ADVERTISEMENT

I'm sure that Alex Murdaugh is not a flight risk

As a former CPA , auditing a lawyers ' trust account ' is next to impossible to give an opinion as to its accuracy . Documentation is sketchy at best . Agree with the above : AM apparently running a Ponzi scheme .

As a former CPA , auditing a lawyers ' trust account ' is next to impossible to give an opinion as to its accuracy . Documentation is sketchy at best . Agree with the above : AM apparently running a Ponzi scheme .
Hoping people on the board can help me understand this:

Let’s just assume for a moment all of the issues with documentation and procedure for the settlement were standard (ie the insurance co’s hired counsel not named murdaugh, they fought to get the settlement down, and then checked documents re the case to make sure everything was valid, and the judge signed on something that made sense). I don’t really want to get into all of that.

Hiring Fleming and paying him 1/3 of the settlement money to sue his best friend and college roommate is definitely screwed up, and the satterfield kids were probably preyed upon to make sure Fleming got the case. But I don’t really want to get into that either.

Its the operations of the distribution of funds I’m more interested in, because it can result in a ton of financial liabilities for Alex murdaugh, which can lead to both AM having to embezzle from his own firm and also motive for someone to murder his wife and son. Just take this settlement as one example, and then think of it happening with every AM handled settlement, not just on the defense side but also on the plaintiff’s side. The key is having control of the settlement payout and the “creation” of the structured settlement. AM directed the settlement money to be deposited to an account he could control, but I think the satterfield kids were promised payment out of another account setup by the banker, under the assumption that some financial engineering took place behind the scenes and it was over their heads but that it all made sense to people smarter than them. In reality, the financial engineering and payment promise is all vapor. The kids are still expecting money they’re promised, and as long as they’re getting paid it doesn’t matter if it’s a legit structured settlement or not. It’s a Ponzi scheme, to keep it up, AM just has to have enough money to pay out the settlement annuity, but whether or not there’s enough funds in the account doesn’t matter because it doesn’t have to be verified because there’s no legal agreement to pay. Even if they setup a real structured settlement, as long as AM can take checks from the “Forge” account, and direct settlement payouts there, he can still run the scheme. Let’s say there are three cases back to back to back, and they payout $1m apiece. The settlement offers some type of annuity or payment (idk if there’s an interest rate or not) over the course of years, which actually gets paid. All the while, AM is drawing cash out of the account to pay for anything he wants, how long before the liabilities start piling up and the account gets upside down? Who and how do you choose not to pay? Do you have to start taking money out of your own account and depositing it in the one used for collateral for the real structured settlements? So you start stealing from the firm to cover the cash outflows. There are too many possible scenarios for that scheme to go wrong and piss off the wrong people, and murdaugh’s firm sued a lot of people and promised a lot of settlements. The jig was up. Idk if this is what actually happened, or if it’s even practical with the hoops you’d have to jump through, but that’s the way I understand it.

Oh no doubt about AM and the ponzi scheme! And I cannot help but believe johncockroach is on the facts with the "motive for someone to murder his wife and son' comment. That, I believe, is what SLED will ultimately prove, and that is an awfully terrible occurrence no matter how ya look at it.

And here's the thing; AM definitely had the motive(s) to have his wife and son killed. By that I mean with his wife in process of filing for divorce and having thier finances researched by an independent accounting firm, with all the tragedy and mayhem his son had caused with the boat crash, with the upcoming lawsuits from Mallory Beach's family and with the then about to unfold scamming he had pulled at the PMPED firm, as-well-as all the other crazy occurrences other than what I've already addressed herein, then YES, I do believe AM either pulled the trigger(s) himself, or hired someone else to do such for him.

No matter how ya slice it, AM has created and caused havoc that involves so many, this is just a damned major tragedy with ultra-major consequences for individuals the public is yet to become aware of.

All ya can do is just shake ya head as ya keep watchin' the sh_t pan-out about all this.

Reactions: johncockroach
Oh no doubt about AM and the ponzi scheme! And I cannot help but believe johncockroach is on the facts with the "motive for someone to murder his wife and son' comment. That, I believe, is what SLED will ultimately prove, and that is an awfully terrible occurrence no matter how ya look at it.

And here's the thing; AM definitely had the motive(s) to have his wife and son killed. By that I mean with his wife in process of filing for divorce and having thier finances researched by an independent accounting firm, with all the tragedy and mayhem his son had caused with the boat crash, with the upcoming lawsuits from Mallory Beach's family and with the then about to unfold scamming he had pulled at the PMPED firm, as-well-as all the other crazy occurrences other than what I've already addressed herein, then YES, I do believe AM either pulled the trigger(s) himself, or hired someone else to do such for him.

No matter how ya slice it, AM has created and caused havoc that involves so many, this is just a damned major tragedy with ultra-major consequences for individuals the public is yet to become aware of.

All ya can do is just shake ya head as ya keep watchin' the sh_t pan-out about all this.
Yeah maybe I should’ve been a bit more clear, while I wouldn’t rule out the AM motive, I think he created a situation where a ton of other people could’ve had motive because of financial losses.

I wonder how he was looking at the boat crash lawsuit. Initially reading about him going through all of the hospital rooms after the crash to “control the situation” sounded like he was trying to protect his son. But given some of the ways he’s profited off of settlements even when they ruled against him, he could’ve also seen a payday coming. He probably would’ve needed Cook to be the boat driver to get insurance to cover, if Paul is the driver his a$$ is out in the wind. When he notices the case isn’t likely to result in insurance paying the settlement, all hell breaks loose because he realizes he’s lost it all, and there’s not enough in the diminished ponzi pot to cover it.

WTF? He took out a $4M policy on his housekeeper? How the heck did the insurance company not investigate this? That should've raised red flags all over the place.
My understanding is that that Gloria Satterfield died at their house - apparently “tripped over a dog and fell down the stairs.” Alex tells her sons to sue under his umbrella policy, directs them to a former law partner of his (Fleming), gets a $4 million settlement (of which their attorney took $1 million I believe) and the rest of the money was sent by Fleming to a holding company that was supposed to provide the boys with an annuity. But, the holding company was fake - allegedly set up by Alex - and the boys never got a dime! Listen to this interview with the Satterfield boys’ attorney, it’s riveting.

Hoping people on the board can help me understand this:

Let’s just assume for a moment all of the issues with documentation and procedure for the settlement were standard (ie the insurance co’s hired counsel not named murdaugh, they fought to get the settlement down, and then checked documents re the case to make sure everything was valid, and the judge signed on something that made sense). I don’t really want to get into all of that.

Hiring Fleming and paying him 1/3 of the settlement money to sue his best friend and college roommate is definitely screwed up, and the satterfield kids were probably preyed upon to make sure Fleming got the case. But I don’t really want to get into that either.

Its the operations of the distribution of funds I’m more interested in, because it can result in a ton of financial liabilities for Alex murdaugh, which can lead to both AM having to embezzle from his own firm and also motive for someone to murder his wife and son. Just take this settlement as one example, and then think of it happening with every AM handled settlement, not just on the defense side but also on the plaintiff’s side. The key is having control of the settlement payout and the “creation” of the structured settlement. AM directed the settlement money to be deposited to an account he could control, but I think the satterfield kids were promised payment out of another account setup by the banker, under the assumption that some financial engineering took place behind the scenes and it was over their heads but that it all made sense to people smarter than them. In reality, the financial engineering and payment promise is all vapor. The kids are still expecting money they’re promised, and as long as they’re getting paid it doesn’t matter if it’s a legit structured settlement or not. It’s a Ponzi scheme, to keep it up, AM just has to have enough money to pay out the settlement annuity, but whether or not there’s enough funds in the account doesn’t matter because it doesn’t have to be verified because there’s no legal agreement to pay. Even if they setup a real structured settlement, as long as AM can take checks from the “Forge” account, and direct settlement payouts there, he can still run the scheme. Let’s say there are three cases back to back to back, and they payout $1m apiece. The settlement offers some type of annuity or payment (idk if there’s an interest rate or not) over the course of years, which actually gets paid. All the while, AM is drawing cash out of the account to pay for anything he wants, how long before the liabilities start piling up and the account gets upside down? Who and how do you choose not to pay? Do you have to start taking money out of your own account and depositing it in the one used for collateral for the real structured settlements? So you start stealing from the firm to cover the cash outflows. There are too many possible scenarios for that scheme to go wrong and piss off the wrong people, and murdaugh’s firm sued a lot of people and promised a lot of settlements. The jig was up. Idk if this is what actually happened, or if it’s even practical with the hoops you’d have to jump through, but that’s the way I understand it.
I think you’ve nailed it.

Under suspicion for killing his wife and child, embezzled millions from partners, and just paid someone to shoot him. Nah Judge there's no way anyone might think he would take off

Uh, let his lilly white fly to Dick H’s……….where’s his stash😜

“We done smoked it.”

UPDATE: FBI is now involved in the murders of Maggie and Paul Murdaugh.

The man's a had ass. If he (i.e., AM) can actually even sleep at night, I cannot see how. And with the FBI having been announced by SLED as being involved, you can damned sure bet everyone involved with whatever/whenever that included Murdaugh at the upper level, then ALL THE OTHER PARTICIPANTS are for damned sure gonna talk voluntarily!!

Uh, let his lilly white fly to Dick H’s……….where’s his stash😜

“We done smoked it.”
Ya know ol' Dick H has what they call "the force" with him pretty much all the time. I mean how the h_ll else could he get AM released without even havin' to post an actual monetary bond??!!??!!

Good ole boy works both ways…….which is fine I guess
That "Good ole boy" goes "both ways" for sure!! I mean he represents Alex Murdaugh with pride, goes on national tv to tell the world that his client is an innocent drug addict that didn't murder his own wife and son! On the hand (like I said, both ways), he wants all the bars shut down in 5 Points 'cause he's worried about young folks drinkin' too much so close to his home!! I mean that "both ways Good ole boy" just don't realize that normal people HAVE TO HAVE THE OPTION OF A DRINK OR TWO just to be in the same city with him!! They HAVE TO BE DRUNK to knowingly be in the same neighborhood - No Matter what the time of day or night may be!!!

A Good ole boy that goes whichever way he can to make some dough or get a lil' publicity!! "The Force" is with him alright!! The question is, which one?!?!?!

Reactions: chief2791
OK I'm going to throw this out there. Maybe a crazy thought. Is there any chance that Murdaugh's wife and kid were not the ones that were murdered? They certainly would have the clout to be able to get a couple of homeless folks, set them up at the ranch and murder them, meanwhile the wife and son have been taken to an island somewhere. The son was probably looking at jail time for reckless homicide. Maybe the reason there are no real advances on the murders is that they aren't really trying. I know it would take a HUGE conspiracy, but I think they are capable of it.

OK I'm going to throw this out there. Maybe a crazy thought. Is there any chance that Murdaugh's wife and kid were not the ones that were murdered? They certainly would have the clout to be able to get a couple of homeless folks, set them up at the ranch and murder them, meanwhile the wife and son have been taken to an island somewhere. The son was probably looking at jail time for reckless homicide. Maybe the reason there are no real advances on the murders is that they aren't really trying. I know it would take a HUGE conspiracy, but I think they are capable of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT