ADVERTISEMENT

If Orth had started, we would not have lost to UK

jackrabbit slim

Mar 30, 2008
His ability to throw is leaps and bounds better than Mitchs imo. The playbook would have been more open and the playcalling would not have been as stagnant as it was. If Orth had taken the snaps in practice with the 1st team the week leading up to UK, I think we would have been at least a 10pt winner.

Agree 100% this team will turn around now and I think we beat Ga. honestly.

Spurrier looked lost that first half, and I still don't get why he don't play Orth sooner, but now we know what we have and what we can do. If Orth can make passes all night like the td to Adams we are in good shape.

I agree. It's sooooo ironic that he's always been known as a coach with a quick hook on the qb. Maybe with Orth we can steal one.

Agree 100% this team will turn around now and I think we beat Ga. honestly.

Spurrier looked lost that first half, and I still don't get why he don't play Orth sooner, but now we know what we have and what we can do. If Orth can make passes all night like the td to Adams we are in good shape.
Yes! Adams is a senior and needs to lead by example with the younger receiving core and tight ends. If he can take some of the pressure off of Pharoh and Samuel steps up, I like the offense.

I agree that Orth proved that he is the most effective QB on the roster. But here is the problem. We have a fragile 6'3" scarecrow in Mitch, who looks like he is very uncomfortable and scared to be out there. Now he is injured and on the shelf for a while. Then we have a 5'9" walk on who looks comfortable and can throw the ball, but is not much of a rushing threat. These are the guys that Spurrier is putting on the field? Forget about talent for a minute, let's just focus on the size of these QBs. You cannot have a physically weak QB facing SEC defenses every week. You cannot have a 5'9" walk on at QB against SEC defenses every week. Not only is Spurrier misjudging QB talent, he's not even bringing in guys with the right body type to last in the SEC. Very frustrating.

His ability to throw is leaps and bounds better than Mitchs imo. The playbook would have been more open and the playcalling would not have been as stagnant as it was. If Orth had taken the snaps in practice with the 1st team the week leading up to UK, I think we would have been at least a 10pt winner.
Also if we made a field goal.

I just don't believe that Connor has the "it" factor. I remember hearing last night the announcers saying he sits on the bench by himself just to collect his thoughts. It's not a knock on the guy, but I just really think he looks scared to death out there. When Orth came in it just looked to me he took command and knew what he was doing.

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
I just don't believe that Connor has the "it" factor. I remember hearing last night the announcers saying he sits on the bench by himself just to collect his thoughts. It's not a knock on the guy, but I just really think he looks scared to death out there. When Orth came in it just looked to me he took command and knew what he was doing.

To Mitch's credit he was looking more comfortable before he was hurt. But who knows how long it would've taken him to get comfortable enough to run the offense and be productive.
It might sound cold blooded, but I think him suffering an injury might have been the best thing to happen to this team. The sideline reporter did say that he was on the end of the bench which is not unusual for QB's. Some of them like to take time between plays to gather their thoughts. But there's something that's just seemed out of sync with Mitch and the rest of the offense and there have even been people posting things about it on twitter and other media. It's like he hasn't bond with them or that they don't have confidence in him for one reason or another.
At any rate he's out of the picture for now...and I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

As to how the game played out last night...and I'm not questioning Spurrier intentionally (ok...maybe I am)...but it's like Spurrier went blank and felt all he could call were pass plays. He went totally pass happy and abandoned the run. And this isn't the first time he's done this...like the 1st game Shaw was hurt and came out with DT going in (can't remember the game but I'll look it up). Maybe somehow he thinks the opponent won't expect us to sling it down the field when a back up has to play and he knows he has a kid that can and he tries to catch them off guard, but he does it to a fault. All we needed last night was to convert one TD on one of our drives in the redzone and it would've/could've been a tie ball game. The first drive that Orth led us down the field on would have been the perfect time to run the ball because we had their defense rocking on their heels becuase they had no idea our back up could come in and throw it the way Orth did.

Well, for anyone that's read this far, you get my point.

We have to run the ball. It's been the strongest part of our offense this season. We seem to have an OL and blocking scheme and RB's that can be productive running it. The best teams in the history of the sport have had good running games. And for the first time this season it appears we have a QB that can make the throws WHEN WE NEED TOO. All we need now is for Spurrier to take advantage of it the running game and not think sling it down the field...and to use his rookie QB at the right time that can do both...and I think the offense can be productive enough to win against anyone on the schedule.

Sorry so long...just my $.02.
I'm going to bed.

Reactions: jerryusc
I agree that Orth probably wins the game. One might say, "well he is the one that came in and threw the interception." That is irrelevant. That throw may not have happened if he played the entire game, or most thereof. A whole chain of events would have been different had he played. The missed field goals are killers too.

I said this very same thing last year about Watson. We moved the ball straight down the field against UGA last year with him in. We scored. However, Dabo and Chad Morris stuck with their plans to break him in slow and only play him 1 out of every 5 possessions. By the time he came in in the 4th quarter Stoudt had gone 3 and out "stoudt" so much that our defense was breaking instead of bending. Same thing for the FSU game. If he starts that game we win. The only thing I will say about the way things happened is that the coaches said Watson was a true freshman and they were stubborn about giving him the starting job. Had Stoudt not been the starter against FSU and mad the horrible throw at our tight end's feet, which was missed, and screwed up our scoring opportunity (happened on the goal line), Watson wouldn't have become the starter right then.

I'm not sure what Spurrier and company are seeing in practice and camp that made them give Mitch the job, but Orth just sets a different tone. I feel like you guys are going to score when he is leading the offense. Mitch and Shaw only share the same first name......nothing else. Orth is your guy.

Good luck the rest of this most wonderful time of the year guys.

I agree that Orth probably wins the game. One might say, "well he is the one that came in and threw the interception." That is irrelevant. That throw may not have happened if he played the entire game, or most thereof. A whole chain of events would have been different had he played. The missed field goals are killers too.

I said this very same thing last year about Watson. We moved the ball straight down the field against UGA last year with him in. We scored. However, Dabo and Chad Morris stuck with their plans to break him in slow and only play him 1 out of every 5 possessions. By the time he came in in the 4th quarter Stoudt had gone 3 and out "stoudt" so much that our defense was breaking instead of bending. Same thing for the FSU game. If he starts that game we win. The only thing I will say about the way things happened is that the coaches said Watson was a true freshman and they were stubborn about giving him the starting job. Had Stoudt not been the starter against FSU and mad the horrible throw at our tight end's feet, which was missed, and screwed up our scoring opportunity (happened on the goal line), Watson wouldn't have become the starter right then.

I'm not sure what Spurrier and company are seeing in practice and camp that made them give Mitch the job, but Orth just sets a different tone. I feel like you guys are going to score when he is leading the offense. Mitch and Shaw only share the same first name......nothing else. Orth is your guy.

Good luck the rest of this most wonderful time of the year guys.

Suck it tater

I agree with this. Sometimes kids play better in practice. I think that we can all see that Orth was the better bet. South Carolina always gives their best to Jawja. Hold your head up guys. Beat them dawgs.

I didn't see the game but I did listen parts and got updates..

I thought our defense didn't show up in the 1st half and our offensive line didn't block. That out come in the first half put us in a jackrabbit hole 24-7... I don't think if Perry started would have seen better results, but I was glad we didn't roll over in the second half...

If we don't pick it up against UGA, then this season is over after 3 games...

That's easy to say but there is no way of knowing that . Just like UGA last year, giving the ball to Gurley down inside the 10.

The big fellas up front must block and give Orth a fighting chance, particularly left tackle. WIlds must have a good game and have good vision Saturday. Pharoh should have a good number of touches and I hope Skai can level Greyson and Chubb a few times. Take dem dawgs to the woodshed! Burn them hedges down!

I'm not sure how I struck a nerve with the poster above. I'm probably the most respectful Clemson poster you guys see in here. I apologize anyway. I know the SC fan base is frustrated right now and I would be too. It happens. Not many teams stay on top for years and years like Alabama, Nebraska back in the 80s and 90s, Oklahoma, Florida when Spurrier was there, Auburn to a degree, Oregon of late, etc. Clemson and SC just do not have the name brand to constantly pull in top talent without effort to really sell the program. It comes in cycles for our 2 programs. Well anyway, I meant no disrespect and thank the poster who said there was nothing wrong with my post.

God bless guys.

I didn't see the game but I did listen parts and got updates..

I thought our defense didn't show up in the 1st half and our offensive line didn't block. That out come in the first half put us in a jackrabbit hole 24-7... I don't think if Perry started would have seen better results, but I was glad we didn't roll over in the second half...

If we don't pick it up against UGA, then this season is over after 3 games...

Then you really need to see it. Mitch looks(ed) lost and scared out there. Orth came in and looked poised, confident, and determined. If only he wasn't so danged short! LOL!

Reactions: NetworkX
Then you really need to see it. Mitch looks(ed) lost and scared out there. Orth came in and looked poised, confident, and determined. If only he wasn't so danged short! LOL!

I think that first half was more defense problems and it could be that we went 3 and out several times...

There was nothing wrong with that post you are a piece of trash to ad hom attack someone like that.
4 post since 2008...red flags and sirens.

just another trolling tater that regained his posting privileges after the format change.

tigerRob seems like a down to Earth level headed man, not here to hurl message board turds and stir the pot.

I don't think that is an accurate statement. I am not defending Mitch by any means but by the time Orth came in it was a 'the damage is done' situation. If he had started it would have been a scripted first few plays that could have went south in a hurry. He played well but starting and coming in later under different circumstances does not translate into a 'we would have won'.

I think that first half was more defense problems and it could be that we went 3 and out several times...

Oh, I don't disagree with you at all; D was horrible in the 1st half and - coupled with anemic offensive production - put us in too deep of a hole. But, I still say Orth looked(s) far better than Mitch.

We went 3 and out on about 4 different possessions after the turnover and score. Mitch missed several open receivers that would have sustained drives. And he didn't just missed them, he missed them BADLY.

It would have been a different ball game had he been on target. To Mitch's credit and not to sound too harsh, he did hit one long pass in the 2nd quarter before he was injured but we were already down 17-7 at that point.

Is he 5'9" or 6'1"? I've heard both of those. I'm sure it's somewhere in between so it's probably a stupid question.

everyone lies about their height and weight, but with respect to orth i think 5"9 is dead on....hes short...usually the short quarterbacks are mobile, hes not....go figure

I don't think that is an accurate statement. I am not defending Mitch by any means but by the time Orth came in it was a 'the damage is done' situation. If he had started it would have been a scripted first few plays that could have went south in a hurry. He played well but starting and coming in later under different circumstances does not translate into a 'we would have won'.
Ah. I see. The glass is half empty.

Can't be both Superfly. Make a decision. Support your decision.
There is a glass on the table that is......half liquid and half dry......it has the same amount of dry area as it does wet area. You can add to it, or take from it. If you do neither then it is what it is and no more until you do something.....much like the state we are in with our football program. Sitting here trying to talk it better or worse doesn't change what it is...1-1 on the season.....I guess that's half good and half bad......considering we should be in a position to have won them both based on what we were perceive to have, then our perception is useless as it is, in a half empty or half full perception....how's that...

There is a glass on the table that is......half liquid and half dry......it has the same amount of dry area as it does wet area. You can add to it, or take from it. If you do neither then it is what it is and no more until you do something.....much like the state we are in with our football program. Sitting here trying to talk it better or worse doesn't change what it is...1-1 on the season.....I guess that's half good and half bad......considering we should be in a position to have won them both based on what we were perceive to have, then our perception is useless as it is, in a half empty or half full perception....how's that...
That is actually a huge assumption on your part. Is the glass asymmetrical? If it is tapered in any way, then your theory doesn't hold water so to speak as the volume would not be the same at the middle of the glass.

I agree that Orth proved that he is the most effective QB on the roster. But here is the problem. We have a fragile 6'3" scarecrow in Mitch, who looks like he is very uncomfortable and scared to be out there. Now he is injured and on the shelf for a while. Then we have a 5'9" walk on who looks comfortable and can throw the ball, but is not much of a rushing threat. These are the guys that Spurrier is putting on the field? Forget about talent for a minute, let's just focus on the size of these QBs. You cannot have a physically weak QB facing SEC defenses every week. You cannot have a 5'9" walk on at QB against SEC defenses every week. Not only is Spurrier misjudging QB talent, he's not even bringing in guys with the right body type to last in the SEC. Very frustrating.

Who is the 5'9" QB you're referring to? Orth is 6'1" and Nunez is 6'3".

That is actually a huge assumption on your part. Is the glass asymmetrical? If it is tapered in any way, then your theory doesn't hold water so to speak as the volume would not be the same at the middle of the glass.

Technically the glass is always full. When liquid is in the glass the air that was in there before was displaced. So a glass half full of liquid is still full. It just depends on what it is filled with. Technically....that is.

Technically the glass is always full. When liquid is in the glass the air that was in there before was displaced. So a glass half full of liquid is still full. It just depends on what it is filled with. Technically....that is.
Not true. As the vessel, the glass is the operative item. The total volume of the glass dictates amount.

Does he play Defense as Well?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT