ADVERTISEMENT

I miss Drive-In movies! I heard a news report Wal-Mart was going to

Anyone remember the R/X rated drive in Eau Claire near Sunset Dr.?

Last edited:
Yeah those movies were awesome. If I remember correctly the shaggy DA was a part of those movies.. Great wholesome movies.. The first movie at a drive in that I watched was Grease. I saw it at the East Main drive-in in Lake City, SC.

I have a friend who was born and raised in Lake, SC.

When we went to the drive in movies, it seems like it was always a western with Clint Eastwood...I do however remember seeing Grease, Dr. Zhivago, and The Godfather....Boy I'm getting old...Oh, and "Walking Tall with Buford Pusser"
Who in the world ever watched the movie at the Drive-In?

The ones we use to attend a lot when I was in high school were:
The Skyland Drive In - Poinsett Hwy.
The Augusta Road Drive In
The Whitehorse Road Drive In.

There were others but it seems like the ones above were the ones we frequented the most.
I grew up five miles from the one on Whitehorse Rd.

It's still there...so is the one on Volunteer Parkway in Bristol just past the race track....

Have you ever attended the one near the TN/NC state line? And if so was it nice, relatively speaking of course? Example, nice concession stand, etc.

Ever been to New Mexico Freddie? I am dying to get out there. The wide-open spaces shown in Breaking Bad made me fall in love with it but I still haven’t made it out yet.

A guy I know that lives in Marion, NC goes out to New Mexico quite often to visit relatives. He was telling me that there is a stretch of interstate near Albuquerque that has some type of "speed bumps" and one can roll down the windows in the car and drive at 45 miles/hr and the "road plays" God Bless America.

Reactions: Elgringo
If i remember correctly back in the early-mid 80s the one in Lexington was showing Bruce Lee or some kinda x rated at the time.i was only about 12 so i could be wrong about the x rated part.somebody turned it into a driving range and i bought a set of clubs there.I live about a mile off of two-notch rd and its a straight shot to the big mo.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Greenwood is nice except for restrooms
Don’t know about restrooms there but to say they are as good as the ones at many outdoor events. I’ve been there many times and drive in is great there. 3 different screens with triple features, if you want to stay that long.

If i remember correctly back in the early-mid 80s the one in Lexington was showing Bruce Lee or some kinda x rated at the time.i was only about 12 so i could be wrong about the x rated part.somebody turned it into a driving range and i bought a set of clubs there.I live about a mile off of two-notch rd and its a straight shot to the big mo.
Where at off 2 Notch Rd do you live?? Just askin'. I lived in Lake Carolina for 10 years. Just curious. No biggy.

The Big Mo in Monetta is still open but the owner is all bought into the virus hoopla and is STILL not opening for movies.
Not sure how much more socially distanced one can be than in your own car at a drive-in but its his business so he can do that he wants.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Me too....here are the one's I remember...

Greer Drive In (mom and dad took us here a lot).
Moonlight in Inman
Thunderbirld in Spartanburg
Cedar Lane Drive IN in Greenville...I think it went X rated in the early 80s
South 29 in Spartanburg..the X rated drive in.

When we did not go to the drive in movies...my dad liked to go to Greenville/Pickens Speedway or Riverside Speedway (dirt track in Travelers Rest)...I do say I miss Riverside Speedway...

Augusta Road Drive In
Belmont ( on 29 at Taylor’s )
King Cotton ( 29 at Greer )

Ever been to New Mexico Freddie? I am dying to get out there. The wide-open spaces shown in Breaking Bad made me fall in love with it but I still haven’t made it out yet.

The very best Mexican Food anywhere. I have heard it’s because of the local peppers, but you haven’t had the best until you have been there. Margaritas too.

Reactions: Elgringo
The 75 inch flat screens with surround sound works for me

I'm going to get a 65" screen soon. But there is just something special about going to a Drive In movie. You are outdoors with other people and it is just enjoyable.

I forgot to reply to asking if I had been the Stateline Drive In in Elizabethton...I have not...I have been tempted recently to go to the one off Volunteer Parkway in Bristol....

On a different note, we plan to visit Erwin next week if all goes well. We are going to take a picnic lunch and find the state park Rock Creek I believe is the one you mentioned. I can't wait to go.

On a different note, we plan to visit Erwin next week if all goes well. We are going to take a picnic lunch and find the state park Rock Creek I believe is the one you mentioned. I can't wait to go.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cherokee/recarea/?recid=34978

Here is a little more info to help you....if you need directions, let me know which way you are coming...my guess is, the quickest way from Marion is to come up to Spruce Pine and come across into Tennessee that way...or are you going over to Asheville and come up I26?

Oh wait, I thought y'all had decided on Unaka Springs by the Nolichuky River Gorge...
https://www.nolichucky.com

You could actually do both...but it would make it an all day affair...

Be sure to look at all the photo's on the nolichucky site...some of the most relaxing photos and prettiest scenes in the entire mountain south...

Last edited:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cherokee/recarea/?recid=34978

Here is a little more info to help you....if you need directions, let me know which way you are coming...my guess is, the quickest way from Marion is to come up to Spruce Pine and come across into Tennessee that way...or are you going over to Asheville and come up I26?

Oh wait, I thought y'all had decided on Unaka Springs by the Nolichuky River Gorge...
https://www.nolichucky.com

You could actually do both...but it would make it an all day affair...

Be sure to look at all the photo's on the nolichucky site...some of the most relaxing photos and prettiest scenes in the entire mountain south...

We will be coming up via Asheville. Sometimes we go via Newland but it is usually bit busy traffic wise and a little more dangerous than going via I-40 to Asheville and I-26 to Erwin. Plus, I love Sam's Gap, a beautiful area in the mountains.

I like The Big Moe but I have purchased a very nice projector and created my own backyard theater next to my pool. It’s a very sweet setup.

had a neighbor admit to me a few months ago he and his wife sit often sit their hot tub on their patio and watch my backyard movies.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT