ADVERTISEMENT

How to fix star players sitting out bowls

Exactly . Well if you don’t want this problem then we can recruit like Wake Forest and Vandy and we will never have this issue again . If you wanna win you gotta have Elite players . Elite players are in it for one reason .... Get drafted and get paid . All the rah rah do it for the love of your school or the fans or your teammates died twenty years ago . It’s a BUSINESS . The university makes Millions off these kids and in return the kids get exposure to audition for a job that will pay them like Kings . I want everybody to read this and comment .... IF DEEBO SUFFERED A CAREER ENDING INJURY IN THE BELK BOWL WOULD YOU AS A FAN WRITE HIM A PERSONAL CHECK FOR 5 MILLION DOLLARS OR MORE ??? IS USC GONNA DO THE SAME ??? HEEELLLL NO !!!!! Easy for us to disapprove when we have nothing on the line but the score of a football game than nobody that doesn’t live in SC or Virginia cares about .

You get the big picture. I’m with you.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Personally I don't have a problem with sitting out of a game where there's a great downside risk for a meaningless game. Just as going to a bowl game is a reward for your season, not going to the bowl game should be a reward for those few players who have a chance to play in the league as a thank you for four great years.

You said meaningless game. You just triggered some people....

You get the big picture. I’m with you.

I’m as big a fan as anyone but when it comes down to it , it’s about the kids and their futures and their families futures . I like winning football games but I like seeing our players succeed in the league and in life more . Very easy for old men who are living pretty comfortably to judge a kid who is trying to pursue what’s best for himself . Gamecock football is gonna be mediocre as always with or without one player . Good for him . Wish him luck and since “I Do “ watch NFL I’ll see him play next year !!!

I’m as big a fan as anyone but when it comes down to it , it’s about the kids and their futures and their families futures . I like winning football games but I like seeing our players succeed in the league and in life more . Very easy for old men who are living pretty comfortably to judge a kid who is trying to pursue what’s best for himself . Gamecock football is gonna be mediocre as always with or without one player . Good for him . Wish him luck and since “I Do “ watch NFL I’ll see him play next year !!!
Imagine if we were still seeing Marcus run over people in the NFL. Glad he's here, though.

This has already happened, with players skipping their senior year. The players are suppose to be in college for...college (education), but it's essentially just the established venue for amateur athletes.

I totally get it and respect that but I disagree . You don’t go to college to get an education , you go to college to get a JOB that requires that education . Went to school with plenty of people who got “Educated” and had to move in with mom and dad until they were 40 . Deebo has succeeded in his classroom aka Williams Brice Stadium and he’s got a job offer coming very soon . College paid off for him . Again I total understand your position and admire it .

Imagine if we were still seeing Marcus run over people in the NFL. Glad he's here, though.

Yeah me too . Remember Darrin Profrow from Alabama ?? I was in Bryant Denny when that happened . Only takes one play

Oh, you can take their scholarship away. Most may not care, if they don't care about the degree. Some may. If one sued however, doubt it's an issue that the school could win on....in that instance the court would look to see if the player substantially complied with the agreement. Substantial compliance does not require the formal requirement to be met to enforce the contract...which is what the school would be arguing. It would be an ugly situation regardless.
So if I don't want to pay my whole mortgage payment, I can claim substantial compliance (I haven't missed a payment in 17 years)? Perhaps a mortgage is a different sort of contract. I don't know.

Not trying to be snarky here, I'm just (very) curious. ;)

Yeah me too . Remember Darrin Profrow from Alabama ?? I was in Bryant Denny when that happened . Only takes one play
Don't remember that one, but I clearly remember Marcus' injury. I thought he had broken his femur.

One thing that I think bears mentioning here is that is is OK to be frustrated - pissed even - with Deebo and still be happy for him and wish him the best. It doesn't need to be all one or all the other.

Don't remember that one, but I clearly remember Marcus' injury. I thought he had broken his femur.

Yeah the Profow injury was the nastiest I’ve ever seen . You can find it on YouTube but you might throw up . Worst thing is .... he was playing into the 4th Quarter in a blow out game and broke his leg on a “Rub it in “ touchdown attempt against Florida . I think the score was 34-10 with five minutes left . Kid went from Heisman hopeful to barely being able to walk again in one play .

So if I don't want to pay my whole mortgage payment, I can claim substantial compliance (I haven't missed a payment in 17 years)? Perhaps a mortgage is a different sort of contract. I don't know.

Not trying to be snarky here, I'm just (very) curious. ;)
Lol. No, because the purpose or objective has not been satisfied. But as long as you are paying they can't foreclose because you were late on several payment....eventhough you haven't complied with the formal requirements, you have substantially complied.

Some folks need to let this thing go. Deebo is doing the right thing for himself hu skipping this bowl. It's business, pure and simple. He owes USC nothing. The star players more than make up for it by being the actors on the stage for millions of dollars that right into the athletic department. Some of it from the sale of his jersey. So no matter what he does, he has paid for his scholly and his stipend many times over.

Reactions: 01fatboy
I totally get it and respect that but I disagree . You don’t go to college to get an education , you go to college to get a JOB that requires that education . Went to school with plenty of people who got “Educated” and had to move in with mom and dad until they were 40 . Deebo has succeeded in his classroom aka Williams Brice Stadium and he’s got a job offer coming very soon . College paid off for him . Again I total understand your position and admire it .
I have no issue with Deebo going to the next level and skipping the bowl. He’s done so much for the university and an injury could cost him millions. I was just commenting on your view that kids will start skipping their last year of school, because they already are.

I predict in the not so distant future, non-playoff bowls will be played without any players with draft potential. Some may hate it, but you cannot put toothpaste back in the tube.
if i am making a decision that could greatly affect my future, i sure dont dont need to worry about what other people think...unless they gonna pony up some dough if i get hurt...cannot believe people are having an issue with this...selfish as hell on yalls part, not his

If some on this board had their way, we would end up with the horrible relationships we had with sports alumni like we did post-Morrison era (among others). Only this time around, we'd have the social media nightmare to go along with it. Imagine what the Clemson Propaganda Machine would do with that.

No thank you.

if i am making a decision that could greatly affect my future, i sure dont dont need to worry about what other people think...unless they gonna pony up some dough if i get hurt...cannot believe people are having an issue with this...selfish as hell on yalls part, not his

I do not hate it. I think it is the start of players realizing their power against the evil NCAA. A scholarship to play the sport pales in comparison to the money generated. If I'm an upper echelon player and can't profit off my sweat then at the appropriate time I will take my talents to the pro leagues. Just like amateurs in baseball, basketball, tennis, boxers, turn professional. At least some guys play through their senior seasons, some don't...many more football players won't under the present NCAA rules. PREACH!

Reactions: 01fatboy
So exactly how much should a kid like Deebo “owe” the university for sitting out the Belk Bowl?

I’m all ears.
Put a clause in their contract that if they sit out (other than injury related ) any team that signs them must reimburse any amount of scholarship money that they acquired. Sorry about your large ears.

Lol. No, because the purpose or objective has not been satisfied. But as long as you are paying they can't foreclose because you were late on several payment....eventhough you haven't complied with the formal requirements, you have substantially complied.
so I should pay every other month?

I have no issue with Deebo going to the next level and skipping the bowl. He’s done so much for the university and an injury could cost him millions. I was just commenting on your view that kids will start skipping their last year of school, because they already are.

Gotcha . My worry is that kids will start skipping their Junior or Redshirt Sophmore Years to prepare for the draft . For instance .. say Clowney leaves school after his Sophmore season and doesn’t play his junior or Senior year . Basically he spends what would be his Jr year training . I bet we will see this happen in the future . So in this case they would be skipping two years . Not positive so someone please correct me , but the rule is a kid must be three years out of HS before he can enter the draft correct ??? He isn’t required to spend 3 years in college I believe . Again I’m not positive .

so I should pay every other month?
If you like paying late fees, sure....but don't fall too far behind...they don't have the backlog of inventory they used to, they will foreclose and kick you out. You will still have to pay the total amount you owe.

Although I'm not crazy about this new trend, these players are doing what they feel is in their best interest for themself and their family. We all make decisions based on the same criteria, only difference is that it's not put out for all to see and comment on.
There are those that will always look out for themselves, and what's in their best interest. Their are also those, that put aside what's best for themselves and do what's best for the team. look no further than the military. Many could use excuses to get out of going to war, but choose to have their brothers back. It's simply a choice one makes.

Consider this:
How do you get to the next level? Recruiting top talent that is destined for the NFL.

What helps in recruiting that level of talent? Showing the recruits that you as thier coach will keep thier best interests in mind to help them achieve thier ultimate goal.

So to me, this is why you see Muschamp saying that he is there to "support the student athlete"...he knows ultimately there is greater benefit for the program in doing so.
so true. Also can be a double edge sword. how many athletes have we had that has left early, then landed way late in the draft, or even gone undrafted? Choices, I tell ya.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT