ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - September 14 - Tindall, Gwyn, Wonnum, Horn

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Another significant name we’re adding to the Saturday visitors list is four-star offensive lineman Jovaughn Gwyn. Wes previously documented that his teammate, 2019 RB Quavaris Crouch, is slated to be in town for the Gamecocks’ home opener against Kentucky. It appears that Crouch will also be in tow.

The Charlotte product made the short trip to Bank of America Stadium to watch the Gamecocks defeat NC State, and we’re told the victory made an impression on Gwyn given that State was favored to win that contest. It’s been tough to get a handle on Gwyn’s timeline as he’s wrestled with his choice and whether or not to take additional official visits, but I do think South Carolina is in the best shape here. Numbers are tight, but USC wants to fit in Gwyn as an interior lineman and Dylan Wonnum as an offensive tackle.

Speaking of Wonnum, much was made recently about him talking up Auburn as a potential leader. Based on what we have to go on in talking to multiple people, we still believe South Carolina is poised long-term to be the odds-on favorite. Wonnum and his parents will once again be in town on Saturday.

Four-star linebacker Channing Tindall told Wes after a recent Spring Valley game that he was essentially down to two programs, although he did not name them. I believe the two front-runners at this point to be Florida and South Carolina. It was somewhat telling that Tindall delayed announcing his official visits, and ultimately his decision that was planned for mid-September, due to the hurricane that had a significant effect on the Sunshine State. Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Notre Dame and others are going to continue trying here, but I think South Carolina’s primary competition right now is Florida. USC’s 2-0 start to the season has helped, and 3-0 would do even more. If you wanted me to lay odds, I’d favor the Gamecocks at this point.

South Carolina’s communication has continued – strongly – with four-star defensive back Jaycee Horn since his verbal commitment to Tennessee. Horn told us he’s hoping to make it to Columbia this weekend for the game. Either way, South Carolina is still well within striking distance on this one and has a shot to pull a flip at some point.

When he announces on September 17, in-state athlete Steven Gilmore will be heading somewhere other than South Carolina. We’ve documented how tight USC’s numbers are at this point. We could not completely rule out Gilmore ending up in the class one way or another before all is said and done, but it would take some changes for that to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News