ADVERTISEMENT

How does Ray Tanner still have a job???

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
The big three mens sports are in really bad shape and have gotten worse over the last few years all under his watch. There also is no reason to beleive any of the three will see significant short-term improvement. By keeping Tanner on, the USC BOT and the new President are proving to us all they are simply not serious about a level of excellence in USC men's athletics. So why should we be serious about sending in the $$??!!!!! It is a slap in our faces that Tanner continues to receive a paycheck from the UofSC.

AND.....our in-state football rival is playing for its 2nd straight national title and is the preseason #1 for next year in any early poll I have seen.

This is not a fun time to be a Gamecock fan. Thank God for Dawn Staley.

It's just the quiet before the storm. Men's BB is going on a tear starting tomorrow and the football team will win 13 games this fall. Baseball is definitely headed to the CWS this year.

Seriously, this question has been asked a lot and the answer seems to be that everyone on the BOT likes RT and the big donors like him. He does raise a lot of money and is active in the community. Does that make him a good AD? Well, sorta ... but that's only half the job. He probably gets a A for that part and a D for running athletic programs. It would be a D- but for the women's BB team.

I don't want him to make another hire, but I don't see him retiring or leaving before 2024. Therefore, he will probably have to make several hires.

Reactions: 92Pony
7wgfkrt.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The big three mens sports are in really bad shape and have gotten worse over the last few years all under his watch. There also is no reason to beleive any of the three will see significant short-term improvement. By keeping Tanner on, the USC BOT and the new President are proving to us all they are simply not serious about a level of excellence in USC men's athletics. So why should we be serious about sending in the $$??!!!!! It is a slap in our faces that Tanner continues to receive a paycheck from the UofSC.

AND.....our in-state football rival is playing for its 2nd straight national title and is the preseason #1 for next year in any early poll I have seen.

This is not a fun time to be a Gamecock fan. Thank God for Dawn Staley.
The BOT must be too busy to get involved in trivial shit!Sick:cool:

It's just the quiet before the storm. Men's BB is going on a tear starting tomorrow and the football team will win 13 games this fall. Baseball is definitely headed to the CWS this year.

Seriously, this question has been asked a lot and the answer seems to be that everyone on the BOT likes RT and the big donors like him. He does raise a lot of money and is active in the community. Does that make him a good AD? Well, sorta ... but that's only half the job. He probably gets a A for that part and a D for running athletic programs. It would be a D- but for the women's BB team.

I don't want him to make another hire, but I don't see him retiring or leaving before 2024. Therefore, he will probably have to make several hires.
The best we can hope for is for him to be "reassigned" to a fundraising ambassador role (or something similar) at the end of the school year and Caslen to bring in a real AD that would put all underperforming coaches on notice.

Ray Ray still has a job because the big time super duper power brokers who DEMAND this and DEMAND that here on the FGF have absolutely no pull. Just powerless whiners with ZERO SAY about anything Carolina. Pecking away 24/7 along with their imposter friends on a simple little fan board. Very entertaining.

Ray's a good fundraiser, good baseball coach and that is all. Put him on any city street corner and he could raise enough money to feed the homeless for a month.

The best we can hope for is for him to be "reassigned" to a fundraising ambassador role (or something similar) at the end of the school year and Caslen to bring in a real AD that would put all underperforming coaches on notice.
I have heard rumors ... but that means he may have to make a men's BB hire in March or April. He could deep six the program for a decade if he makes a bad hire. Would they keep Martin another year just to keep RT from making the hire?

Yes unfortunately I’ll pay my half scholarship Monday and bend over and take it. Along with the tickets that are worthless to me.

I have heard rumors ... but that means he may have to make a men's BB hire in March or April. He could deep six the program for a decade if he makes a bad hire. Would they keep Martin another year just to keep RT from making the hire?
what would define a Bad hire? Getting someone who is not qualified for the job perhaps? Hiring someone because they are a “bargain”, who doesn’t have a big name or tons of experience?

i ask because of the past 4 hires in MBB, only one was truly a “bad hire”. Nobody can tell the future, you hire a coach based off resume and past success and their likelihood of succeeding at your program right? Or do you people believe an AD should be able to tell the future? Maybe we should hire DR Strange to be our next AD...

Was Fogler a bad hire? He was National coach of the year I believe the year before we hired him. Well respected as a fantastic coach nationally, had some ties to the area, a history of recruiting well. He was a FANTASTIC hire! He had success here but failed to bring post season success and eventually, once the “new” wore off and we struggled a bit, recruiting fell apart and the program sank back to where we have always been- save a brief stint with Mcguire 50 years ago= a really really bad basketball team. Does not mean he was a “bad hire”, just did not work out here due to the challenges any coach will face as a coach of the Gamecocks.
How about Odom? Bad Hire? He was tremendously successful at Wake prior to coming here. “Well he had Tim Duncan”- yeah he RECRUITED and convince Duncan to play there, then developed him from a raw talent to one of the best bigs to play the game. He was a GREAT HIRE! By any measurable- success, recruiting prowess, had success in the toughest conference, was from NC just a state away- recruiting ties in place... There is not a thing about that hire- from the AD perspective of “what do I know going into it” that indicated it was a poor hire. He failed here, miserably.
Frank Martin- a KNOCK IT OUT THE PARK HIRE! One of (to this day, still) the most respected and better known names in college basketball on a national level. Was a disciple of a legend, had big time success- regular season and playoff- at his last job... and we convinced him to switch here from another, more successful college program to be our coach which is an absolute boss move that almost never happens in college athletics! The single best hire in our recent past for the basketball team. We are all aware of the one final four season and our dissatisfaction with results beyond that.

So, what is my point? My point is... Blaming poor results on an AD and acting like “well he made a bad hire because the results haven’t been what we hoped” is IGNORANT! You have no better ability to tell the future than any AD, when they hire a new coach they get the best guy of their available candidates (or in the case of Martin even UNAVAILABLE candidates) and hope for the best. 3 the past 4 hires I feel the AD in place did that EXACTLY, so it is not the cause of “bad hires” that we are in this spot, and there is not guarantee or even much hope in my eyes at this point that any other AD may make a different hire that is more likely to be successful than the three coaches mentioned above when you take into account that they were GREAT hires at the tine their respective ADs made them.

IOW- something is missing besides “hiring the right guy” here. Don’t give me the “facilities” BS or that the practice facility is not nice enough or has to be shared with the women- BS. We have a fantastic are a for them to play, gorgeous student housing for athletes, tutoring and entertainment options on par with just about any other school... We are bot substantially lacking in facilities to out us substantially behind our competition. So, if we make a change in basketball... What is our move? Given that three our of the last four were great coaches who still failed here ultimately... Do people think Coach K is just biting his lip, hoping we will call? Perhaps.. Rick Pitino will want to try to rebuild his disgraced rep at a struggling school in a big conference? Who do you think we will get that is more of a slam dunk than those guys who already failed here?

The real question is- do we have more inherent problems at hand than just who is coaching these guys that are keeping us from being good? I think people are just plain wrong in their assessment if they think “making the right hire” will fix everything. It is going to take a culture change within all of our major teams to turn things around and one hire is not likely to provide that.

If we had to choose, I would keep Martin another year or two and get rid of Muschamp. Martin has at least shown that he can develop talent and win on a big stage. Muschamp has proven that he can talk about evaluating.

what would define a Bad hire? Getting someone who is not qualified for the job perhaps? Hiring someone because they are a “bargain”, who doesn’t have a big name or tons of experience?

i ask because of the past 4 hires in MBB, only one was truly a “bad hire”. Nobody can tell the future, you hire a coach based off resume and past success and their likelihood of succeeding at your program right? Or do you people believe an AD should be able to tell the future? Maybe we should hire DR Strange to be our next AD...

Was Fogler a bad hire? He was National coach of the year I believe the year before we hired him. Well respected as a fantastic coach nationally, had some ties to the area, a history of recruiting well. He was a FANTASTIC hire! He had success here but failed to bring post season success and eventually, once the “new” wore off and we struggled a bit, recruiting fell apart and the program sank back to where we have always been- save a brief stint with Mcguire 50 years ago= a really really bad basketball team. Does not mean he was a “bad hire”, just did not work out here due to the challenges any coach will face as a coach of the Gamecocks.
How about Odom? Bad Hire? He was tremendously successful at Wake prior to coming here. “Well he had Tim Duncan”- yeah he RECRUITED and convince Duncan to play there, then developed him from a raw talent to one of the best bigs to play the game. He was a GREAT HIRE! By any measurable- success, recruiting prowess, had success in the toughest conference, was from NC just a state away- recruiting ties in place... There is not a thing about that hire- from the AD perspective of “what do I know going into it” that indicated it was a poor hire. He failed here, miserably.
Frank Martin- a KNOCK IT OUT THE PARK HIRE! One of (to this day, still) the most respected and better known names in college basketball on a national level. Was a disciple of a legend, had big time success- regular season and playoff- at his last job... and we convinced him to switch here from another, more successful college program to be our coach which is an absolute boss move that almost never happens in college athletics! The single best hire in our recent past for the basketball team. We are all aware of the one final four season and our dissatisfaction with results beyond that.

So, what is my point? My point is... Blaming poor results on an AD and acting like “well he made a bad hire because the results haven’t been what we hoped” is IGNORANT! You have no better ability to tell the future than any AD, when they hire a new coach they get the best guy of their available candidates (or in the case of Martin even UNAVAILABLE candidates) and hope for the best. 3 the past 4 hires I feel the AD in place did that EXACTLY, so it is not the cause of “bad hires” that we are in this spot, and there is not guarantee or even much hope in my eyes at this point that any other AD may make a different hire that is more likely to be successful than the three coaches mentioned above when you take into account that they were GREAT hires at the tine their respective ADs made them.

IOW- something is missing besides “hiring the right guy” here. Don’t give me the “facilities” BS or that the practice facility is not nice enough or has to be shared with the women- BS. We have a fantastic are a for them to play, gorgeous student housing for athletes, tutoring and entertainment options on par with just about any other school... We are bot substantially lacking in facilities to out us substantially behind our competition. So, if we make a change in basketball... What is our move? Given that three our of the last four were great coaches who still failed here ultimately... Do people think Coach K is just biting his lip, hoping we will call? Perhaps.. Rick Pitino will want to try to rebuild his disgraced rep at a struggling school in a big conference? Who do you think we will get that is more of a slam dunk than those guys who already failed here?

The real question is- do we have more inherent problems at hand than just who is coaching these guys that are keeping us from being good? I think people are just plain wrong in their assessment if they think “making the right hire” will fix everything. It is going to take a culture change within all of our major teams to turn things around and one hire is not likely to provide that.

I never said anything about predicting the future. What I said was I don't trust Ray Tanner to make any coaching hire. That's based on his results to date.

He has hired 3 coaches. Both baseball and football were at or near the top programs in the country. Both have declined significantly after RT made the hires. In addition, he gave Muschamp a large ($25 million) buyout when no one was trying to hire him away from SC. The Frank Martin buyout was more understandable, but is still too high at 12 million 3 years after the FF.

Stop trying to rationalize and make excuses for under performing men's sports. The responsibility falls directly on the AD.

I never said anything about predicting the future. What I said was I don't trust Ray Tanner to make any coaching hire. That's based on his results to date.

He has hired 3 coaches. Both baseball and football were at or near the top programs in the country. Both have declined significantly after RT made the hires. In addition, he gave Muschamp a large ($25 million) buyout when no one was trying to hire him away from SC. The Frank Martin buyout was more understandable, but is still too high at 12 million 3 years after the FF.

Stop trying to rationalize and make excuses for under performing men's sports. The responsibility falls directly on the AD.
Whole lot of BS here. Let’s unpack it shall we?

Football was coming off a DISASTROUS two year stretch culminating in a 3 win season!! How can anyone imply they were “near the top of the country” when he “made his hire”? That is what you said right? Or will you go back and change your language on that point as well. Regardless they were not, they were a mess and Ray’s hire turned around the negative momentum initially and had us back in a bowl in his first year, winning 9 games his second year... Boy what a crappy hire ehh? Sure, last year sucked, nobody says it didn’t but to just toss around statements as though they are fact when you clearly have your dates or figures all screwed up... Slow down high speed I think you missed something.
Baseball was a different story- the best of the best BECAUSE OF TANNER. But the Holbrook hire was the best hire we could have made. 100% by any measure of a good hire, it was the best possible option. He was part of the staff, the most highly sought after assistant in college baseball, a Ray Tanner disciple, more likely than anyone to continue what Tanner was doing... and it still did not work out.
I think you missed my point- I was not defending anything, I was trying to get people to see we have made many GREAT hires that still lead to poor results. This means that success is not just the result of an AD making the “right hire” and oeople have to realize that they only have so much control over actual results on the field/court. Also, in Judging the work an AD has done what constitutes a good hire is based off more than just looking back at their record a couple years later....

Baseball results have been really poor, no doubt but applying the knowledge he had at the time, Holbrook was not just the right hire, it was the ONLY hire he could make. Imagine the uproar had he hired anyone else, especially if they had produced similar results! “We had the best guy in house, how could you let him go”...

This is not a defense of Tanner, I am just- futile though the attempt may be- trying to get our fans to realize that ADs are judged by more than just how well we do in football the past year. Tanner has done an “ok” (perhaps better than ok) job overall when factoring top to bottom athletic performance of all sports under his watch, facilities improvements and advancement of existing plans, implementing new revenue producing options (beer sales for example to use the most recent, Adopting the $25/month for tickets to any game earlier than most schools...), fund raising, and just being the voice of the program... He has done just fine. Sure the average SC country hick cannot see beyond “my football team ain’t winning so he has gotta go”... I know people are frustrated... But there is way more to his job than just winning FB games.

Reactions: PC31

Uhh Sir, any idea as to when that BOOK of a post might actually be published??

Just askin'!! =;-p

TL;DR

Frank Martin sucks. So does the AD and so does the MFB coach. Simple stuff

Reactions: thisisnextyr
I would like RT to be the nation’s first All-Virtual Athletic Director. He can do the same job he does now but from his home computer. That way he can still call himself AD but we won’t have to deal with his candy-azz Mr. Nice Guy routine that has permeated the culture at our university.

Football was coming off a DISASTROUS two year stretch culminating in a 3 win season!! How can anyone imply they were “near the top of the country” when he “made his hire”? That is what you said right? Or will you go back and change your language on that point as well. Regardless they were not, they were a mess and Ray’s hire turned around the negative momentum initially and had us back in a bowl in his first year, winning 9 games his second year... Boy what a crappy hire ehh? Sure, last year sucked, nobody says it didn’t but to just toss around statements as though they are fact when you clearly have your dates or figures all screwed up... Slow down high speed I think you missed something.
Baseball was a different story- the best of the best BECAUSE OF TANNER. But the Holbrook hire was the best hire we could have made. 100% by any measure of a good hire, it was the best possible option. He was part of the staff, the most highly sought after assistant in college baseball, a Ray Tanner disciple, more likely than anyone to continue what Tanner was doing... and it still did not work out.
I think you missed my point- I was not defending anything, I was trying to get people to see we have made many GREAT hires that still lead to poor results. This means that success is not just the result of an AD making the “right hire” and oeople have to realize that they only have so much control over actual results on the field/court. Also, in Judging the work an AD has done what constitutes a good hire is based off more than just looking back at their record a couple years later....

Baseball results have been really poor, no doubt but applying the knowledge he had at the time, Holbrook was not just the right hire, it was the ONLY hire he could make. Imagine the uproar had he hired anyone else, especially if they had produced similar results! “We had the best guy in house, how could you let him go”...

This is not a defense of Tanner, I am just- futile though the attempt may be- trying to get our fans to realize that ADs are judged by more than just how well we do in football the past year. Tanner has done an “ok” (perhaps better than ok) job overall when factoring top to bottom athletic performance of all sports under his watch, facilities improvements and advancement of existing plans, implementing new revenue producing options (beer sales for example to use the most recent, Adopting the $25/month for tickets to any game earlier than most schools...), fund raising, and just being the voice of the program... He has done just fine. Sure the average SC country hick cannot see beyond “my football team ain’t winning so he has gotta go”... I know people are frustrated... But there is way more to his job than just winning FB games.
Wow. Condescend much?

EVERY AD makes bad hires, or hires that seem good but don't pan out. The key is recognizing it and leaving yourself a way out. Ray did the exact opposite and gave out ridiculous extensions and buyouts when NO ONE was calling for these coaches' services. As I've said before, that's called negotiating against yourself. It's bad business, no matter how one tries to rationalize it.

And no matter how you try to dismiss other people's views by calling them names, there is ZERO evidence that any of the major men's sports have improved under Ray's watch. But there is plenty to suggest the opposite. And make no mistake, football and men's basketball are the only sports that consistently generate revenue that not only pay for themselves, but pay for all the other sports too.

I agree that fundraising and building new facilities are part of Ray's job. But if the teams that use those facilities aren't worth a crap, no one cares. Winning is the first, second, and third priority for any athletic department. Everything else is a distant second.

You seem to try to give Ray credit for being a good AD because he won big as a baseball coach. I assume you realize those are two completely different job descriptions, right?

But if Ray was still manning the dugout and a mainstay in Omaha, I doubt you would hear a cross word said about him from anyone. But hey, he was done coaching. I don't fault him for that. I do fault him for the state of affairs in the major men's sports though. And I fault our leadership for putting him in that position to begin with.

Reactions: Surfside Gamecock

Love it when someone spends two thirds of a post defending somebody,only to begin the final paragraph with a "This is not a defense of Tanner...." Uh,yes it is.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

The Tanner defenders represent the part of our fanbase that is an assist to keeping us mired in mediocrity. They are so used to making excuses and lamenting wait til next year they just can't help themselves.

Last edited:

The stain that will always cause me to second guess Tanner's ability is the handling of the Spurrier situation. To know a year ahead of time that your HOF coach wants out and to end up with Option C or D still baffles me.

When Dawn Staley leaves one day you will see how much “the right hire” means

Ray is a baseball god who won some games 10 years ago, you cannot question anything he says or does. If AD’s were salt Ray would be the Atlantic Ocean. Ray is beloved by coaches because he delivers the best buyouts available in the whole NCAA, you will not hire one of Ray’s top performing coaches away, they are locked in like ticks on a hound dog.

So Ray is here to stay, so please stop the bashing Taters!

For some reason the sunshine pumper fans worship the ground Tanner walks and has no problem with saying “wait until year” year after year after year. And lecturing people who are critical of the staff and demand better results. As if Tanner is bigger then the University of South Carolina Gamecocks itselfand how dare we point out that we suck. If we seriously want to be competitive we need a new AD ASAP. It’s sad that the only thing we have to look forward to next year in football is the hope that this BoBo guy from Colorado can turn things around for the football team. The offense has been atrocious since like 2014. It’s unacceptable.

I have been very Pro-Muschamp. But I think he should have been put on serious notice after the 2018 season. After Florida’s come back win and especially after UVA made us the laughing stock of the SEC. To me it seems like we have been spinning tires since he got here. If 2020 doesn’t improve I hope someone makes drastic changes from AD on down. If not I will always be a Gamecock fan but I am not going to support it being mediocre.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT