ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder if LJ Peak regrets his decision now?

TN-Gamecock

May 10, 2002
Erwin, TN/Originally from Greer
The former Gaffney basketball star who did the ultimate disrespect on announcement day when he
Put on a Carolina hat, then threw it on the floor and put on a Georgetown hat...the place went from crazy applause to a quite stunned.....

He's at Georgetown averaging 16 pts per game on a team that 12-11 and in 9th place in the big east....he won't sniff the NCAA during his remaining time at Georgetown....

He is exactly what we needed to compliment Sindarius with his high powered scoring and rebounding ability...hope he's happy....

Where I'm going with this is, I sure hope Zion from Spartanburg considers signing with us...he will the talk of the state and the conference just like Sindarius...Peak on the other hand only came to my mind while I'm thinking about the loss to Bama...who did we recruit hard and picked another program who is maybe a star on their team? Peak came to mind...

When I think of how his announcement went down, I hope Georgetown loses the rest of their games...he really should've been a Gamecock!!!!

Woods and Felton I get, sorta. As a gamecock with garnet tinted glasses both Peak and Tevin Mack were given great chances to be big time hometown heroes and chose poorly. Screw them!! Hope that they can find a post basketball job in DC and Texas because nobody with USC roots should go out of their way for them. Probably too harsh, I might reconsider

The problem is that these guys have too many purely selfish bros getting in their ears about where they should go. Their families mean well but none will ever be asked to analyze basketball at ESPN. I think if I hear another prima donna "baller" backstab the school they commit to, then drag God and prayer into their newest decision, I'm going to vomit.

Lot of kids feel they are too big time to play here. Woods would have been better off here. Have heard some say he wouldn't fit here but find that hard to believe

Reactions: gamecockblack
Woods and Felton I get, sorta. As a gamecock with garnet tinted glasses both Peak and Tevin Mack were given great chances to be big time hometown heroes and chose poorly. Screw them!! Hope that they can find a post basketball job in DC and Texas because nobody with USC roots should go out of their way for them. Probably too harsh, I might reconsider

Not too harsh imo; simply reality. We look out for the hometown kids. The rest of 'em can take the 'Metro'.

Hopefully, this year's team can create a "wind of change" in these recruits eyes. It's really tough to recruit at a program that has been down for so long.

I think we have the right coach in place. We just need to win a game or two in the big dance this year to get the ball rolling. Last night's loss was tough but I still think this team is capable of making a run.

I saw where Mack was the Texas Basketball team's leading scorer....his team I believe is 10-12....
He chose Shaka over Frank...go figure....

Tevin was suspended in early January by Texas, indefinitely

word on the street it was for yelling and physical fighting/altercations with teammates,

Maybe not getting him was OK in hindsight, has been a cancer at Texas

Last edited:
It sure would be nice if one of the next batch of highly rated high school guys would take charge and try to get a few of them to all go to Carolina. Can you imagine if we had Peak, Seventh, Mack and then would add Felton/Shuler, then Zion? We would be competing for NCs. I know Sin and P.J. stayed home but too bad none of the other guys did. It happened in football, once we got Gilmore/Holliman/Lattimore, etc. And look how good we got. It wouldn`t take but 2 or 3 of these top guys deciding to play here together. Let`s hope it happens one day soon.

My son was recruited heavily by an instate school in Virginia and many others close by that would have been a good fit. He chose USC. My point is it all evens out in the long haul.

Who is your son, and why did he choose SC when others in state would have fit? Just curious?

It sure would be nice if one of the next batch of highly rated high school guys would take charge and try to get a few of them to all go to Carolina. Can you imagine if we had Peak, Seventh, Mack and then would add Felton/Shuler, then Zion? We would be competing for NCs. I know Sin and P.J. stayed home but too bad none of the other guys did. It happened in football, once we got Gilmore/Holliman/Lattimore, etc. And look how good we got. It wouldn`t take but 2 or 3 of these top guys deciding to play here together. Let`s hope it happens one day soon.

The Gamecocks you mention here can all write their own ticket anywhere in SC for the rest of their lives. I wish these other in-state kids could see that, and think beyond just getting an NBA contract before they turn 22. Reasonable success at SC can give them the same benefit in the long run with the added benefits of playing in their home state.

I was told LJ never took a visit to Georgetown, is that right?
I heard the same thing. What pissed me off is when he committed. He did it at Shaq Davidson Press Conference. He knew it would be a bigger crowd. He was trying to steal the Spotlight from Shaq and he knew he was coming to us. Then throw the hat down of your teammate. No CLASS

Reactions: RaginRooster
I heard the same thing. What pissed me off is when he committed. He did it at Shaq Davidson Press Conference. He knew it would be a bigger crowd. He was trying to steal the Spotlight from Shaq and he knew he was coming to us. Then throw the hat down of your teammate. No CLASS
Let it go!

LJ never visited Georgetown, but thought they had a history of great players and would give him a better chance to get to the NBA, getting a few guys to the NBA will help us with recruits like Peak that have that criteria as # 1.

The Gamecocks you mention here can all write their own ticket anywhere in SC for the rest of their lives. I wish these other in-state kids could see that, and think beyond just getting an NBA contract before they turn 22. Reasonable success at SC can give them the same benefit in the long run with the added benefits of playing in their home state.
you're asking 17 year old kids to think and act like 40 year olds.

full disclaimer: yes, I'm 40!

The former Gaffney basketball star who did the ultimate disrespect on announcement day when he
Put on a Carolina hat, then threw it on the floor and put on a Georgetown hat...the place went from crazy applause to a quite stunned.....

He's at Georgetown averaging 16 pts per game on a team that 12-11 and in 9th place in the big east....he won't sniff the NCAA during his remaining time at Georgetown....

He is exactly what we needed to compliment Sindarius with his high powered scoring and rebounding ability...hope he's happy....

Where I'm going with this is, I sure hope Zion from Spartanburg considers signing with us...he will the talk of the state and the conference just like Sindarius...Peak on the other hand only came to my mind while I'm thinking about the loss to Bama...who did we recruit hard and picked another program who is maybe a star on their team? Peak came to mind...

When I think of how his announcement went down, I hope Georgetown loses the rest of their games...he really should've been a Gamecock!!!!

Zion is not coming here. Would be awesome but don't get your hopes up. If he stays in state he is going to clemson and even that is like a 10% chance.

We are building a good program finally will keep getting better with or without Zion.

Last edited:
Zion is not coming here. Would be awesome but don't get your hopes up. If he stays in state he is going to clemson and even that is like a 10% chance.

We are building a good program finally will keep getting better with or without Zion.
Why would he waste his time coming to one of our games?

Why would he waste his time coming to one of our games?

Same reason Seventh Woods did. To watch basketball and have fans yell your name. Most of these kids already know where they are going. With Zion it's pretty much Duke

I don't understand the OP. Does Boosie or the others who have transferred out the past few years regret his decision?

Tevin was suspended in early January by Texas, indefinitely

word on the street it was for yelling and physical fighting/altercations with teammates,

Maybe not getting him was OK in hindsight, has been a cancer at Texas

" and if there's two things I hate, cancer, and tag teams with relatives."

Woods and Felton were going to UNC no matter what. Tevin Mack wasn't heavily recruited by USC until the summer before his senior year. Peak on the other hand never visited Georgetown before signing with the Hoyas.

Not gonna bash a kid for doing what's best for his future . These blue chip recruits have one thing on their mind : One and Done and now it's time to get paid . If they go to Kentucky, Duke , UNC , etc they are on TV every night . Good luck finding one of our games on any channel other than SEC network rarely . If Zion did come here ( which he isn't) we would be up for 1 year and then back to normal . What did Ben Simmons accomplish for LSU's program future ?? The big time programs can pull it off because they reload year after year . Asking a kid like that to chose us over UNC or Duke over us is like having a 5 star QB go to Troy over Bama or Auburn . Not saying it can't happen but I wouldn't hold my breath

It would be great to sign more players like that but like Simmons at LSU they don't always pan out. Look at NC State this year they have one and he is a real good player but they have a bad record

I don't understand the OP. Does Boosie or the others who have transferred out the past few years regret his decision?
My point is...Peak is the best player on a crappy team that may not sniff the NIT...he could've been at Carolina....the ones that transfer out usually haven't panned out for whatever reason.....

In the case of Peak...he did the royal disrespect....which was part of my OP....

KARMA has come to roost.....lol

My point is...Peak is the best player on a crappy team that may not sniff the NIT...he could've been at Carolina....the ones that transfer out usually haven't panned out for whatever reason.....

In the case of Peak...he did the royal disrespect....which was part of my OP....

KARMA has come to roost.....lol
With the addition of Peake, South Carolina could've been really good early on.

We're near the ceiling if we don't start getting players the caliber of Zion and some of these others who can score. As for Leak, he's all about himself. As long as he's playing regularly and touching the ball frequently, he's not losing sleep over their record. I would say he has no regrets that involve South Carolina.

Frank gets the most out of better-than-average, less-than-great players by getting them to work hard on defense and rebounding. We've proven we can win 20 games using that approach and can qualify for the post-season. But if you want to be a Big Boy, you have to stock your team the way they do.

Just like football, we need a competitive team for several years for these local kids to grow up pulling for us and wanting to play for us. If Martin keeps having 24+ wins seasons, recruiting will get easier.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT