ADVERTISEMENT

If Texas & OU join, would not be suprised to see TX A&M & Mizzou to the ACC...

I gave up on YoutubeTV last summer because of their increase to $65. It makes no sense to me to pay all that when I only watch some of these channels a few weeks time a week.

I would be perfectly fine paying for ESPN only for something like $20...
Looks like I'm going to have to get SlingTV or Hulu for this season. Will be a good reason to cutoff Netflix for 5-6 months...
I had Midco for cable. They only had package for the Big Ten so I did away with that cable provider. I went out and got Sling orange with the extra sports package. Starting in August, the cost will increase from 40 dollars to 46 dollars. I have all the ESPN channels, SECN and SECN+, ACC and ACC Extra and I believe Pacific 12 channels and Texas channel. My only complaint is when I am watching ESPN 3 or SECN+ and the game goes over the scheduled time (for example game is scheduled for 12:00 until 3:00 and the game is still going on after 3) that is listed on Sling and if you turn the channel to another game (at 3:10 you turn the TV channel to ESPN to get a quick update on a game) then turn back to the game you were watching on either ESPN3 or SECN+, you will not be able to find your game link to click on to to finish watching it. Lucky I have ESPN+ and I use that to finish watching the game.

I heard some rumbling on this forum about the buffering issues with Sling, but my buffering is very minor. Also this is only the second time that Sling have increased their price in the four years that i have had it.

Last edited:
I had Midco for cable. They only had package for the Big Ten so I did away with that cable provider. I went out and got Sling orange with the extra sports package. Starting in August, the cost will increase from 40 dollars to 46 dollars. I have all the ESPN channels, SECN and SECN+, ACC and ACC Extra and I believe Pacific 12 channels and Texas channel. My only complaint is when I am watching ESPN 3 or SECN+ and the game goes over the scheduled time (for example game is scheduled for 12:00 until 3:00 and the game is still going on after 3) that is listed on Sling and if you turn the channel to another game (at 3:10 you turn the TV channel to ESPN to get a quick update on a game) then turn back to the game you were watching on either ESPN3 or SECN+, you will not be able to find your game link to click on to to finish watching it. Lucky I have ESPN+ and I use that to finish watching the game.

I heard some rumbling on this forum about the buffering issues with Sling, but my buffering is very minor. Also this is only the second time that Sling have increased their price in the four years that i have had it.
I think the worst thing is that you can only stream one ESPN feed legally with SlingTV. Now that I have my office setup the way I want... Going to always have at least two games going on this season... so unless something comes up in the next week or two I don't know about... it's Hulu or Youtube TV again.....

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
If I remember correctly, Clemson was supposed to leave too and then didn't. I agree that there is no looking back. kansas ended a 100+ year continuous rivalry with us (only game not played was during 1918 pandemic). People get upset in divorces.

I hate Texas for the Longhorn Network and unfair revenue models. I hate the long Oklahoma tradition of cheating that started in the 1800s and is memorialized by their team name. But ultimately, this is a business decision and it would be foolish for Mizzou to say anything about this other than "Welcome!" I look forward to competing against them on a more level playing field.
How do you like your football coach? I like him and think he will make your program big winners.

If Texas and OU join, do you think it's possible for A&M and Mizzou move over to the ACC.

I am not a fan of Texas joining the SEC. Our loyalties should be with A&M since they came over wanting to be the only school in the SEC from Texas. Where ever Texas goes/has been, there's always been problems (just ask the aggie fans).

IMO I still think the better move is to try to convince NCSU and VT to come over to the SEC.

I know the minority here wants us to go back into the ACC. I am for that too. But UNC is much like Texas (in the BIG12) , they've taken over and controlled the ACC. I think, I'd rather see Texas in the ACC so they can bitch slap UNC around.

Course the ACC is so watered down with the private schools that aren't very good in football, that adding a Texas or Oklahoma would automatically mean, Clemson would not big the big cheese in football anymore...too bad for Dabo if this happens.

Best case in my judgement would be to tell Texas and OU no...if not A&M and Mizzou to the ACC...which might have the ACC calling us, UGA or UF...who knows?

Never will happen, any current SEC school sees the same financials starting in 2024, where the SEC goes from $44m per year to each school to $61m without TX/OU, and perhaps $70m + per year if those two join. Meanwhile, the ACC pays between $29-34m per year (Clemtech at high end for appearances in CFP’s). “Ain’t no school leaving SEC unless booted”.

Which brings up an interesting question, on what terms can any SEC school be booted? I’m not sure but I bet it is draconian type situations. Any school that is currently in the cash cow will never leave. It’s ridiculous to speculate otherwise, come on now.

I think the worst thing is that you can only stream one ESPN feed legally with SlingTV. Now that I have my office setup the way I want... Going to always have at least two games going on this season... so unless something comes up in the next week or two I don't know about... it's Hulu or Youtube TV again.....
One of the Sling packages - and the combo - allows for more than one stream.

If I remember correctly, Clemson was supposed to leave too and then didn't. I agree that there is no looking back. kansas ended a 100+ year continuous rivalry with us (only game not played was during 1918 pandemic). People get upset in divorces.

I hate Texas for the Longhorn Network and unfair revenue models. I hate the long Oklahoma tradition of cheating that started in the 1800s and is memorialized by their team name. But ultimately, this is a business decision and it would be foolish for Mizzou to say anything about this other than "Welcome!" I look forward to competing against them on a more level playing field.
No - Clemson was not "supposed" to leave the ACC; that is an urban legend.

Like USC, Clemson had its grudges with the ACC and the "800 rule" as well, Unlike USC, who passionately stormed off pouting, Clemson took a "wait and see" approach with a court case challenging this rule. Patience paid off for Clemson.

Never will happen, any current SEC school sees the same financials starting in 2024, where the SEC goes from $44m per year to each school to $61m without TX/OU, and perhaps $70m + per year if those two join. Meanwhile, the ACC pays between $29-34m per year (Clemtech at high end for appearances in CFP’s). “Ain’t no school leaving SEC unless booted”.

Which brings up an interesting question, on what terms can any SEC school be booted? I’m not sure but I bet it is draconian type situations. Any school that is currently in the cash cow will never leave. It’s ridiculous to speculate otherwise, come on now.
Two-thirds vote. Easier to be kicked out than admitted.

Understand that....simply replying to the comment above (with a little side analysis).
I thought so, but I knew others would see that you had responded, so quoting you was as good a way as any to reiterate the obvious. I have been amazed at the naivete of some people as we have observed this process. This was in the bag before we ever heard of it.

Reactions: rogue cock
On the theory of geography, it probably would have been better to plan the conference expansion years ago to actually combine the SEC and ACC of the 1970's. That would have been the best situation geographically as well as competitively. Personally, I would have loved those rivalries. Sometimes I still can't get excited about playing Arkansas and Missouri and would rather be playing UNC and NC State. But I suppose the thinking is vastly different these days.
It seems if I remember correctly that USC floated the idea of rejoining the ACC in the early 80s(?) and Clemson was going to sponsor us but Duke was not going for it. When USC was Independent I loved playing Duke, Wake, NC State, UNC, VT, etc. Those were fun road trips.

I put up the previous year data as well. What I do not understand is why viewers is less in 2020 than 2019. With stadium capacity having restrictions, I thought there would be more viewers for television in 2020.
Frankly, I think fewer people cared about sports in 2020 than did in 2019. I don't have the numbers, but I think viewership was down across the board for all sports. I think it's still very much in question as to whether those viewers ever come back.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
How do you like your football coach? I like him and think he will make your program big winners.
Someone on PowerMizzou recently called him a cross between Spurrier and Ted Lasso. I laughed, liked and agreed. (I am hoping we don't get relegated to the Big XII now)

He really didn't inherit much talent from Barry Odom. Clearly there was some, but there were entire position groups that were lacking. Coach Drink did a good job filling gaps with the transfer portal and coaching up what he had. This year's class is shaping up nicely and there is the potential for a strong finish.

Normally if the MU curators get involved in a coaching hire, it's a sure sign things have gone to s***. Perhaps they did, but it seems like they managed a good hire despite the drama.

If you like being treated like a second class citizen that is how the North Carolina schools treated us. I think that was the best move made. Like the late King Dixon said the ACC is not an option. I was so glad he said that. Our leadership like any schools leadership at times has had difficult decisions, but in the long run in my humble opinion it was the best.

Reactions: jerryusc
I think back in the day; grudges, jealousy, envy, etc. kept good judgement out of the equation. In todays terms, it's all about $$$$, positioning, tv rights, and good ole common sense.

The ACC to me is still some what antiquated in their thinking. John Swofford can be blamed for that. The forward thinking SEC moved back in the 90's to add us and Arky, then A&M and Mizzou later. It left the ACC scrambling for schools not necessarily great for the ACC (BC, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt).

Imagine had the ACC offered us, kept Maryland, and offered WVU and possibly Penn State at the time....The ACC only reacts after the SEC leads the way...
If you do your homework the ACC did make phone calls to people in authority and basically we told them we are happy where we are in the SEC. The ACC wanted us to make all kinds of apologies, reentry fees, the list goes on and on and we told them thanks but no thanks.

MUTiger91, back in 2005 when the ACC essentially poached the Big East, word on the street was that the ACC informally asked USC officials if there was any interest in coming back (USC was a charter member of the ACC and left in 1971). Obviously , the answer was no.

My take on it is that I would have told the officials "I wished we had had these discussions 20-30 years ago," i.e., any time between 1975 and 1985. We would have gone back in a heartbeat.

USC returning to the ACC is as foolish as our leaving the league to begin with. Mizzou's situation is slightly different, but your Columbia would be foolish to go back.
I never knew about the ACC unofficially asking USC if they wanted to return.

Yeah, if the ACC had respectfully asked USC to return between 1975 and 1985 the answer would have been yes. USC, on its own, was trying to get back in even sending a representative to their meetings along with Va Tech. They had to have been sneering at USC behind its back and not always behind its back.

Current events make the USC decision to leave seem very smart. I used to gripe about it, also. Now the ACC is reduced to almost B12 status. They raided the Big East for schools no one else wanted. ND kinda in a way maybe wants to join when they belong in the B10.
The ACC now has armed guards patrolling borders to prevent anyone from scaling the Berlin Wall they have constructed to prevent anyone leaving for greener($) pastures.

Reactions: atl-cock
It is estimated that Texas and OU to the SEC will raise SEC payouts from $55 million/team to $75-$80 million/team. Does anyone seriously believe any current SEC school would leave? Less attractive marriages survive for a lot less. No school, NONE, are leaving the SEC unless they have morons running the school.
^This. What most fail to realize, is that while Texas A&M and Mizzou may not "prefer' Texas join, they know the financial benefits. Texas will not push anyone around in the SEC. They need the league more than the league needs them. The current deal starting 2025 I think, is $3 billion over 10 years. This may very well double with them addition of these two schools. No one in their right mind is going to walk away from that. Anyone who says we should bolt for the ACC just doesn't understand how the real world works.

^This. What most fail to realize, is that while Texas A&M and Mizzou may not "prefer' Texas join, they know the financial benefits. Texas will not push anyone around in the SEC. They need the league more than the league needs them. The current deal starting 2025 I think, is $3 billion over 10 years. This may very well double with them addition of these two schools. No one in their right mind is going to walk away from that. Anyone who says we should bolt for the ACC just doesn't understand how the real world works.
Same rationale for anyone predicting a B1G team will leave that conference....just moreso.

If you do your homework the ACC did make phone calls to people in authority and basically we told them we are happy where we are in the SEC. The ACC wanted us to make all kinds of apologies, reentry fees, the list goes on and on and we told them thanks but no thanks.
I tried to find info on this and cannot...you evidently did homework on this, mind sharing the link?

Exactly. It has to be draconian. It's bad enough to invite Okie & Austin to the SEC (and I am absolutely against it; of course, I was against inviting aTm & Mizzou as well), but it would be unconscionable bad will to boot any current SEC member.

IMO, for current SEC expansion, the league would probably never consider inviting Georgia Tech (not withstanding the massive financial penalties the Jackets would incur) or Tulane to come back, nor inviting Ole Miss, Ole Miss State, or Vandy to join (assuming that the latter three were not current members).

Last edited:
Im good with that! They both have kicked our ass since they joind. Trading 2 for 2 more to kick our lazy asses.

I tried to find info on this and cannot...you evidently did homework on this, mind sharing the link?

Not to defend who you are questioning and I can’t find anything either, but I vaguely remember there was some chatter/talks/calls in the late 90’s - early 00’s. We listened until they said we had to apologize.

I never knew about the ACC unofficially asking USC if they wanted to return.

Yeah, if the ACC had respectfully asked USC to return between 1975 and 1985 the answer would have been yes. USC, on its own, was trying to get back in even sending a representative to their meetings along with Va Tech. They had to have been sneering at USC behind its back and not always behind its back.

Current events make the USC decision to leave seem very smart. I used to gripe about it, also. Now the ACC is reduced to almost B12 status. They raided the Big East for schools no one else wanted. ND kinda in a way maybe wants to join when they belong in the B10.
The ACC now has armed guards patrolling borders to prevent anyone from scaling the Berlin Wall they have constructed to prevent anyone leaving for greener($) pastures.
Again, I don't know for sure if the ACC informally reached out to USC circa 2005 if there was interest in coming back. Just what I recall reading on message boards. But it wouldn't surprise me if that indeed happened behind the scenes. By that point, 30+ years after we left, much of the bad blood appeared to have waned, since most officials, coaches, and players from the late '60s were gone.

Through 1985, IMO ACC would not have asked respectfully given our attitude when leaving. During our first basketball season as an independent, the warm-up jerseys worn had "ACC Champs" written on the back! Not smart, IMO.

Word on the street in the mid '70s when there was talk of us coming back was that the ACC would have wanted us to redo the revenues from the time we left such that all we kept for ourselves as an independent we would have to go back and split it with the other 7 members as if we never left.

I would have been okay with that as long as the other 7 did the same, i.e., go back and split the revenues 8 ways instead of 7. And let's all recognize that none of the 8 members was exempt from bad behaviour during those times. The league was better with 8 members rather than 7 (or 15, for that matter).

ND had wanted to join the B1G back in the 1920s, but got rejected because they were (still are) a Catholic school! Inconceivable today.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerryusc
Exactly. It has to be draconian. It's bad enough to invite Okie & Austin to the SEC (and I am absolutely against it; of course, I was against inviting aTm & Mizzou as well), but it would be unconscionable bad will to boot any current SEC member.

IMO, for current SEC expansion, the league would probably never consider inviting Georgia Tech or Tulane to come back, nor inviting Ole Miss, Ole Miss State, or Vandy to join (assuming that the latter three were not current members).
SEC Bylaws:

*3.1.4 Termination of Membership. Membership may be terminated voluntarily by the resignation of a member or involuntarily at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A vote of at least two-thirds of the members is required to terminate membership. Any motion to terminate membership shall specify the effective date of the proposed termination. [Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11]

IMO, for current SEC expansion, the league would probably never consider inviting Georgia Tech (not withstanding the massive financial penalties the Jackets would incur) or Tulane to come back, nor inviting Ole Miss, Ole Miss State, or Vandy to join (assuming that the latter three were not current members).

SEC Bylaws:

*3.1.4 Termination of Membership. Membership may be terminated voluntarily by the resignation of a member or involuntarily at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A vote of at least two-thirds of the members is required to terminate membership. Any motion to terminate membership shall specify the effective date of the proposed termination. [Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11]

You do need a mechanism to terminate membership. And it should only be used in case of draconian behaviour. And I do not consider Vandy not expanding their football stadium to seat 80k draconian behaviour. God help us all if Vandy got booted for something like that.

Last edited:
Duke, Wake, and Maryland had a special hatred for USC. Usually the "Big Four" (Duke, Wake, NC State, and UNC) always vote together.
Dook's hatred goes back to the recruitment of Mike Grosso, and the loophole McGuire found in the ACC's "800 rule". Dook AD Eddie Cameron held a grudge against McGuire dating back to Frank's days in Chapel Hill. USC was merely in the crossfire of this grudge.

Maryland's hatred dates back to our final home ACC basketball game against the Terps and the brawl which began with 4:52 remaining in the game. McGuire's arrogant post-game comments on John Ribock's slugging of Lefty Driesell understandably pi***d off the folks in College Park. IMO, Maryland's hatred was completely on us.

Not sure what Wake's issue was.

Last edited:
Several years ago I was listening to Sportstalk and the host chatted with Les Robinson who at one time was the AD at N.C. State. The ACC went through back channels to see if USC would be interested in rejoining the ACC. Mike McGee was the A.D. at USC and he received a call from Les Robinson asking him if USC would be interested in rejoining the ACC. His response was that USC was happy being in the SEC. Not sure if there is a link anywhere for this but Phil Korblutt coudl verify this story. I do remember also that at one time the ACC wanted USC to make apologies, pay restitution also but this was also turned down. I do remember seeing this somewhere but not exactly sure, it may have been in the State Newspaper. If you have access to the archives at the State you may could find it in there.

Word on the street in the mid '70s when there was talk of us coming back was that the ACC would have wanted us to redo the revenues from the time we left such that all we kept for ourselves as an independent we would have to go back and split it with the other 7 members as if we never left.
To me, that was just a public and not too humiliating way for the ACC to say no to USC.

It worked out great for USC(SEC)but not so great for the ACC(Big East). Karma caught up with those phony back stabbers. They are on about the same level as Pac12 and B12.
If it wasn't for Clemson, they would be the Mountain East.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Several years ago I was listening to Sportstalk and the host chatted with Les Robinson who at one time was the AD at N.C. State. The ACC went through back channels to see if USC would be interested in rejoining the ACC. Mike McGee was the A.D. at USC and he received a call from Les Robinson asking him if USC would be interested in rejoining the ACC. His response was that USC was happy being in the SEC. Not sure if there is a link anywhere for this but Phil Korblutt coudl verify this story. I do remember also that at one time the ACC wanted USC to make apologies, pay restitution also but this was also turned down. I do remember seeing this somewhere but not exactly sure, it may have been in the State Newspaper. If you have access to the archives at the State you may could find it in there.
Wasn't that during Carlen or Marcum? Tend to remember it was somewhat shortly after Dietzel left. And I thought it was before McGuire retired.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT