ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - February 16 (Notes on bigtime WR, OL, DL, more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
USC 2016 wide receiver target Bryan Edwards visited Wake Forest this past weekend and is set to see Georgia for the Dawgs' junior day on February 21. At this time, USC is still in strong position for the in-state wideout, who last visited for the Gamecocks' junior day. He received a lot of one-on-one attention from receivers coach Steve Spurrier Jr. during that visit and while he at one time envisioned making a decision sometime during the season, it could be earlier than that now.

Orlando (Fla.) Bishop Moore's Parker Boudreaux has one of the lengthiest offer lists in the country, and counts South Carolina among the group. While the 6-foot-4, 278-pounder has not yet been to Columbia, he told me over the weekend that he hopes to make a trip to Columbia in the future. He told me that USC was recruiting him "very hard." It's still early in the process for him, but Clemson, Florida, and Notre Dame are some programs to watch for him early.

Another 2016 OL we Quandeski Whitlow was "like a brother" to him, and that only helps USC's cause. Pritchett pumped the brakes on an early commitment, but the Gamecocks are in good shape right now.

While we have not caught up yet with four-star DT Kyree Campbell to get his thoughts on junior day, I'm told that the 6-foot-5, 295-pounder had a very good time on first trip to Columbia and that he came away speaking very highly of Deke Adams. The pair have seemed to form a strong early relationship that should, in conjunction with the visit, keep USC in the running here. Ohio State has been a very strong early favorite and considered to be the frontrunner for Campbell.

Wes mentioned 2017 Stone Mountain (Ga.) Stephenson defensive back Carlito Gonzalez right after USC's big official visit weekend wrapped up in late January, and USC has since firmed up an offer to the 6-foot-2, 195-pounder. Gonzalez has made it no secret that South Carolina is his preferred destination, but don't expect anything to happen on that front until he visits Columbia. The Gamecock staff wants him to make a visit and see him in person as well before allowing him to pull the trigger on an early commitment, if it comes to that.

We've been telling subscribers for a while that USC has been sitting in strong position for New Jersey four-star WR Brandon McIlwain will be playing seven on seven this spring/summer with Hawkins. That team is scheduled to stop in Columbia in March for a visit.

Multiple sources believe USC remains in a strong position with bigtime TE Naseir Upshur, a prospect that McIlwain is also recruiting.

I know everyone is anxious to get more information on where things stand with USC signee Shameik Blackshear after his recent arrest, but to be quite honest there is not any new information to pass along at this time. South Carolina is going to continue gathering facts about the incident and may know more on that front at some point this week. As soon as I have an update, I'll pass it on. Even taking away the arrest (to my knowledge, his first), Blackshear has had some other smaller issues along the way that he needs to ensure that he pulls back from in the future in order to reach his potential. I know that's not saying much at this point, but I just wanted to let everyone know that we're keeping an eye on the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News