ADVERTISEMENT

I'm beginning to wonder if bowl games are even

I won't be watching any bowl games unless I get very bored. I'll watch the CFP but that's all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbouton2
I've just got to temper my expectations for our bowl game. We'll do the best with what we've got available. One thing for sure, it's the last time I'll get to watch the Gamecocks play this year, so I'll watch beginning to end and hope for the best.

I'll watch ours. I watch the games on NYE, and NYD. And the Peach Bowl. But for me, there are way too many bowl games, and I'm only going to watch the ones that are pretty much the "old school" bowls I grew up with.

Bowl games, because of the vast number of them, have turned into College Football's Participation Trophy.

Last edited:
Worth watching anymore. Between the op outs and transfer portal...it's very discouraging. Every man for himself....college football is becoming a joke....NFL has been a joke for a while now. Not sure what sport to watch anymore.
Couldn't disagree more. I love college football and can't get enough of it. Meaningless bowl games are still games! In fact, I got no dog in the hunt but I'm thinking of driving up to Charlotte to watch the Gamecocks and Tarheels.

Depending on weather I'll watch ours Thursday is golf day. Start getting blown out, I'm done. Playoff games for sure, others if game is close etc.

If the team starts playing like it doesn’t want to be there then I’ll turn it off. The bowl game against UVA a few years ago was such a shame. Playing like that is usually the sign of a failed system.

Reactions: uscfootfan
I really don't understand the argument that the playoffs diminished the meaning of bowl games. How is the Outback Bowl, Peach Bowl, Citrus Bowl, etc diminished in any way b/c of the playoffs? No matter the system, it's never been more than the top 3 or 4 teams with a shot at the title at bowl season. The playoffs have not disenfranchised anyone. It's just going by a different name. The Outback etc means exactly as much as it did 10 years ago or 15 or 20 years ago.

Watch youth sports. Youth baseball and football are my kind of things. Not just any league. Find the nearest elite level. Travel baseball and football to begin with. Some rec football is fun to watch.

I really don't understand the argument that the playoffs diminished the meaning of bowl games. How is the Outback Bowl, Peach Bowl, Citrus Bowl, etc diminished in any way b/c of the playoffs? No matter the system, it's never been more than the top 3 or 4 teams with a shot at the title at bowl season. The playoffs have not disenfranchised anyone. It's just going by a different name. The Outback etc means exactly as much as it did 10 years ago or 15 or 20 years ago.
Back then, you could count on the people who made the season whatever it was to all show up unless incapacitated.

I quit watching bowl games years ago. These days I only watch the CFP.

And the NFL is anything but a joke. It’s the best sports league in the US and maybe the world.

• Haha
Reactions: Lakecock1
If the team starts playing like it doesn’t want to be there then I’ll turn it off. The bowl game against UVA a few years ago was such a shame. Playing like that is usually the sign of a failed system.
No excuse for not playing hard . These games are part of our season record, so you have to treat it that way and I think they will

If you can get a seat in the corner (rinks have no corners but you know where I mean) in the first row where the action is on the boards, it is loads of fun. Nothing separating you and the physical action but a piece of fiberglass.

Reactions: slufstuff
I don't think anyone has claimed the playoffs have "disenfranchised" anyone. What they have done is create a popular perception that the other bowls are diminished and, as they say, perception is reality. That perception is evidenced by the tens of thousands of empty seats at bowl games that traditionally sold out and the absent players on nearly every non-playoff bowl team.

Disagree. I love bowl season and enjoy ever game I can watch. Thanks to the transfer portal we now have a top notch QB so there's that.

If you can get a seat in the corner (rinks have no corners but you know where I mean) in the first row where the action is on the boards, it is loads of fun. Nothing separating you and the physical action but a piece of fiberglass.
LOL, you are right! Many years ago when I was in the air force, me and some of my buddies snagged some NHL tickets gratis from the base recreation office, it was the Denver team playing somebody, do not even remember who (40+ years ago). They were premium seats, right behind the glass. I did not understand what was going on, but at one point one of the opposing players got violently sandwiched between two Denver players right in front of me. He was flat faced against the glass, when the Denver guys backed off, he slid down the glass onto the ice. He was out cold (no pun intended). I think this was before the NHL cracked down on fighting, as there were a number of fights and shoving going on throughout the game. It was the only ice hockey match I have seen, but it was very entertaining.

I don't think anyone has claimed the playoffs have "disenfranchised" anyone. What they have done is create a popular perception that the other bowls are diminished and, as they say, perception is reality. That perception is evidenced by the tens of thousands of empty seats at bowl games that traditionally sold out and the absent players on nearly every non-playoff bowl team.

The argument that the other bowls mean less necessitates disenfranchisement. The only way the bowls mean less is if something was taken away from the participants because of the playoffs. in any event, I just don't see why the advent of the playoffs made fans or whoever feel like the Music City Bowl suddenly wasn't as important as it was pre-playoff.

If anything has diminished the importance of bowl games it's the proliferation of bowl games.

Reactions: atl-cock
The argument that the other bowls mean less necessitates disenfranchisement. The only way the bowls mean less is if something was taken away from the participants because of the playoffs. in any event, I just don't see why the advent of the playoffs made fans or whoever feel like the Music City Bowl suddenly wasn't as important as it was pre-playoff.

If anything has diminished the importance of bowl games it's the proliferation of bowl games.
As an example, historically, the Orange Bowl has "meant more" than the Sun Bowl.

Reactions: RattleCock

I think there's an argument the proliferation of bowl games probably make bowls like the Mayo Bowl meaningless in a lot of eyes. But I don't think that explains why you have empty seats in the Sugar, Orange, and Cotton Bowls when those bowls aren't part of the playoffs. I don't think the Potato Bowl or Weed Eater Bowl are attracting fans who would have otherwise buy tickets to a New Year's Day Bowl.

Reactions: RattleCock
Worth watching anymore. Between the op outs and transfer portal...it's very discouraging. Every man for himself....college football is becoming a joke....NFL has been a joke for a while now. Not sure what sport to watch anymore.
College football is already a joke. Players are athletes only, not college athletes that represent a university. Simply a development league for the NFL. I went to the last bowl game in Charlotte when we played Virginia and wished I hadn't. From the opening kickoff, the team nor coaching staff seemed to care about being there. It's a lot to ask fans to spend time and money for that kind of effort.

As an example, historically, the Orange Bowl has "meant more" than the Sun Bowl.

That is certainly true. Not all bowls are created equal. I just hear people going on about how the playoffs have diminished bowl season and I just don't see the connection at all. As noted above, it doesn't really matter I guess. Perception is reality.

Reactions: atl-cock
College football is already a joke. Players are athletes only, not college athletes that represent a university. Simply a development league for the NFL. I went to the last bowl game in Charlotte when we played Virginia and wished I hadn't. From the opening kickoff, the team nor coaching staff seemed to care about being there. It's a lot to ask fans to spend time and money for that kind of effort.
Less so in NCAA D-II, D-III, and the NAIA. Student-athletes at that level know for the most part that playing in the NFL is not realistic (nor is a career in the CFL, nor the XFL if it ever comes back realistic). Maybe Arena Football at best).

The impression I get is that participants at these collegiate levels, if they stay in the game, will end up coaching - high school or small college.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT