ADVERTISEMENT

If expansion is about footprint, why is SEC not focused on Miami, rather than Talahassee or Clemson?

This alliance would allow them control of votes pertaining to TV rights, potential changes to scholarship limits and dozens of other things that they can bend to their will to limit the rise of the SEC.
ESPN would never allow anyone to harm the SEC. And if they tried, nothing stops the SEC schools from withdrawing. And why would the B1G want to cast its lot with lesser brands? Does the B1G really want to be the prettiest girl at the alternate prom? Right now it is the highest grossing conference. It needs head-to-head opportunities with the SEC.

ESPN would never allow anyone to harm the SEC. And if they tried, nothing stops the SEC schools from withdrawing. And why would the B1G want to cast its lot with lesser brands? Does the B1G really want to be the prettiest girl at the alternate prom? Right now it is the highest grossing conference. It needs head-to-head opportunities with the SEC.
If the SEC pulled out and left the other 3 conferences, wouldn't that put the SEC as the prettiest girl at the alternate prom?

This is not about them becoming a combined conference that shares revenue. They are talking about forming a voting rights agreement that they can use to trump the SEC when changes are on the agenda. Again, not the end of the SEC in any way or something that would affect the Big 10’s revenue directly, it is simply a counter to SEC expansion. If we expand and have more teams than any conference, and the other conferences are not unified, we would have a better chance of votes going our way. If they band together they can veto the SEC and enact change on their terms.

This is not about them becoming a combined conference that shares revenue. They are talking about forming a voting rights agreement that they can use to trump the SEC when changes are on the agenda. Again, not the end of the SEC in any way or something that would affect the Big 10’s revenue directly, it is simply a counter to SEC expansion. If we expand and have more teams than any conference, and the other conferences are not unified, we would have a better chance of votes going our way. If they band together they can veto the SEC and enact change on their terms.
I'm of the same mind. You convinced me.

I think Miami could thrive in an era with very few rules. Look at what they did during the Jimmy Johnson era. Huge media market (esp for a small private school). Nothing against Talahassee or Clemson (I'm fine with either joining), but if it is markets you want . . . .

In truth, the ACC implemented its own poison pill. They bound each other to an exit fee to stop the bleeding years back. That pill must be starting to taste pretty bad for some of these schools that have an opportunity to do something else. TV money will go to B1G and SEC.
The SEC already has a footprint in the Miami tv market with the University of Florida. Probably generates more eyeballs in the market that Miami - at this time. Just being physically located in a market doesn't mean you own it.

Clemson is located in a pretty large Market. the Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson/Asheville market is about equal to Cincinnati. However, they don't own it. We also have a footprint in the market. When Spurrier was rolling, we had more eyeballs in that market - though they are crushing us now.

Georgia Tech is in the Atlanta market. UGA crushes them in terms of eyeballs in that market.

It would be wise to look more towards UCF imo. Largest student body in the US. It would be halarious to see the SEC help build their program up to the point they are looking down at FSU and Miami in a few short years.

Actually there is plenty of info out there about what these other conferences are planning- the Big 10, Pac 12 and ACC are talking of forming an alliance. The teams within those conferences are trying to make something to rival the SEC not trying to join it. It was a vague rumor a few weeks ago and now “sources” are confirming the talks have been happening between the commissioners of those conferences. clemsun and FSU openly addressed and denied the claims they were in talks with the SEC. This is not some smoke screen to cover up their intentions, this is very clearly spelled out. The ACC would be in big trouble if FSU and cu bolted, they won’t let that happen. There is a contract they can leverage to prevent it and the ACC has very smart lawyers on their side as well. We may not know the final details of how this will all shake out but it has been made very clear that the SEC is not in talks with cu and FSU.

Why is this important?

This alliance would allow them control of votes pertaining to TV rights, potential changes to scholarship limits and dozens of other things that they can bend to their will to limit the rise of the SEC.
I agree with the above-noted reasons for this ACC/B1G/PAC-12 alliance, but two other things about it stand out to me:
1) They didn't bother including the Big XII minus IV, or Big 8, or "the Left Behind," whatever you want to call them. I think this cements that league as a tweener at best, and more along the lines of the American & Mountain West.
2) This alliance is probably also geared towards influencing/revising the format of the expanded CFB, putting a cap on the number of bids any given conference can get per season, and trying to make sure that the expanded playoff isn't just handed to ESPN but goes out of the open market for bidding (maybe to two different networks, like the AFC/NFC playoffs being on different networks or March Madness now being on both CBS and Turner networks). Not sure if they want to drop down to 5 conference champs or keep it at 6 as proposed, but the potential for multiple SEC teams in a 12 team playoff has to piss them off, even before OU and Texas join. Using last seasons final pre-bowl CFP rankings, Bama, Clemson, OSU, OU, Cincy and Coastal would've gotten autobids as the 6 highest ranked conference champs, and ND, A&M, Florida, Georgia, Iowa State and Indiana would've gotten at large bids (so 4 SEC, 2 ACC (counting ND cause of weird COVID year), 2 B1G, 2 Big XII, 1 AAC, 1 SunBelt). I think other leagues are going to want to limit at-large, non-champion bids to 2 per conference, or 3 total, so that no more than 1/4 of the 12 team CFB playoff can qualify. That seems dumb to me, particularly when the PAC-12 champ wouldn't have made it anyway, but the SEC is the bigger 800 lb gorilla and along with the Mouse the other leagues are going to do whatever they can not to get steamrolled.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
I agree with the above-noted reasons for this ACC/B1G/PAC-12 alliance, but two other things about it stand out to me:
1) They didn't bother including the Big XII minus IV, or Big 8, or "the Left Behind," whatever you want to call them. I think this cements that league as a tweener at best, and more along the lines of the American & Mountain West.
2) This alliance is probably also geared towards influencing/revising the format of the expanded CFB, putting a cap on the number of bids any given conference can get per season, and trying to make sure that the expanded playoff isn't just handed to ESPN but goes out of the open market for bidding (maybe to two different networks, like the AFC/NFC playoffs being on different networks or March Madness now being on both CBS and Turner networks). Not sure if they want to drop down to 5 conference champs or keep it at 6 as proposed, but the potential for multiple SEC teams in a 12 team playoff has to piss them off, even before OU and Texas join. Using last seasons final pre-bowl CFP rankings, Bama, Clemson, OSU, OU, Cincy and Coastal would've gotten autobids as the 6 highest ranked conference champs, and ND, A&M, Florida, Georgia, Iowa State and Indiana would've gotten at large bids (so 4 SEC, 2 ACC (counting ND cause of weird COVID year), 2 B1G, 2 Big XII, 1 AAC, 1 SunBelt). I think other leagues are going to want to limit at-large, non-champion bids to 2 per conference, or 3 total, so that no more than 1/4 of the 12 team CFB playoff can qualify. That seems dumb to me, particularly when the PAC-12 champ wouldn't have made it anyway, but the SEC is the bigger 800 lb gorilla and along with the Mouse the other leagues are going to do whatever they can not to get steamrolled.

Correct me if I am wrong but I have heard the CFP is going to seek out the 12 best teams, regardless of conference. The experts I have heard interviewed say that over and over. It does not make sense, after all the trouble establishing a 12 team playoff, that limits would be put on better teams because they happen to play tough schedules and did not win their conference. Have you heard anyone say conferences would be limited? If so, who?

I think FSU and Clemson are going to stick together on this. They won’t move without the other.
No team from the ACC will be leaving to join the SEC. The TV grant of rights handcuffs guarantees they stay unless the ACC dissolves.

No team from the ACC will be leaving to join the SEC. The TV grant of rights handcuffs guarantees they stay unless the ACC dissolves.
You simply don’t know that because that agreement is not for the public to see. You have zero idea of the loopholes it might have that would warrant it being challenge in court. While I agree with you for the most part no one knows what that contract entails.

I have access to the same news as any of you and the laughable rumors that they were being considered or in talks was immediately dispelled by both schools and the SEC I believe. There is nothing to either rumor and the financial obligations any ACC team would be liable for if they left now would cripple a program. It would take a decade or more for the enhanced revenue from SEC contracts to make up the difference. It is simply not happening or going to happen. Unless they find a reason to void their agreements they are staying out in the ACC.
I think you mean ACC school, not team.

Does anybody know if Maryland and Rutgers are finally receiving B1G revenue?

I cannot imagine a P5 conference in today's environment giving a brand new league member an "equal share" of the revenue stream right away.
If the SEC insists on going through with this lunacy of signing up the Universities of Texas and Oklahoma, they need to grab both by the short hairs quickly and let them know that bullying will not be tolerated.

Probably already said here I skimmed some longer messages but expansion is not about geographical footprint but about eye balls. In the cable age the larger concentrated area with a large fan base meant more money. Texas A and M was added and that forced SEC Network to be required in those areas so fans could watch A and M, because it would be blacked out if A and M were playing in Florida. But now everything is streaming so you’re looking at biggest fan bases. OU and Texas have large fan bases in their areas but they are also a brand all across the nation, so that Texas fan in New York or California is gonna have to now get SEC Network to watch- bigger brand, bigger fan bases. Even with the recent success Clemson doesn’t have a national following like OU and Texas.
I think that South Florida eyeballs prefer watching professional, rather than collegiate teams. We are talking about the 6th borough of New York City.

The SEC already has a footprint in the Miami tv market with the University of Florida. Probably generates more eyeballs in the market that Miami - at this time. Just being physically located in a market doesn't mean you own it.

Clemson is located in a pretty large Market. the Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson/Asheville market is about equal to Cincinnati. However, they don't own it. We also have a footprint in the market. When Spurrier was rolling, we had more eyeballs in that market - though they are crushing us now.

Georgia Tech is in the Atlanta market. UGA crushes them in terms of eyeballs in that market.
I would suggest dominates rather than crushes. An average Tech alumnus/alumna might be a software developer in Silicon Valley. An average UGA alumnus/alumna might be selling insurance in Hazlehurst, GA. More interested in, and easier travel to Athens for contests than travelling from San Jose to Atlanta.

Tech was the only game in Atlanta when the Jackets left the SEC. I wonder if Bobby Dodd would have had second thoughts about secession if he had an inkling that the NFL would place a franchise in Atlanta within three years.

You simply don’t know that because that agreement is not for the public to see. You have zero idea of the loopholes it might have that would warrant it being challenge in court. While I agree with you for the most part no one knows what that contract entails.

I thought rearranging the conference by bring more teams in might be grounds to sue for departure. When the revenue from those TV contract percentages change, don’t you think the members can void that contract?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT