ADVERTISEMENT

If and it’s a big if , UCF beats up on LSU

BobbyB1975

Sep 9, 2018
Do we have to admit that maybe they have an argument?? They beat an Auburn team badly last year that pretty much spanked Bama and UGA . Now that Auburn team by all accounts had cashed it in and without their best player , but a win is a win . If UCF handles LSU convincingly, I think the committee is gonna have to let them in at some point . Thoughts ???

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Do we have to admit that maybe they have an argument?? They beat an Auburn team badly last year that pretty much spanked Bama and UGA . Now that Auburn team by all accounts had cashed it in and without their best player , but a win is a win . If UCF handles LSU convincingly, I think the committee is gonna have to let them in at some point . Thoughts ???
Their schedule as tough as ND or Clemson's . Pure politics.

No LSU is not a team good enough to be in the playoffs. Now if UCF was playing Bama or Georgia and punked them I would say yes because those are the two hottest SEC teams now

Last edited:
If UCF had their QB I would have picked them to win. I just can't see it happening though with the backup.

Reactions: Brace1
Also everyone who dismisses UCF ... remember last time we played them . It was an absolute dogfight and we were very lucky to get out of Orlando with a win , and that was one of our better teams . Blake Bortles lit us up .

Actually the last time we played UCF we played Lorenzo Nunez at QB, you could tell Spurrier wanted to quit, and I’m pretty sure they went 0-12.

But the game you referenced was difficult. Of course we had a decent lead in the 4th and decided to phone it in the last few minutes to make it worse than it was.

UCF does have an argument. Just not a good enough argument. They are a good team. They’d probably beat us. And they might even be able to upset a team like ND, Ohio State, or Oklahoma as I think UCF is better than Pitt (UCF blew them out), Army, or Maryland who gave these teams fits. But If UCF played in a conference like the SEC they’d have at least 2 losses. I do think they would’ve won the Coastal Division of the ACC. I don’t think Clemson really earned a spot this season with the competition they played...but an undefeated Clemson team isn’t getting left out.

If this was LSU vs UCF in the season opener, I’m taking LSU and betting big. But in this situation, my hope is LSU just wants to shut them up. But this game is much bigger for UCF than it is for LSU. Same for UCF against Auburn last season. It happens every Bowl season...we see some
of these big underdogs dominate games. I think that’s one reason our Capital One / Outback Bowl record has been so good...because we play programs we are excited to play. OSU, Michigan, and Nebraska probably viewed playing us like we’d view playing Illinois or Northwestern. Yet our record in Birmingham is embarrassing (UConn & USF). It’s one reason I am concerned about us against Virginia. They had a good season for them. Ours was a bit of a letdown. Will our guys be motivated to match their energy? If not, are we just that much better? Expecting a close game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Actually the last time we played UCF we played Lorenzo Nunez at QB, you could tell Spiurrier wanted to quit, and I’m pretty sure they went 0-12.

But the game you referenced was difficult. Of course we had a decent lead in the 4th and decided to phone it in the last few minutes to make it worse than it was.

UCF does have an argument. Just not a good enough argument. They are a good team. They’d probably beat us. And they might even be able to upset a team like ND, Ohio State, or Oklahoma as I think UCF is better than Pitt (UCF blew them out), Army, or Maryland who gave these teams fits. But If UCF played in a conference like the SEC they’d have at least 2 losses. I do think they would’ve won the Coastal Division of the ACC. I don’t think Clemson really earned a spot this season with the competition they played...but an undefeated Clemson team isn’t getting left out.

Your right . I was thinking about the game in Orlando that Dylan started when Shaw was injured . I forgot much of that 2015 season !!! Spent more time fishing than watching .

No, they didn't. When Auburn beat those two teams, they had Kerrion Johnson at his best. Without him, they were no better than we were.

I mentioned that . It was also pretty obvious none of the Auburn players or coaches wanted to be there . Still a win is a win

Also everyone who dismisses UCF ... remember last time we played them . It was an absolute dogfight and we were very lucky to get out of Orlando with a win , and that was one of our better teams . Blake Bortles lit us up .
We were their only loss that year.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
That is why I’d like to see expansion...Power 5 conf champs plus 3 at large bids. Schedules could always go back to 11 games (I know, money). Give them an at large bid and see how it plays out.

That is why I’d like to see expansion...Power 5 conf champs plus 3 at large bids. Schedules could always go back to 11 games (I know, money). Give them an at large bid and see how it plays out.
No at large bids. Only take conference champs then no one can cry

So Alabama would’ve been left out of the playoff last season? And 7 others gotten in? What 8 conferences deserve bids? Have to have at-large. There will always be complaints. 3rd place used to complain. Now 5th place complains. Hell, 69th complains come March.

My concern with 8 teams is that in many cases the 8 ranked team lost twice. I have no problem with a 2-loss team getting in if it works out that way and many teams have multiple losses. But not sure a 10-2 team earned the shot to play for a National Title.

8 team playoff impacts regular season way more than just going to 4. Clemson pretty much makes an 8 team playoff before the season starts. No way they are losing twice. So a loss to some of these teams becomes no big deal.

I’m fine with 8, but I do think at that point we will have ruined what was great about CFB. People just like to complain. You better believe once it’s 8 people will want 16, or 12 like the NFL. People complained about the BCS too, but they forget before the BCS, only 8 times in history did #1 play #2 in a bowl. CFB was huge even with that. Because the regular season has so much riding on every game.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Disagree - The. Best. Eight, regardless of qualifiers. THEN, no one can cry.

If you play in a horrible, crappy conference (coughacccough), just because you're the tallest midget shouldn't automatically get you a seat at the table of 8. Be one of the best 8 period, THEN, you're in.

Disagree - The. Best. Eight, regardless of qualifiers. THEN, no one can cry.

If you play in a horrible, crappy conference (coughacccough), just because you're the tallest midget shouldn't automatically get you a seat at the table of 8. Be one of the best 8 period, THEN, you're in.
Problem is they don’t pick the best teams now. Georgia would beat the hell out of Notre Dame and CleMson

Reactions: 92Pony
So Alabama would’ve been left out of the playoff last season? And 7 others gotten in? What 8 conferences deserve bids? Have to have at-large. There will always be complaints. 3rd place used to complain. Now 5th place complains. Hell, 69th complains come March.

My concern with 8 teams is that in many cases the 8 ranked team lost twice. I have no problem with a 2-loss team getting in if it works out that way and many teams have multiple losses. But not sure a 10-2 team earned the shot to play for a National Title.

8 team playoff impacts regular season way more than just going to 4. Clemson pretty much makes an 8 team playoff before the season starts. No way they are losing twice. So a loss to some of these teams becomes no big deal.

I’m fine with 8, but I do think at that point we will have ruined what was great about CFB. People just like to complain. You better believe once it’s 8 people will want 16, or 12 like the NFL. People complained about the BCS too, but they forget before the BCS, only 8 times in history did #1 play #2 in a bowl. CFB was huge even with that. Because the regular season has so much riding on every game.
If you only take conference champs you take the politics out of it. Everyone knows what they have to do to get in the playoffs win your conference. If notre Dame isn’t in a conference guess what. They not in playoff period.

Problem is they don’t pick the best teams now. Georgia would beat the hell out of Notre Dame and CleMson
Truth.

Do computers neeed to be more involved again? Negate or at least reduce the stupid-human element?

If you only take conference champs you take the politics out of it. Everyone knows what they have to do to get in the playoffs win your conference. If notre Dame isn’t in a conference guess what. They not in playoff period.

You may take the politics out of it but you’ll have a $hitty playoff. What if Pitt upset Clemson? 8-5 Pitt in the final 8?

If we have 8, each P5 conference gets a team and then who? AAC? Mountain West? Sunbelt? Those have the highest RPI for conferences right now. Possibly Conference USA or MAC.

So the playoff this season would look like:

1 - Alabama
2 - Clemson
3 - Oklahoma
4 - Ohio State
5 - Washington
6 - UCF
7 - Fresno State (losses to Minnesota and Boise State)
8 - App State (losses to PSU and Ga Southern)

MAC - Northern Illinois (5 losses)

CUSA - UAB (Lost to Coastal, A&M, and Middle Tennessee State)

So if you go 8, then that 9th Conference now has a team go undefeated...now they are complaining like UCF.

Notre Dame left out. I know you are thinking they are forced to join the ACC so above would stay true or interchange Clemson with ND. I mean, they are independent but they have a much better resume than at least 4 of those teams, right?

No way 2 loss App State, 2 loss Fresno State, 3 loss UAB, or God forbid 5 loss NIU deserves to play for a National Title. There will always be upsets which means you’ll have an 8-5 Pitt-type team from time to time. And again, you’ll have C-USA, MAC, and every other conference complaining.

Those upsets work fine in March Madness but I want CFB to be CFB, not CBB.

Terrible, terrible idea. Have to have at large. With that playoff...what’s really the point of expanding? Pretty much comes down to one game between OSU and Washington to be in the Final Four. No thanks.

Last edited:
Truth.

Do computers neeed to be more involved again? Negate or at least reduce the stupid-human element?

Sorry, meant to respond to the Georgia would beat Clemson and ND post.

How can you prove that? Reality is what you state is not fact. UGA got beat by 20 against LSU. So you don’t think Clemson could beat them? Are they better? I don’t know. But you believing that doesn’t mean that someone else believes otherwise.

They need to stop using the term best and say deserving. That’s what they truly aim to find because they talk about quality wins, record, strength of schedule, etc. It’s about finding the 4 most deserving teams.

If we start saying they should find the best teams, we might as well pencil in the top 4 before the season starts.

Reactions: rogue cock
Somebody wimped out scheduling UCF`s opponent. So much more interest if they were playing Florida! If they beat the Gators, the argument that UF didn`t want to be there couldn`t be used. They had more to lose by playing UCF than anyone. Somebody somewhere saved their ass from potential major embarrassment and that pisses the hell out of me.

LSU good enough for the playoffs for the win to count.....cheese and rice. We haven’t beaten LSU in a gd quarter of a century and we're a supposed SEC team. If they beat them and (even if they don’t) they could hang with the top 4. Citadel and Bama 10-10 at the half? If they get blown out, they get blown out but I don’t see it and neither does Vegas with that spread, and a backup QB. You win as many games as they have (conference be damned) because you are very good, you don’t beat yourselves, and you play fundamentally sound football. Wish we did

Last edited:
Why is this even a post??? We are Gamecocks!!! Why is it our concern? We are getting paid either way...thank you SEC.

Post your thread on the UCF or LSU board. We are not playing them. We play UVA. Hypothetically we should be discussing our next opponent.

I think four is the magic number. No conference is giving up the cog so adding another 4 teams also adds additional games that I don’t think should be placed on the players. We already have players quitting on their teams and that would likely grow if more games are added. These young men are still students, exams were last week. Our players now are all beaten up and need this break desperately.

LSU good enough for the playoffs for the win to count.....cheese and rice. We haven’t beaten LSU in a gd quarter of a century and we're a supposed SEC team. If they beat them and (even if they don’t) they could hang with the top 4. Citadel and Bama 10-10 at the half? If they get blown out, they get blown out but I don’t see it and neither does Vegas with that spread, and a backup QB. You win as many games as they have (conference be damned) because you are very good, you don’t beat yourselves, and you play fundamentally sound football. Wish we did

That Alabama - Citadel game end at halftime? Hell, if we are looking at halftime scores this changes everything. Were you happy we led Florida at the end of the 3rd? I can’t give a team much credit for a 50-17 game. I sure Alabama was jacked up to defend the triple option the week before the Iron Bowl. No doubt The Citadel got their best game...

How many times we play LSU in that quarter of a century? Not like we play them every year. Certainly don’t get them in a bowl game with nothing to play for other than a trophy full of tortilla chips and salsa.

We couldn’t beat LSU in that quarter century but I’m sure of 4 times we beat UCF in that same timespan. Coming back twice to beat Memphis doesn’t earn you a spot in the playoffs. UCF is what it is...a solid team and a dangerous team. But if they aren’t undefeated in any Power 5 Conference. Any of those top 6 teams are likely undefeated with UCFs schedule. Let UCF schedule some big opponents in the regular season and they’ll get their shot. It’s completely up to them.

Last edited:
Why is this even a post??? We are Gamecocks!!! Why is it our concern? We are getting paid either way...thank you SEC.

Post your thread on the UCF or LSU board. We are not playing them. We play UVA. Hypothetically we should be discussing our next opponent.

Really easy to just ignore the thread or not respond . The college football world does not revolve around Columbia SC and if it did then God help us . Apparently more than a few people are interested in the discussion. Some of us are actually college football fans . Thanks anyway

You may take the politics out of it but you’ll have a $hitty playoff. What if Pitt upset Clemson? 8-5 Pitt in the final 8?

If we have 8, each P5 conference gets a team and then who? AAC? Mountain West? Sunbelt? Those have the highest RPI for conferences right now. Possibly Conference USA or MAC.

So the playoff this season would look like:

1 - Alabama
2 - Clemson
3 - Oklahoma
4 - Ohio State
5 - Washington
6 - UCF
7 - Fresno State (losses to Minnesota and Boise State)
8 - App State (losses to PSU and Ga Southern)

MAC - Northern Illinois (5 losses)

CUSA - UAB (Lost to Coastal, A&M, and Middle Tennessee State)

So if you go 8, then that 9th Conference now has a team go undefeated...now they are complaining like UCF.

Notre Dame left out. I know you are thinking they are forced to join the ACC so above would stay true or interchange Clemson with ND. I mean, they are independent but they have a much better resume than at least 4 of those teams, right?

No way 2 loss App State, 2 loss Fresno State, 3 loss UAB, or God forbid 5 loss NIU deserves to play for a National Title. There will always be upsets which means you’ll have an 8-5 Pitt-type team from time to time. And again, you’ll have C-USA, MAC, and every other conference complaining.

Those upsets work fine in March Madness but I want CFB to be CFB, not CBB.

Terrible, terrible idea. Have to have at large. With that playoff...what’s really the point of expanding? Pretty much comes down to one game between OSU and Washington to be in the Final Four. No thanks.

That’s what makes it fun and conference games matter and win it you in it

2011 the giants went 9-7 reg season made playoff and beat Pats to win Super Bowl. Under your logic they wouldn’t have a chance so saying it can’t happen is wrong. Everyone wants to see that Cinderella conference winner get in the ncaa bb tournament with a shot

No two loss team should ever be in the college playoffs, especially when you lose like Ga did to LSU and Ohio St did to Purdue
Giants finished 2011 9-7 reg season and won Super Bowl. They didn’t belong in nfl playoffs?

My idea with the 3 at large bids is you can still add a second team from a conference that beats up on itself. See Bama and Ga.

That’s what makes it fun and conference games matter and win it you in it

2011 the giants went 9-7 reg season made playoff and beat Pats to win Super Bowl. Under your logic they wouldn’t have a chance so saying it can’t happen is wrong. Everyone wants to see that Cinderella conference winner get in the ncaa bb tournament with a shot

That’s the freaking NFL dude. Not college football. Surely you understand the difference in the talent on each team from the NFL to CFB. You going to compare apples to apples here or just grasp as straws to make a point?

And actually by your logic, the Giants wouldn’t have made the playoffs. Only conference / division winners would’ve been in.

Nobody has answered what 8 conference get auto bids. Y’all seem to think this is simple...so who gets left out? CUSA? MAC? Mountain West? AAC? Sun Belt? This conversation is all because a team from a smaller conference has an argument for the playoff. So answer which 8 get auto-bids and who is left out? That’ll go over real well with the 2 or 3 conferences that have no shot.

As I said earlier, CFB doesn’t need to become CBB be successful. CFB works best because it is unique. Hell, I remember watching ESPN on my flight out to Phoenix for the Final Four heading everyone say it would be bad for us to make it to the Title game because at that point, the majority want to see the best teams. Cinderella is fun to 16, maybe 8. You’d seriously rather watch Alabama vs App State than Alabama vs a real opponent?

Last edited:
That UCF team played a tougher schedule than they have the last 2 seasons. If I remember correctly, we were the only team to beat them. The funny thing about that game is it was early in the season and we lost a little credit for playing them. I want to say we dropped in the polls after a close game. They would go on to win a BCS Bowl game. That season we beat them and Clemson, both of them winning BCS games. We also had a loss to an inferior UT which was killer for us that year. That was the year we should have been playing in a BCS bowl game. I think we still managed to finish the season ranked in the top-5.

Last edited:
This sounds like the Win Loss argument.
Same reason UCF got screwed UghA lost ball games.

What irritates me is losses only matter for some schools in some conferences
But (as in olden times), 2 losses should bury you unless everyone has 2

They need to quit posturing and take the 2&1 with UF. That would go a long way toward earning committee respect. They should try to schedule a game against one of the big 3 in FL. Right now they're really not that BIG. But UF is a great place to start. They're the FL team on the come up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT