ADVERTISEMENT

If you saw Frank Martin getting into his car which was parked beside yours would you

Engage but be nice. Or just shake my head (which is not so nice).

I'd ask if he's still in regular contact with the other members of the Addams Family.

No, honestly, I would probably say "Hi" and that's it. I'm not much of one for engaging "celebrities."

that final four year was very nice. pause then ask do you see us there in the near future.

I would ask him why we don’t throw to the tight end more.
Oh wait, wrong sport.
I would try and talk with him if he was willing. He is actually fascinating to listen to when he is talking about all sorts of things other than what’s wrong with basketball team.

Awhile back I ran into him at the grocery store. I don't engage "celebrities" in conversation because I always think they would rather not talk "shop" on their personal time. I pretended I didn't know him, said nothing, and went on my way.

Reactions: chief2791
I'd talk to him about the extreme cold weather we're having and how nice it would be to live in a warm place like oh say, Miami? But really I'd be cordial and probably mention how exciting it was when we were in the final 4.

I don’t think Frank intentionally loses. I’d say he tried to make it work. I still believe this job is extremely difficult as a couple of our previous coaches indicated in the past (Fogler & Odom).

It just didn’t work out with Frank, for obvious reasons. He couldn’t recruit and keep players in his system.

But I appreciate the effort the guy gave. I don’t see Frank being a little weasel like Darrin Horn was when he got the boot.

I don’t think Frank intentionally loses. I’d say he tried to make it work. I still believe this job is extremely difficult as a couple of our previous coaches indicated in the past (Fogler & Odom).
Absolutely. No matter who takes this job, it will be a serious challenge to keep the basketball tram consistently winning.

If you’re answer doesn’t involve being nice or respectful then you’re a pretty crappy person IMO…not sure what the OPs answer to his own question would be?
I would just move on.
Years ago I talked to former LSU coach Dale Brown for about 15 minutes. Great guy and very energetic.
I have zero interest in talking with Martin. There's your answer "CAD".

I wouldn't say a word. Mainly because I am not the star struck type, and also because you know he gets tired of having to be nice to folks that corner him and feel obligated to ask a bunch of questions of him

Reactions: chief2791
engage him in conversation or just ignore him and drive away?

I'd leave him alone like I would anyone else. I wouldn't say a word. Why bother someone? That's all it is unless you know him personally- and better yet- he knows you personally on a first name basis. In that case, if he wants to talk, he'd call out your name.

The last thing a coach needs is someone he/she doesn't know trying to talk to them out in public.

I actually saw this in person once when a Lou Holtz was trying to walk out of a store and all these men kept wanting to say something to him like they knew him or act as if they have something real cool to say to him. He just wanted to leave and at least 3-4 guys wanted to drop what they considered to be a friendly word or two. I felt sorry for him.

I just stood back shaking my head. I even mentioned it to one of the guys that he clearly just wanted to leave and didn't want to engage with anyone.

It seems to happen with some men more than anyone else- they convince themselves that someone like a coach is their friend or would want to talk to them - or hear from them. Folks like that are morons.

I think some of y'all are mistaking being nice and saying a simple "Hello Coach" with actually trying to have a conversation. I wouldn't do that unless he posed further questions after a simple Hello. Then again, I'm the person that says Hi to strangers as I'm walking down the street.

I will tell you that if kids come up to him in public, he will most certainly engage with them. He seems to really enjoy that. He did so with Smalls when he was younger. We were heading into the Original at Trenholm Plaza as he was coming out. Smalls saw him first. I said "say hi to him". Smalls said a simple Hi Coach Martin, and was going to leave it at that. Coach asked Smalls his name, and engaged in a quick conversation with him about school and what sports he liked. You couldn't get the smile off his face the rest of the day. He still talks about how nice Coach was to him.

I think some of y'all are mistaking being nice and saying a simple "Hello Coach" with actually trying to have a conversation. I wouldn't do that unless he posed further questions after a simple Hello. Then again, I'm the person that says Hi to strangers as I'm walking down the street.

I think a male coach is much more likely to accept and be cooperative with a woman saying "hi" especially one with a kid in tow. I think the coach just knows they are unlikely to hear their coaching opinion compared to a man.

I'm also sure that a coach would probably be receptive to a man with a child in tow - if the encounter is about the kid- not the adult.

But in my experience, women are much less likely to want to engage the coach and then of course talk Xs and O's.

The men I saw tying to talk with Holtz seemingly wanted to get close to him, put an arm around him and get a picture. He clearly didn't want any of that mess.

If they weren't doing that, they were doing some "hey coach" "hey man" type junk. He clearly didn't want to engage with that either.

But I'm someone that would go out of my way to ignore them and let them enjoy peace while going about their personal business.

I think a male coach is much more likely to accept and be cooperative with a woman saying "hi" especially one with a kid in tow. I think the coach just knows they are unlikely to hear their coaching opinion compared to a man.

I'm also sure that a coach would probably be receptive to a man with a child in tow - if the encounter is about the kid- not the adult.

But in my experience, women are much less likely to want to engage the coach and then of course talk Xs and O's.

The men I saw tying to talk with Holtz seemingly wanted to get close to him, put an arm around him and get a picture. He clearly didn't want any of that mess.

If they weren't doing that, they were doing some "hey coach" "hey man" type junk. He clearly didn't want to engage with that either.

But I'm someone that would go out of my way to ignore them and let them enjoy peace while going about their personal business.
Well I am THAT woman that will talk Xs and Os. 😆

Say Hey, I would like to challenge 90% of your team to a foul shooting contest.

engage him in conversation or just ignore him and drive away?
I met Frank at the Columbia Airport before a flight. This was a couple of years before the FF run. He's a good dude hes just washed up as a coach. It happens and at that time he was very excited to be in Columbia. I don't think that's changed I just don't think he has it in him to turn the program around at this point.

I will tell you that if kids come up to him in public, he will most certainly engage with them. He seems to really enjoy that. He did so with Smalls when he was younger. We were heading into the Original at Trenholm Plaza as he was coming out. Smalls saw him first. I said "say hi to him". Smalls said a simple Hi Coach Martin, and was going to leave it at that. Coach asked Smalls his name, and engaged in a quick conversation with him about school and what sports he liked. You couldn't get the smile off his face the rest of the day. He still talks about how nice Coach was to him.

Now THIS would be a legit question. Not many sammiches are better than a good Cuban.
I also like cafe con leche, and their espresso coffee. Can get that everywhere in Florida.

He actually sat behind us a couple of years ago at an away Vanderbilt football game.
We just said, "Hi Coach Martin" and that was it.
He left when it started raining but we touched it out lol.

Crappy basketball aside, I remember his comments during the Kaepernick debacle, particularly when Kaepernick wore a Castro shirt and Martin blasted him as being uneducated. He was eloquent and passionate about the evils of the Castro regime and Martin's love for America after his family went through some bad stuff in Cuba. That stuff transcends sports and I respect him for that - that would be my basis for conversation with him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT