ADVERTISEMENT

Big key to this football season

DeeDave

Oct 11, 2021
Marcus Satterfield doesn't get enough credit for the way he got Nate Adkins into the offense late in the season. (I am not trying to give too much credit here but i I thought they way he used him was really smart)

I think using him the way he did, almost sort of like a fullback type player, was a big key to our success. Teams just don't see many fullback type players anymore and defenses aren't real sure how to play against them - (evidence of that is a good Clemson defense didn't have an answer for him).

I read on another site that Loggains and Beamer were aware of the use of a player like Adkins and they were trying to find a few guys that could play a similar role. This is positive news. Obviously, this type of thing can't be the focus of the offense. But finding a player that can line up as a fullback/hybrid type player is very important. I have thought about this a number of times this summer.

I just don't believe most teams know how to play against someone like that - big body type that can catch out of the backfield- but probably blocks most of the time- or acts as a decoy. It also is an element of an old-fashioned offense.

I really hope Loggains has a handful of plays that utilize such a player (and of course can find a guy or two that can do it convincingly) to incorporate this into our offense a few times each game. I think it can really make a big difference in a handful of games.

(edit - Adkins won't be easy to replace. I think I took him for granted a bit).

Reactions: tngamecock#
Yeah, I just think they were hoping that guy would have been Stogner and just kept thinking it was going to click and overlooked Nate, wish he had another year!

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
No doubt.

I hated it took that long to click - but I really think finding someone to play that hybrid fullback position - and using it a fair amount- either as a decoy or actually with the ball- could really pay off.

Obviously, it would be better if we had 2 guys that could handle those duties.

My real fear- and I've had this all Summer really- is that we don't really use that anymore- we give it a bit of lip service but Loggains just doesn't even try to incorporate it and it shows. (has nothing to do with Loggains- could be any O-coordinator that we brought in).

I thought us doing that was one of the coolest thigs I've seen in a long time- and something a lot of other teams don't use at all anymore.

I hope I am wrong.

The transfer “Trey Knox” has the size and weight to fit that magic spot. Listed as 6’ 5” and 250 lbs. He is faster than Nate Adkins. He may be more of a weapon.

Nate also had a good football IQ.
Trey has 2+ years experience in the SEC so hopefully he will be ready.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
They're talking find different ways to get the ball to your skill people, I would think Loggain's O has a tight end type scheme and our running backs being unproven we will be looking to work in an H-back, I hope so anyway!
Go ask Patrick Demarco, he can fill in the blanks!

Reactions: zulu_nice
They're talking find different ways to get the ball to your skill people, I would think Loggain's O has a tight end type scheme and our running backs being unproven we will be looking to work in an H-back, I hope so anyway!
Go ask Patrick Demarco, he can fill in the blanks!

Patrick is who i was thinking of last year when we started using this attack. A couple of guys similar to him and suddenly we have an attack that is hard to prepare for.

Patrick is who i was thinking of last year when we started using this attack. A couple of guys similar to him and suddenly we have an attack that is hard to prepare for.
Looking at the depth chart settles my nerves a little, we've got some players with experience, we just need to put it all together with Dowell in charge and see how it comes out.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this year. I suppose many years of "getting my hopes up" makes me that way.
I do believe Coach Beamer has us on the right track!

Reactions: cockn'fyr
The difference between 7 wins and 10+ wins is being able to run the ball and stop the run. I dont really know either way how well we will be able to do that. Feels like we are depending on a lot of new faces to be effective.

Every year its the same thing for me. How will the TEs look and how often will we get them the ball. Cant be good without them imo.

Reactions: usc_nc
No doubt.

I hated it took that long to click - but I really think finding someone to play that hybrid fullback position - and using it a fair amount- either as a decoy or actually with the ball- could really pay off.

Obviously, it would be better if we had 2 guys that could handle those duties.

My real fear- and I've had this all Summer really- is that we don't really use that anymore- we give it a bit of lip service but Loggains just doesn't even try to incorporate it and it shows. (has nothing to do with Loggains- could be any O-coordinator that we brought in).

I thought us doing that was one of the coolest thigs I've seen in a long time- and something a lot of other teams don't use at all anymore.

I hope I am wrong.
I bet they will use a big fullback to pick up the blitz. Adkins set up a brick wall last year. We have to protect Spencer.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Marcus Satterfield doesn't get enough credit for the way he got Nate Adkins into the offense late in the season. (I am not trying to give too much credit here but i I thought they way he used him was really smart)

I think using him the way he did, almost sort of like a fullback type player, was a big key to our success. Teams just don't see many fullback type players anymore and defenses aren't real sure how to play against them - (evidence of that is a good Clemson defense didn't have an answer for him).

I read on another site that Loggains and Beamer were aware of the use of a player like Adkins and they were trying to find a few guys that could play a similar role. This is positive news. Obviously, this type of thing can't be the focus of the offense. But finding a player that can line up as a fullback/hybrid type player is very important. I have thought about this a number of times this summer.

I just don't believe most teams know how to play against someone like that - big body type that can catch out of the backfield- but probably blocks most of the time- or acts as a decoy. It also is an element of an old-fashioned offense.

I really hope Loggains has a handful of plays that utilize such a player (and of course can find a guy or two that can do it convincingly) to incorporate this into our offense a few times each game. I think it can really make a big difference in a handful of games.

(edit - Adkins won't be easy to replace. I think I took him for granted a bit).

I see it just the opposite. Satterfield took far too long to get our RBs and TEs involved as we floundered around for a good part of the season. Rattler was having to wait on receivers to create separation downfield and our OL wasn't able to buy him that amount of time.

We're obviously never going to have the OL/DL giants that the SEC top teams possess. Our guys are often outmanned by even the 2nd teams in these positions.

To compensate on offense we need consistent, smart/patient QB play, backs who can immediately recognize busted assignments or setup for screens, and mobile TEs with good hands for quick outlets.

Last edited:
I see it just the opposite. Satterfield took far too long to get our RBs and TEs involved as we floundered around for a good part of the season.

That's why I specifically mentioned "late in the season" in my post starting this topic and that I wasn't trying to give him too much credit.

So you didn't see the opposite. You saw it the same way I did.

Reactions: Ward Jr
That's why I specifically mentioned "late in the season" in my post starting this topic and that I wasn't trying to give him too much credit.

So you didn't see the opposite. You saw it the same way I did.

Gotcha. My point was that he was slow at the wheel for most of the season and probably deserved to get canned.

Gotcha. My point was that he was slow at the wheel for most of the season and probably deserved to get canned.

He was for sure slow about it.

Of course, I'm not sure what those players looked like in practice most of the year. But it sure worked late in the season - for whatever reason.

But my main concern is that we get away from using those players - FB type position out of the backfield. I thought it worked really well for us and a lot of teams don't do that anymore and it gave us a big of an advantage showing defenses something they didn't see a lot.

I guess we will find out this week.

Reactions: Ward Jr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT