ADVERTISEMENT

If we were to fire Muschamp this year is there anyone we could get that

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
we know would and could improve our program? This is the underlying question for me. I want Muschamp fired but I don't want another Muschamp. I don't want to jump from the proverbial frying pan into the fire.

Remember Muschamp was at least our 3rd choice and someone said our 4th choice. This is the biggest concern I have at this point in time. Who do we go after to replace Muschamp? Maybe we take a chance on an up and coming OC or DC.

Honestly, improvement is a pretty low bar. Perfect time to take a chance on a young unknown imo.

Reactions: agantt
Well, Army had to beat Navy. We need to beat Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn, LSU, Tammy, Clemson and so on and so forth. Very big difference.
Yeah true, but we aren’t doing that now and are paying someone $4 million a year. We could pay someone less than half that for the same results and save money to boot.lol

Ken Norton Jr
ken-norton.jpg

Reactions: PhantomBantam
Hiring a coach is kind of like life - there is no such thing as a change that is GUARANTEED to bring success/happiness. But if you aren't happy with where you are right now, I guarantee you it isnt going to improve by doing nothing.

The guy we have ain't getting it done. Let's dont let fear of the unknown stop us from bringing in somebody new to see what they can do.

Hiring a coach is kind of like life - there is no such thing as a change that is GUARANTEED to bring success/happiness. But if you aren't happy with where you are right now, I guarantee you it isnt going to improve by doing nothing.

The guy we have ain't getting it done. Let's dont let fear of the unknown stop us from bringing in somebody new to see what they can do.

Very good stuff.

Reactions: SOSUSC

Very profound words of wisdom.

I'm serious. Offer Joe Brady a 4 year deal at 3 million a year. Give him Muschamp's assistants budget and tell him to hire the best and hungriest assistants he can find. (But keep Thomas Brown)

Second choice would be Ken Norton, Jr. - if he would leave the NFL for college. If not, go after Dave Aranda, Luke Fickell, or Bronco Mendenhall.

we know would and could improve our program? This is the underlying question for me. I want Muschamp fired but I don't want another Muschamp. I don't want to jump from the proverbial frying pan into the fire.

Remember Muschamp was at least our 3rd choice and someone said our 4th choice. This is the biggest concern I have at this point in time. Who do we go after to replace Muschamp? Maybe we take a chance on an up and coming OC or DC.
The App State coach (Drinkwater?) comes to mind. I like his style.

I’ve said this plenty of times and posted here. I do not want a retread and get someone like Joe Brady!!! He is a rising star and if memory serves correct, only 29. Since Champ likely not fired, get Riley in here as OC. Humble thoughts.

My sentiments exactly.

I’ve said this plenty of times and posted here. I do not want a retread and get someone like Joe Brady!!! He is a rising star and if memory serves correct, only 29. Since Champ likely not fired, get Riley in here as OC. Humble thoughts.

I might look at someone like Brady as OC in another year or so, but HC? Absolutely not. He has less than 3 years of college coaching experience (discounting his years as a GA).

You're not talking about Lincoln Riley are you?

Reactions: 92Pony
Riley?????

Yall have bumped your head......If you think for one second one of the better young minds (OC or Head Coach candidate) would come to SC right now with the state of our board and a lame duck athletic director you are misguided.

Given that Ark / FSU / USCw and probably 2-3 other power 5 teams will be building out coaching staffs....we will be stuck with our 4th or 5th choice. In my opinion that is not worth a rework right now.

-No OC is coming here to strap his career to Champ
-No young head coach prospect wants to deal with a rogue BOT and a Ath Dir whose going to be gone sooner rather than later

Yall have bumped your head......If you think for one second one of the better young minds (OC or Head Coach candidate) would come to SC right now with the state of our board and a lame duck athletic director you are misguided.

Given that Ark / FSU / USCw and probably 2-3 other power 5 teams will be building out coaching staffs....we will be stuck with our 4th or 5th choice. In my opinion that is not worth a rework right now.

-No OC is coming here to strap his career to Champ
-No young head coach prospect wants to deal with a rogue BOT and a Ath Dir whose going to be gone sooner rather than later
They also do not want to deal with all these super coach fans who are not giving a coach enough time to turn a program completely around.

Reactions: Gamecock72
They also do not want to deal with all these super coach fans who are not giving a coach enough time to turn a program completely around.
This is now pretty standard at just about every program, so I don't think this would be an element that would dissuade a potential candidate.
Now all the other elements AD, BOT, etc is another matter all together.

It's not about happiness. I don't know how anyone can believe in Muschamp any more as head coach of a major football program able to compete for any kind of conference championship. The guy just doesn't have answers. If you have a coach that can't be believed in anymore, it's time for a change. If you can't understand looking back the UVA game and UNC will all that time to prepare and be so horrible, then I don't know what to tell you. The ship is sinking, time to abandon it.

I for one don’t think we could get anyone that would do better than Coach Will Muschamp and do not want to see him go. That said, if for some reason I’m wrong and he is let go, who would I want? Well, here’s a name for you: Joker Phillips. Good recruiter, familiar with the SEC, did the best that could be expected of him at Kentucky, and would love to get another shot at a head coaching job. Think about it.

Mike Houston @ECU.Took Lenoir Rhyne to D2 champinship game.Won Socon in 2nd year at The Citadel.Won FCS National Championship at JMU.First year at @ECU so still a work in progress there.He would come and I'm sure his buyout is reasonable.

We have to have an offensive genius, because we are always going to be at a talent deficit. That's why Spurrier worked out so well.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter

Two names that have been mentioned quite often on this board are PJ Fleck and Matt Rhule. But PJ Fleck just got paid:https://www.kare11.com/article/spor...fleck/89-90f45cb9-2687-4e49-b7ea-2c240b8f61bd and the same will likely happen for Matt Rhule shortly.

Point being, once a coach has success at a P5 program, their school will make it very difficult to leave for anything less than a top 10 job. So, even if people think USC is a "'bigger" program than either Minnesota or Baylor, that doesn't mean their coaches would leave that program for this one.

The more likely candidate profiles are these:
  • Proven ex-coach who wants to return to the college game, as USC hired with both Holtz and Spurrier, as various programs are trying to do now with Urban Meyer and Bob Stoops, or like UNC did with Mack Brown, Kansas did with Les Miles, or UCLA did with Chip Kelly, etc.
  • Another proven coordinator, hoping this one can be successful as HC
  • Proven head coach from G5 or FCS
That said, I'll throw one name out there that I'd at least contact and that's Mike Leach. He's having a down year at WSU, but that may be all the more reason he'd be willing to listen to other opportunities as this may convince him that WSU's program has a ceiling he can't break through. He's still only 58 and you can see he still has a lot to prove. Coaching at South Carolina would put him on the big SEC stage against some of the nation's most prominent programs and coaches. He's got ties to the south via his time at Kentucky and Valdosta State, he's a name and a personality that would be fully embraced by the Gamecock fan base, and going all-in with his style of play and branding is not a bad strategy in a league like the SEC. Muschamp is basically trying to run his program like Saban. But that just means USC will be a lesser version of Bama. Let UGA, LSU, or other programs with similar built-in advantages follow that model. But at a place like USC, it's better to go the opposite way and be intentionally different.

You find a great up and coming offensive coordinator like Lincoln Riley. The hire we should have made.

I think a lot of people on here have memory issues. Lincoln Riley was at or near the top of everyone's list but he didn't want to come here. Same with Herman and Smart. Muschamp was one of the best options based on who was interested. It's not like Ray turned these guys down so he could get Muschamp. I wasn't happy with the hire at the time but was glad we didn't end up with someone like Rich Rod. It definitely could have been worse.

As for our next hire I think Brady would be the best option. Someone who is getting a lot of buzz but is still in our wheelhouse. The tough thing is that he could really use a little more experience but if we wait and he has continued success there will be a bigger fish that will come for him.

I for one don’t think we could get anyone that would do better than Coach Will Muschamp and do not want to see him go. That said, if for some reason I’m wrong and he is let go, who would I want? Well, here’s a name for you: Joker Phillips. Good recruiter, familiar with the SEC, did the best that could be expected of him at Kentucky, and would love to get another shot at a head coaching job. Think about it.
Oh my gosh, this guy was a terrible coach and the reason he got canned at UK.

I might look at someone like Brady as OC in another year or so, but HC? Absolutely not. He has less than 3 years of college coaching experience (discounting his years as a GA).

You're not talking about Lincoln Riley are you?

No, I am talking about Joe Brady, QB Coach at LSU ..... remember that name ... if we could get him here next year as OC, I would take it ... I am convinced we will never compete for any SEC title with Champ .... we need someone who is not afraid to attack and coaches to win, not to outlast another team ...

What’s Butch Jones doing now? Doesn’t he need another shot at a head coaching job now that he has learned from his past job. Can’t we give him the ol Muschamp try.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT