ADVERTISEMENT

I will get steam rolled for this but I will say it anyway.

BedouinCock

Jan 4, 2008
There has been and continues to be a lot of criticism toward the Gamecock football staff's weak recruiting over the past several years. I offer to you that when we on this board blast the football staff and say all the other negative stuff about the team, etc, we are some of contributing elements toward young men not wanting to sign with the Gamecocks. The recruits read these boards and there is a very high possibility that they are turned off buy the mindless stuff we all say, and I include myself in this.

So, while we might have one finger pointing toward the football coaches, but we have four more pointing back at ourselves as the culprits and part of the problem. We have met the enemy and it is us, guys. The truth will set us free but it will make us feel miserable in the process.

Go Gamecocks!!!

Can you name one single team in D-I football whose fans don't do the same thing? If recruits are not going to sign with a school because of negative comments from the fanbase, where are they going to go - overseas?

1082033474.jpeg

I've come around to what some have been saying about the recruiting after seeing what we've fielded this year. I don't think negative web board commentary really helps either. But hard work, more money and attention would make it moot. Coaches need to quit punching a clock. In this day and time recruiting is a year round activity.

Well, I won't steamroll you over that. I guess I can see your point. But I think a bigger problem (for me anyway) is what's happening on the field than what's happening on this board. I'm much more bothered by a defense that has more holes in it than Swiss cheese and an offense that has very little get up and go. But that's must my opinion.

Reactions: jerryusc
Only problem is that the recruiting issues we have today doesn't have all that much to do with the class that signed last spring. These are problems that go back prior to that when we were doing nothing but heaping praise on the coaching staff.

I don't like hearing all the constant criticism, but I don't think that is what is hurting our recruiting. Spurrier is my favorite coach of all time, and I still hold out hope he will somehow turn it around. I don't necessarily think Spurrier is completely done, but we need to seriously revamp our recruiting approach at the end of the season.

There has been and continues to be a lot of criticism toward the Gamecock football staff's weak recruiting over the past several years. I offer to you that when we on this board blast the football staff and say all the other negative stuff about the team, etc, we are some of contributing elements toward young men not wanting to sign with the Gamecocks. The recruits read these boards and there is a very high possibility that they are turned off buy the mindless stuff we all say, and I include myself in this.

So, while we might have one finger pointing toward the football coaches, but we have four more pointing back at ourselves as the culprits and part of the problem. We have met the enemy and it is us, guys. The truth will set us free but it will make us feel miserable in the process.

Go Gamecocks!!!

Not really accurate at all. Our recruiting issues go back longer than the last 4 weeks. We need deeper pockets to get Bamas players.

Spurrier asked for ideas so advising changes on defense may be negative
To some but even a recruit in hs can see a defense that gives up 50 points has problems. Recruits also want to play for winners

We still have these posts on our board too. Fan is short for fanatic. Everyone has them. If we lose to Notre Dame next Saturday you can read some horrific stuff on our board. But that's not unique to us or you. Bama's board was a dumpster fire Saturday.

Don't flatter yourself. 17 year old kids are NOT reading these boards to see what a very minute percentage of the fan base thinks, one way or another. They're too busy shooting selfies with cash, or twittering, or snapchatting, or whatever else has just come out on the internet for people under 18 to do to celebrate their youth. They could not care less what you, I, or Foghorn Leghorn might post here.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
So our weak 2014 class can be attributed to a negative fanbase and board? We were coming off our third consecutive 11 win season and a final top five ranking. I don't recall any negativity in the air. If you ask me, Spurrier and staff spent more time bragging about their accomplishments like the Clemson streak at speaking engagements instead of actually recruiting.

Reactions: Laziness
So our weak 2014 class can be attributed to a negative fanbase and board? We were coming off our third consecutive 11 win season and a final top five ranking. I don't recall any negativity in the air. If you ask me, Spurrier and staff spent more time bragging about their accomplishments like the Clemson streak at speaking engagements instead of actually recruiting.
It was not the weak 2014 class, it was the weak 2015 class that came after a 7-6 record, the worst D in decade(s), and Spurriers 2-3 more years comment.

There may be some truth to it...who knows. I'm sure every fan base has some negative people in them & there's no way to avoid that. Guess you have to take the good with the bad.

It was not the weak 2014 class, it was the weak 2015 class that came after a 7-6 record, the worst D in decade(s), and Spurriers 2-3 more years comment.

Please remind me who the gems are from the 2014 class?

Fans are fickle, recruits are fickle too, everyone knows that or they should. Start winning again it's like all that losing you just did never mattered. Fans will start pounding their chest against and the recruits will want to jump on board because they want to pound their chests too. The only thing that is really a problem is when people try to paint over major problems within a team dynamic that are causing actual failures as "just another down swing." Working to convince everyone that we should do nothing except wait for the problems to get better on their own without actually fixing anything.

That column was from way back in 2009. Missing is all of the other supportive material -- and much, much more would be needed to convince me -- that indicates that by and large the reading of message boards by these high school players is common. The point is that there is no hard evidence that supports that these young recruits are consuming message board info on a regular basis. Did that one kid read up on a message board? Yep, but there was a lot of chatter going on about his situation already. Sure, some kids are bound to read message boards. But that would be the exception, not the rule, IMO. I suspect that most of the time, they would be delving in only if there was some big public talk going on about their situation. The percentage of supporters who chatter on these message boards is miniscule compared to the overall number of fans for every school. I don't think we message board readers should take the boards too seriously. Just a place mostly to crow, vent, or to read what a relatively few diehard fans are saying at any given time about the program.

These post are the best.I love when I see someone post something on here and 17 people respond. You can then go over to tigernet and If it's something negative they will have it linked saying the USC fans are all saying this. Yes, 17 fans on the message board are all 200,000 plus USC fans. So freaking stupid...

These post are the best.I love when I see someone post something on here and 17 people respond. You can then go over to tigernet and If it's something negative they will have it linked saying the USC fans are all saying this. Yes, 17 fans on the message board are all 200,000 plus USC fans. So freaking stupid...
Yeah, I think the 70,000+ screaming fans in WB override what a a couple of dozen idiots may say on a message board.

I've lost count of the number of recruiting articles I've read in which a player committed to us says he barely hears from us at all while other schools call him all the time. Character is the latest example of this. These players are literally saying out loud that they don't like being neglected and yet here we are.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I've lost count of the number of recruiting articles I've read in which a player committed to us says he barely hears from us at all while other schools call him all the time. Character is the latest example of this. These players are literally saying out loud that they don't like being neglected and yet here we are.

Perhaps there is a reason he is being neglected? Ever thought about it from that perspective?

Darn if he committed what are we supposed to do? Send a gift basket and thank you card out on a weekly basis so he feels the love he thinks he should be feeling?

Do I think our recruiting is where and what it should be? NO!!!!!!

Do I think we should beg any kid to come play here? NO!!!!!

If the kid is good then he should be smart enough to figure out that there is a good chance if he lands here he could see early and lot's of playing time if he is what he is reported to be.....We have plenty to offer but somehow that doesn't seem like enough for this young man....

What he apparently needs is someone running him down on a day-to-day basis to stroke his ego for him......Maybe some program is that desperate....Hopefully we aren't to that point yet....

If he feels he needs to look elsewhere its probably best we know now rather than to find out after he lands on campus......

Stupid, whiner, out of touch, complainer fans, which I think we can all agree South Carolina has more of than any other school are not the problem with recruiting IMO.
Having a 70 year old coach who hems and haws around about staying is a problem
Having a staff full of people Spurrier "likes" and not full of recruiters is a problem
Being "South Carolina" and recruits worrying we will go back to being what we are and have always been (and what the whiners/complainers pretend we weren't) is a problem.
Other schools point all of this out to recruits.
This or any other message board is not a recruiting problem IMO.

A recent poll showed that 45% of South Carolinians are Carolina fans and 27% are Clemson fans, which means there are almost 2.2 million Carolina fans just in South Carolina.

BS on this, the results on the field and the recruiting flaws are the reason for some of the problems we have. Too many people want to blame it on fans and social media, another BS to that. Kids are attracted to winning teams and that is the bottom line.

Because recruits are reading message boards...? What? When have you ever heard a recruit say "I was going to pick Tennessee, but their message board fans are such dicks. I'm going to Florida!"

Reactions: parhley
And that's why we lose recruits. I actually think our players we have now are good enough. But Spurrier's mouth lost us some recruits and like the guy you responded to said, we dont stay in touch with some guys.. Character clearly said "i didn't know Hoke was the DC".... That is Ward's fault. And clearly yet again, Character said "Muschamp stays in touch more"....that is not a gift basket every week. That mean Jon Hoke, who I like; needs to giving that kid a sure voice every week. This is recruiting, not begging, you have to assure these impressonAble kids that you still have a need for them. And if they want you to call more than someone who they arent commited to, why wouldnt you as a recruiter. Duuuuuh.

Perhaps Hoke doesn't want the kid....You nor I are have any clue what is going on with this. Perhaps it is neglect....Perhaps they have a better player in mind an aren't following up for a reason...

Try having a little patience.....If he has enjoyed the last 2 years of Ward running things on the D side he clearly hasn't been paying attention

The problems we have in recruiting are many . . . really . . . lack of effort and leadership in recruiting from top to bottom, lack of funds spent to create a MULTI-TASK office staff of recruiters/promoters constantly pumping the Carolina cause, and lack of consistency - plugging away year after year regardless of how good OR bad we have done in the won-lost area.

Think about it. How many times since the Morrison Era have we been called on the carpet by the NCAA for RECRUITING violations???? . . . . . . . . . . .None. Zero. Zilch. There's a message there guys and gals. Remember, now, before you jump all over ole '67 - this is America! Americans HATE a loser!

Reactions: parhley

Go Gamecocks!!!
Oh yeah Palmer, Few, and all the rest are our fault. Not our golf playing ass-scratching coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT