ADVERTISEMENT

I think we’re living in the worst time ever to be a Gamecock

Meh. Being a Gamecock is about lots more than football scores.

I’m a Gamecock and I’m always going to be a Gamecock. I don’t back down.

i know it’s hard to appreciate right now but our kids are having success in lots of sports not called football.

I could have gone to Clemson but I didn’t. I already went to high school!

Sir, I need "pick-me-ups" like your post.

Just donate your money to the school and not the sports programs. (Except for ladies BB). I don't believe USC will ever be successful in men's sports with the current board of trustees or AD. The bobo hire is indicative how Champ is still trying to play offense the way the SEC did 10 years ago. I have only gone to see the Ladies play BB with my kids and they love it. Guess what it costs a fraction of what it would be taking in a losing Football game. the App State game hurt me way more than the Citadel game 5 years ago. I'm sorry but there is no excuse to losing to them. Maybe we should have let Sean Elliott have more of a chance. Here to 10 more frustrating years to getting this correct.

The Problem is it won't never get any better than Spurrier had it during his 3 year stretch.
I know I want ever see any kind of Championship in Football in my lifetime.
But being a Gamecock Football fan has helped me in life. I always prepare for the worst case scenario.

That’s pretty stupid. If anyone actually tries to tell me that they feel just as good about our women’s basketball team & volleyball team winning as they would about football & basketball doing so, I’ll call them a damn liar.
I do and I’m not a liar. If you are so narrow minded that only football matters to you then you should change your handle to Only Football Matters.
Each kid female or male that earns a scholarship to South Carolina should be respected, cheered and acknowledged for their accomplishments. Any less is a slap to their face.

Reactions: GeoCocky
I have been a fan since the early 70's and thought we might have turned things around with the 11 win seasons but due to lack of foresight we are back to being one of the worst programs in the country. It is not just that we are bad in men's sports. It is also bad because I don't see any hope for the future being any better any time soon. Our athletic department is just so blah and undynamic.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I do and I’m not a liar. If you are so narrow minded that only football matters to you then you should change your handle to Only Football Matters.
Each kid female or male that earns a scholarship to South Carolina should be respected, cheered and acknowledged for their accomplishments. Any less is a slap to their face.

I believe you, sir, to be a liar. Ain’t no way you’re as satisfied when our softball team beats Georgia as you are when the baseball team takes a series from LSU.

You are a hot head that likes to hear your own voice. I am not a lair and I embrace each team as they compete. Sorry to burst your make believe bumble.

Now scurry along time find another person to bully.

Every time a student puts on a Carolina uniform that person should be acknowledged and supported. If you don’t then you should be ashamed.

Not even close 1999-2000, at least won sec 1996-1997 (E. Fogler). You’d think winning consistently in bb sec wouldn’t be so difficult, but .....idk.
2000 was the start of something special for the baseball program. That team was legendary. They lost in supers but were a winning machine that set the tone for the program for the next 12 years.

You are a hot head that likes to hear your own voice. I am not a lair and I embrace each team as they compete. Sorry to burst your make believe bumble.

Now scurry along time find another person to bully.

Every time a student puts on a Carolina uniform that person should be acknowledged and supported. If you don’t then you should be ashamed.

For sure we all do but men’s sports drive the train. Come on.

For sure we all do but men’s sports drive the train. Come on.
I never said it didn’t. And I do understand football pays the way. But I support all teams equally men’s and women’s. I live a little win they win and lose a little when they lose.

but tell that to the 12-15K that turns out for women’s basketball. Think you will get a different opinion from many.

Reactions: SCexpat38
One might could argue the early 80s (81-83), or the early to mid-90s (90-95). We simply are not good at any of the most important 3. This time, I believe, is worse because clemson is the most dominant force in college football right now to top off our shittyness. It also makes matters worse because we’ve tasted baseball titles, real football strength, & a final four.

For me, personally, I don’t know if I’ve ever been this dejected as a Gamecock.
Maybe you are not old enough to have experienced the Marvin Bass years but they were BAD!

Ray Tanner was a motivated winner. I really didn’t think he’d allow this to happen. I was wrong. He’s an atrocious AD.

A lot of us where wrong man. I don't think anybody thought it would get this bad........ All we can do is pick up the pieces and try to move on. That process probably starts after next season. I hope I'm wrong and Will turns it around next year. What's the win total need to be next season to save his job? I say 8 wins with a close bowl loss, or 7 wins with a bowl win for number 8.

@BobbyBReloaded1975 "When he left we still had a chance to do big things and our inept baseball coach made possibly the dumbest hire in SEC history."
Out of all the choices RT had he made the worst one and then compounds that with a ridiculous buyout. He's an AD's coach's dream and loves to spend USC money. There's something wrong with him. He's not mentally focused. He has set GC FB back a decade. Wonder how he sleeps at nite?
He is worse than King Dixon and Holderman.

1. Whole team on steroids
2. Drunk coach that had 2 families
3. Embezzlement

Nah......there have been worse times.....only problem now is that Clemson has instituted a McGee/Hyman regime while we gave the keys to Sunflower Seed because he won in a sport that doesn't really matter....

Reactions: SOSUSC
@BobbyBReloaded1975 "When he left we still had a chance to do big things and our inept baseball coach made possibly the dumbest hire in SEC history."
Out of all the choices RT had he made the worst one and then compounds that with a ridiculous buyout. He's an AD's coach's dream and loves to spend USC money. There's something wrong with him. He's not mentally focused. He has set GC FB back a decade. Wonder how he sleeps at nite?
He is worse than King Dixon and Holderman.

The board and Tanner much too close. Especially Eddie Floyd and Ray. It’s the buddy system.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Yes we are and here’s why . Spurrier proved that with the right coaching and winning culture we can win big here . He proved the people wrong who said USC would never have success . When he left we still had a chance to do big things and our inept baseball coach made possibly the dumbest hire in SEC history . This decision will set us back at least 10 years if not more . Before Spurrier we kinda just expected mediocrity and embraced it . It almost feels like we did a weird time skip over the Lou and Spurrier years and we landed back in the mid nineties and we didn’t even need a flux capacitor and a Delorean , just an idiot AD and a dolt of a coach . Buckle up boys , ain’t looking much better the next few years .
Spurriers success at USC was just a flash in the pan. 4 out of 10 years he was above average. Spurrier showed that success was possible but that maintaining success at USC is nearly impossible.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
Spurriers success at USC was just a flash in the pan. 4 out of 10 years he was above average. Spurrier showed that success was possible but that maintaining success at USC is nearly impossible.
I posted a few weeks ago that Spurrier really just showed the rest of the country how hard it is to build a winner here. I got flamed big time but I still think that. There are very few schools that could go from 11 wins to 7 to 3 and just fall off of the map like we did under a HOF coach. I think it was a major red flag to many prospective coaches out there.

Reactions: DocSmith89
I posted a few weeks ago that Spurrier really just showed the rest of the country how hard it is to build a winner here. I got flamed big time but I still think that. There are very few schools that could go from 11 wins to 7 to 3 and just fall off of the map like we did under a HOF coach. I think it was a major red flag to many prospective coaches out there.
True, even HOF coach Lou Holtz couldn’t get it done.

One might could argue the early 80s (81-83), or the early to mid-90s (90-95). We simply are not good at any of the most important 3. This time, I believe, is worse because clemson is the most dominant force in college football right now to top off our shittyness. It also makes matters worse because we’ve tasted baseball titles, real football strength, & a final four.

Yes, I agree with you. Clemson’s success make being down, worse. But, it was hard in Brad Scott’s last two years. Remember the Dicky DeMasi game. I was at Myrtle Beach in a sports bar. My wife a Clemson fan and outnumbered 10-1.

There are 41 bowl games I think, so 82 teams. This puts us in the lower third of all teams since we didn’t qualify for one, but I bet Ray still gets a raise.

Reactions: Tall Squirrel

Not quite gonna agree with this. 2010-2013 we had 42 wins. That's 10.5 wins/season. 4 years is plenty of a sample size to say it can be done & maintained.

1. Whole team on steroids
2. Drunk coach that had 2 families
3. Embezzlement

Nah......there have been worse times.....only problem now is that Clemson has instituted a McGee/Hyman regime while we gave the keys to Sunflower Seed because he won in a sport that doesn't really matter....
That sport( baseball) matters to me!

Agree.
Disagree. You can get 4 years from 1 or 2 recruiting class hits. Maintaining requires reloading every year.
Just so happened that the state of SC had really good talent during that time such as Lattimore and Clowney that chose to play for USC.

Nowhere to go but up?

50 something years of fandom and I would agree this is our darkest time. The Woods' era and Scott era were pretty bad. But at least I never felt stuck with what we had with no hope in sight. So for me, to put it bluntly, things are more hopeless than they were then because you can't count on those you should be able to count on to correct a bad situation and put it behind us. Not like you could in the past. That in and of itself makes these darker days

Reactions: Tall Squirrel

Spurrier showed it can be done. You cannot go to sleep. It is hard. Real hard. It is the SEC. For us to be great we have to have a great AD. The rest follows.

Look at where we are.

$30 million in buyouts in failing programs
A failing FB and MBB program
A less than successful BB program

No direction in the ADS office. No vision, flailing in the wind. Throwing good money after bad (Bobo hire).

I sincerely don’t get the Bobo hire. With UGA’s talent most OCs could direct the team to a 10 win season. At CSU Bobo was below average (70% win rate). I don’t get it, except that he is buddies with WM.

50 something years of fandom and I would agree this is our darkest time. The Woods' era and Scott era were pretty bad. But at least I never felt stuck with what we had with no hope in sight. So for me, to put it bluntly, things are more hopeless than they were then because you can't count on those you should be able to count on to correct a bad situation and put it behind us. Not like you could in the past. That in and of itself makes these darker days
And let’s not forget during all this our newly acquired President was proven a liar by the Greenville News. Amateur hour in Columbia and it’s bad.

The exact present moment isn't great but as a decade, 2010s is the best Gamecock Athletics has seen. Football, baseball, men's basketball and women's basketball all had their greatest achievements. Making progress baby!

and even then when we had all those losses, watching tannyhill, cates, bennett was at least fun. now we don’t really have any firecrackers.

Reactions: bucketdad
The exact present moment isn't great but as a decade, 2010s is the best Gamecock Athletics has seen. Football, baseball, men's basketball and women's basketball all had their greatest achievements. Making progress baby!
That's the Long view. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT