ADVERTISEMENT

College football and other sports as we know it

rgamecock1

Apr 19, 2003
College sports in all arenas are in serious danger of becoming a thing of the past. While watching all the recruiting shows a recruiting expert put it this way, "there are the haves, and there are the have nots".

The NIL thing has already gone too far. Schools that supposedly had a top five or top 10 class have already been outbidded by schools with deep pockets. Those schools have boosters who have so much

money from oil, food, financial sectors that kids will jump to those schools. The schools that had the kid previously committed to them now has their class decimated. This has been going on for so long already

in college basketball with your blue bloods getting all the elite players. Year after year North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky get the top players and at the end of the year look who is in the final four.

Same thing in college football. About a year ago I was at the airport and I met a man while I was waiting on my flight and we got to talking about college football. He said in so many words the cheating that

goes on in college football makes college basketball pale. The same schools who have reputations of buying players and keeping it under the table. These schools have individuals who are at the top of the

chain in world economics. Say for example the man who owns Apple is a graduate of Auburn. Do the math. Alabama has a proud history of cheating, like Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma all are good at buying

players. Like the man told me every year the same schools get the top players and it is no coincidence. I know some people who read this article will not agree and that is fine. Like the man told me the proof

is in the pudding. Now with the limited power of the NCAA it will get worse. Kids on national signing day flip. Well we know what has happened. A big booster from a school gets to the family especially a family

who does not a large amount of financial resources and someone gets in their ear and drops a brown bag with $100,000 in it. So the kid flips. Like the man told me the price for winning is no big deal anymore

schools give these kids cars, bags of money (which cannot be traced) and if a coach spills the beans then they are unemployed the next day. Look at the assistant basketball coach at Clemson who made the

comment go to Clemson a Sunday afternoon and look at the cars these athletes are driving. Brand new Dodge Chargers is the car of choice recently the athletes love. Then the man mentions look at all these

schools who have the stand alone football facilities. Kids visit they see this. Recently the University of Florida did not have a stand alone football facility. Well guess what in two years they will spend $150 M

on a new stand alone football facility, even Vanderbilt who does not have a stand alone football facility will have one in two years. If a kid visits a school and they do not see all the new stand alone football

facility and they do not have the stand alone medical and treatment facilites these other schools have they go to a power five school that has all these things. There are NFL teams that cannot compare to

facilities that most SEC schools have. A lot of players after the season go back to the school they graduated from, or left in their junior year to go back and train and get medical treatment. Anyway between

all the cheating, NIL I think a lot of schools in the next ten years will not sponsor football anymore. It will happen because of everything I just talked about. If you do not agree with everything I put in this

post that is fine. That is your right, but everything I put in this post is the truth.

Say for example the man who owns Apple is a graduate of Auburn. Do the math. Alabama has a proud history of cheating, like Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma all are good at buying players. Like the man told me every year the same schools get the top players and it is no coincidence.

The greatest abuser of rules/buyer of players of the past may be Duke basketball. They covered it well.

Will there come a time when a backlash will appear and fans will get tired of the same old crowd ruling and quit watching? Will the top few be able to sustain their teams and each other without the money of the regular fan and other schools? If these college football powerhouses exclude the rest of the field will the rest of the field then exclude them? If so, will they be able to make it? Will it be the same thrill if the elite become a small group? The future will tell many things. Tread carefully.

The greatest abuser of rules/buyer of players of the past may be Duke basketball. They covered it well.

Will there come a time when a backlash will appear and fans will get tired of the same old crowd ruling and quit watching? Will the top few be able to sustain their teams and each other without the money of the regular fan and other schools? If these college football powerhouses exclude the rest of the field will the rest of the field then exclude them? If so, will they be able to make it? Will it be the same thrill if the elite become a small group? The future will tell many things. Tread carefully.
You must be kidding. Coach K and staff actually recruit student athletes...ESPECIALLY pre-2010. I mean...their kids could do more than just read, write and speak....they were d#mn near valedictorian types who just happened to be 6'6 to 6'8.
Duke basketball players weren't these laughable "bidness" men idiots you see 95% of the time around the country shuffled in and out. Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Jon Scheyer, Johnny Dawkins, Wojo, Jason Williams , Jay Bilas, Luol Deng, Albdelnaby, Laettner. Just spit-balling but they have the longest list of any top 100 b-ball school with decent human beings who were top of line players AND also standout students and would have risen to the top of whatever company or organization they ended up in...even if they were 5'11. You sound like you might be a major UNC basketball fan.
K didn't recruit the Shaqs or Iversons of the world. Their kids have degrees and it is evident they earned them. For the record...I despise college basketball and am a Gamecock fan for all sports. But, your stance is like saying Saban doesn't understand defensive football....very neanderthal-ish.

College sports in all arenas are in serious danger of becoming a thing of the past. While watching all the recruiting shows a recruiting expert put it this way, "there are the haves, and there are the have nots".

The NIL thing has already gone too far. Schools that supposedly had a top five or top 10 class have already been outbidded by schools with deep pockets. Those schools have boosters who have so much

money from oil, food, financial sectors that kids will jump to those schools. The schools that had the kid previously committed to them now has their class decimated. This has been going on for so long already
Agree with the topic & direction. It is close to the inmates running the aslyum situation. Won't pay to have a Dawn Staley anymore. 95% of the incoming freshmen P5/G5 players "THINK" they are NFL potential every year. What is the percentage that actually go?
It's a welfare / lottery hope mentality....and somehow that weaklings that run things have allowed this to happen. Absolute idiots.

in college basketball with your blue bloods getting all the elite players. Year after year North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky get the top players and at the end of the year look who is in the final four.

Same thing in college football. About a year ago I was at the airport and I met a man while I was waiting on my flight and we got to talking about college football. He said in so many words the cheating that

goes on in college football makes college basketball pale. The same schools who have reputations of buying players and keeping it under the table. These schools have individuals who are at the top of the

chain in world economics. Say for example the man who owns Apple is a graduate of Auburn. Do the math. Alabama has a proud history of cheating, like Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma all are good at buying

players. Like the man told me every year the same schools get the top players and it is no coincidence. I know some people who read this article will not agree and that is fine. Like the man told me the proof

is in the pudding. Now with the limited power of the NCAA it will get worse. Kids on national signing day flip. Well we know what has happened. A big booster from a school gets to the family especially a family

who does not a large amount of financial resources and someone gets in their ear and drops a brown bag with $100,000 in it. So the kid flips. Like the man told me the price for winning is no big deal anymore

schools give these kids cars, bags of money (which cannot be traced) and if a coach spills the beans then they are unemployed the next day. Look at the assistant basketball coach at Clemson who made the

comment go to Clemson a Sunday afternoon and look at the cars these athletes are driving. Brand new Dodge Chargers is the car of choice recently the athletes love. Then the man mentions look at all these

schools who have the stand alone football facilities. Kids visit they see this. Recently the University of Florida did not have a stand alone football facility. Well guess what in two years they will spend $150 M

on a new stand alone football facility, even Vanderbilt who does not have a stand alone football facility will have one in two years. If a kid visits a school and they do not see all the new stand alone football

facility and they do not have the stand alone medical and treatment facilites these other schools have they go to a power five school that has all these things. There are NFL teams that cannot compare to

facilities that most SEC schools have. A lot of players after the season go back to the school they graduated from, or left in their junior year to go back and train and get medical treatment. Anyway between

all the cheating, NIL I think a lot of schools in the next ten years will not sponsor football anymore. It will happen because of everything I just talked about. If you do not agree with everything I put in this

post that is fine. That is your right, but everything I put in this post is the truth.
Well I’m not sure if the basketball post is entirely accurate. North Carolina is unranked so they must be doing a crappy job with the best players. Kentucky is 13/16, depending on the poll. They’re pretty good but could very well be the 4th or 5th best team in the SEC….a conference they could dominate in the past most years. Duke is ranked #2 and Kansas is #6. They are certainly threats to make the final four, but I doubt the other two get there.

Duke hasn’t won a title or made the final four since 2015. Kansas hasn’t won a title since 2008, although they did get to a final four in 2018. Kentucky hasn’t won it since 2012 and have not made the final four since 2015. The Tar Holes last won in 2017. Unfortunately I saw that with my own two eyes.

Gonzaga, Villanova and Baylor have been more successful than the “blue bloods” in the last few years.

Not disputing that Duke kids do well, and are standout students … or were before K joined the OAD crowd. And Duke has a curriculum that caters to those athletes like every university does. You can get in-depth in most classes or you can take some where you can skate a little. UNC took it too far. But to say that there weren’t shady things involved in some of that recruiting would be a naive way of looking at it. It’s out there among coaches. And look at the Zion Williamson recruitment. Crazy stuff.

Oh no. I am no UNC fan. I usually pull for those coaches that I know and like, and the schools change year by year as they move around, and I always pull for the GAMECOCKS!

The hope that college sports will go back to some nostalgic time when it was about student-athletes is not realistic. The Power 5 needs to go outside of the NCAA, get their own commissioner and manage this NIL situation so it won't just be the Wild, Wild West.

K didn't recruit the Shaqs or Iversons of the world. Their kids have degrees and it is evident they earned them.
Duke is no more special than anybody else. If the research were done, we’d find dozens that haven’t graduated. They are much like everybody else. They had The Tripper, The Pot Man, Mama’s Boy, etc.. All the top schools in basketball have a mixed group with one thing in common - they can all play basketball. Leave it at that.

if you want to talk about schools where athletes are educated, let’s go to the Ivy League, service academies, etc.

The hope that college sports will go back to some nostalgic time when it was about student-athletes is not realistic.
That is true and it is a shame. We’ve moved along through the years and shed some of the bad stuff, but in the process have picked up some things that do not serve athletics well. Such is life in about every way. With the good comes the not so good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT