BOT is one of USC's biggest problems. You have people on that board that always want to make a name for themselves and don't know jack-squat about things such as college athletics. They meddle and leak things because they think it makes them look good. I think USC needs to clean house with its board.

So, for someone more knowledgeable than me, what would need to be done to revamp the BOT and the process of choosing who sits on it?

So, for someone more knowledgeable than me, what would need to be done to revamp the BOT and the process of choosing who sits on it?
Change in State Law. Which would mean a super grass roots effort of lobbying your local Representatives to give up the power they have given themselves, voting out those who are against any change, and voting in those who support the change. Lobbying donors to support a change in the BOT. Finding someone who would fund such a herculean effort (Darla might, come to think of it). And basically starting from scratch with an entirely new makeup of the BOT if we were able to get State law changed.

It is something that would take YEARS to get done. Maybe by my grandchildren's lifetime.

Change in State Law. Which would mean a super grass roots effort of lobbying your local Representatives to give up the power they have given themselves, voting out those who are against any change, and voting in those who support the change. Lobbying donors to support a change in the BOT. Finding someone who would fund such a herculean effort (Darla might, come to think of it). And basically starting from scratch with an entirely new makeup of the BOT if we were able to get State law changed.

It is something that would take YEARS to get done. Maybe by my grandchildren's lifetime.
My guess is we would get term limits for Congress before this happens. ;)

Reactions: USCBatgirl21

Agree. And I think the perfect model is the Clemson one. A majority of the Board is self-perpetuating and are chosen by the other members of the self-perpetuating Board. The minority is selected by the state legislature since it is a public school and you do need those to influence the legislature for money.

Yes.....as well as the Secretary of Education, who can also be a Clemson alumnus.

And I have found nothing in the BOT Bylaws that would prevent a Clemson alumnus from being appointed as a regular member.

That makes ZERO sense. We set ourselves up for failure. One silver lining, I never have to guess who are the real Gamecock fans are when they display Gamecock gear on their car. HA! You have to truly love USC to be fan.

There should be a revamping of how our BOT is selected and the length of the terms they serve. But as long as the governor and the state legislature have a hand in this process, don't hold your breath. That's how Nickie (I went to Clemson and couldn't pass the CPA Exam) Haley was able to boot Darla Moore off the BOT and replace our largest benefactor in history with some crony who kicked in a few $100's into Haley's election fund.

Reactions: Tmac069
That makes ZERO sense. We set ourselves up for failure. One silver lining, I never have to guess who are the real Gamecock fans are when they display Gamecock gear on their car. HA! You have to truly love USC to be fan.
Gamecock license plate on the front, state issued Gamecock license plate on the back, USD Dad sticker on back glass (my daughter just graduated) Go Cocks!

Reactions: mUSCle Gamecock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT