ADVERTISEMENT

If Les Miles is going to Kansas, it is pretty obvious

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
he wants to coach football pretty bad.

Clear to me that Muschamp was chosen over Miles here. He had to put in for this job if he wants to coach at Kansas. I guess age factors in.

What a fall for Miles. From coaching at Oklahoma State and LSU and linked to the Michigan job, to being desperate enough to take on Kansas.

Clear to me that Muschamp was chosen over Miles here. He had to put in for this job if he wants to coach at Kansas. I guess age factors in.

What a fall for Miles. From coaching at Oklahoma State and LSU and linked to the Michigan job, to being desperate enough to take on Kansas.
At 65 years old. I just can't see it.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Of the five most boneheaded in-game decisions I have seen in my years of college football, Les Miles must have two or three of them. He had some great coordinators that helped him get that NC. If you look up clock mismanagement, it has Les Miles picture there.

Last edited:
Supposedly Miles put in for the Maryland job after Dirken was finally fired. After today MD better hire Canada.

That said, after it became obvious that Miles was serious about Kansas someone said, " He does know it's turf, right?" For those that forgot that he always tasted the grass on the opponents field. I thought that was funny.
!

Of the five most boneheaded in-game decisions I have seen in my years of college football, Les Miles must have two or three of them. He had some great coordinators that helped him get that NC. If you look up clock mismanagement, it has Les Miles picture there.

I’ll give you that but it always seemed like he had a magnetic horseshoe up his butt and won most of those clock mismanagement games.

The million dollar dream team probably didn’t have him on their long list of candidates

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
His blunder against the taters is enough for me to not want him. It was maddening how he lost that game!

That one was huge but I have often wondered if that was stupidity or just not caring. They could have easily milked clock and won that game.

Reactions: Judson1
At this stage in his career, Miles had to take any head coaching job including this woeful Kansas one. Why? Because Miles was out of the football universe for so long that he was seriously in danger of falling into the "Oblivion" category! Extremely pathetic yet extremely true!!!

If UK does hire MIles it seems like a very odd fit. Miles offense strategy is diametrically opposed to Big 12 type of play.

I don't disagree with that, but, somehow, he managed to average 10 wins per season over a decade in the toughest division of the toughest college football conference in America.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
If UK does hire MIles it seems like a very odd fit. Miles offense strategy is diametrically opposed to Big 12 type of play.
I don't think the answer for KU is to try to do what everybody else in the Big XII is doing. Maybe a strategy of being the _one_ team in the conference that plays defense and runs the ball is the way to go. Will it work? I don't know. But it's hard to imagine KU out-shooting the rest of that conference.

He has history in Big 12 at OSU. I think Kansas and Les is a good match. He brings a big name (recruiting) plus Jayhawk basketball helps. Also, old coaches (Kansas State) makes Les as middle age.

Clear to me that Muschamp was chosen over Miles here.

How exactly is this clear to you?

- Spurrier quit mid season 2015.
- Muschamp was hired December 2015.
- Miles was fired by LSU in September 2016.

Miles was not available to hire during the USC coaching search, unless you think Tanner was supposed to steal him away from LSU.

I don't disagree with that, but, somehow, he managed to average 10 wins per season over a decade in the toughest division of the toughest college football conference in America.

Louisiana as a state has some of the best high school football players in the nation and they have a tradition of staying home. I am sure he has some good aspects as a coach, strong leadership skills, etc. He will be a disaster at Kansas. Anyone who think he would be better than Muschamp at SC is crazy. I am not saying Muschamp is perfect or even your best choice. I would have liked to see Lincoln Riley at SC. Or Scott Frost despite his struggles at Nebraska. Or the Pirate.

Reactions: funktavious
Louisiana as a state has some of the best high school football players in the nation and they have a tradition of staying home. I am sure he has some good aspects as a coach, strong leadership skills, etc. He will be a disaster at Kansas. Anyone who think he would be better than Muschamp at SC is crazy. I am not saying Muschamp is perfect or even your best choice. I would have liked to see Lincoln Riley at SC. Or Scott Frost despite his struggles at Nebraska. Or the Pirate.
That boy who is down at UCF right now is fixing to move up, but the timing is wrong for us.

Last edited:
How exactly is this clear to you?

- Spurrier quit mid season 2015.
- Muschamp was hired December 2015.
- Miles was fired by LSU in September 2016.

Miles was not available to hire during the USC coaching search, unless you think Tanner was supposed to steal him away from LSU.

Miles was not “technically” available based on this timeline but as you posted he was fired early the next season. The writing was on the wall in 2015 that Miles was going to get the ax. It would have taken very little to “steal” Miles in November of 2015. A win in the last game and a little backlash from a segment of the boosters was all that saved Miles from the ax in 2015.

What Justin1 said: 2nd and 2 leading Clemson by 2 with about a min left, they throw 2 nincompoop passes and punt and Taters have time to drive for the winning FG. What a dumbass!

Reactions: funktavious

the mad hatter, college football needs these characters, besides coaches luv 2 coach........ no more no less,

We're talking about Kansas, right? To be clear, I don't want Miles at SC. But I wouldn't have fired him from LSU either.

The last time I remember anybody even talking about Kansas football was when they had that 300+lb guy coaching them. Boneheaded, lucky, or whatever, Miles has a championship ring and a crapload of wins on his resume. If you're Kansas (KANSAS!), it's worth taking a shot on Miles. Chances are, he isn't going to build them into a Big XII contender. But like our program when we hired Holtz, Kansas needs to be made relevant before they can become a contender.

yea, what school would hire a coach in his 60's who had previously won a national championship...oh wait
yea, what school would hire a coach in his 60's who had previously won a national championship...oh wait
It's the Big 12. He's not the guy. They'll have some fun - maybe - for a little while. He's more of a Holtz than a Spurrier.

There is no pressure whatsoever on him. Kansas fans don't give a damn about football... it's a basketball school. Like someone said, he will draw a paycheck, eat some grass, coach football (which he probably loves doing) and win some games... if he can go 6-6, he will add to his legacy... if not, folks will say "If Les couldn't win at KU, then who can?" It's a win/win for Les. As for him wanting to come here three years ago... L O L... please, a pressure cooker with a fan base that wants to fire you after you lose to a ranked team on the road? I think he probably had his fill of the SEC.

Reactions: rogue cock

I'm guessing he chose Kansas based on the fact that he won't be under much pressure to win a ton of games. He could have gotten a more prestigious job somewhere either after the season or after next season, but he could go down as a legend at Kansas if he just gets them to 8 wins per year in a couple years.

If his motivation was to compete for national championships then there's no way he would have gone there.

Is pretty clear Miles wants a big paycheck for 5 years.
He's probably trying to make up for "measly" $1.5 mill he accepted from LSU as buyout when he had $6.5 mill remaining on his contract.$1.5 mill just doesn't buy what it used to.

Reactions: king ward
He has history in Big 12 at OSU. I think Kansas and Les is a good match. He brings a big name (recruiting) plus Jayhawk basketball helps. Also, old coaches (Kansas State) makes Les as middle age.

I agree. I've spent some time in Lawrence, Kansas. Fantastic college town with a passionate fanbase and student body, albeit a very basketball-centric place. But it is a stones throw from Kansas City (a great city), and not too far from Oklahoma and even North Texas, so the right coach/recruiter could bring in legit talent.

As recently as 2007, Mark Mangino took KU to a 12-1 record, falling just short of the Big XII title (they lost to Mizzou). They beat Va Tech in the Orange Bowl that season. So it can be done there.

Kansas and Mizzou need to figure out how to bring that rivalry back. One of the most bitter rivalries in college sports. That would help build excitement around the football program.

Lots of low-hanging fruit in Lawrence. The right person who surrounds himself with the right staff could do well there. Miles might be just crazy enough to make it work.

Last edited:
We're talking about Kansas, right? To be clear, I don't want Miles at SC. But I wouldn't have fired him from LSU either.

The last time I remember anybody even talking about Kansas football was when they had that 300+lb guy coaching them. Boneheaded, lucky, or whatever, Miles has a championship ring and a crapload of wins on his resume. If you're Kansas (KANSAS!), it's worth taking a shot on Miles. Chances are, he isn't going to build them into a Big XII contender. But like our program when we hired Holtz, Kansas needs to be made relevant before they can become a contender.
300 lb dude was Mangino or something like that. Had them in the top 10. Might be the greatest coaching feat in CFB history

If you saw the press conference announcing his hiring, Miles (age 65) looked like an over the hill guy coming to cash a paycheck. Kansas needs an energetic up-and-comer not a has-been.

The rumor (probably untrue) is that North Carolina will fire Larry Fedora and entice Mack Brown to come back. I love Mack Brown. He was a great coach for Texas when hired in 1998. He turned our program around, recruited well and won an NC. Mack Brown today is an over-the-hill has been. At age 67 it would be crazy for a major football power to hire him. I like him, but his time is past. Same for Les Miles.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT