ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa gets it

cocean

Jan 27, 2006
They know they are mostly irrelevant in football and stick with a pretty alright coach. Play in a few big games here and there..Carolina needs to learn this

Iowa is hardly irrelevant. They're approaching 700 wins in program history, won 20 bowl games and multiple conference titles, and are playing for the Big 10 title for the second time in seven seasons. They have a rich football history, but even if you just look at recent history....like the past 20 seasons....they've been to the Rose Bowl and multiple Orange Bowls, and will have played in 17 bowl games and won 10 or more games seven times.

They’re far from irrelevant, but they’re ok with being ok-to-pretty good. It’s certainly one potential path. Accept the reality of your situation and be the best pretty good team you can be.

Reactions: Lakecock1
This is exactly why he did it. The urinals and shitters are pink, too. Hayden was a Psych major in college before going into the USMC. Had the pleasure to meet him. He was a beauty.
Now I love it even more! 😁

Very cool that you got to meet a legend, brother.

Iowa in the last 40 years is probably one of the top 20 programs in CFB. In that span Carolina is maybe top 50. Not really a great comparison.

Demographics are also very different. Iowa has a much better educational system than we do here in SC. It also has a fantastic HS wrestling system that helps develop some amazing Olinemen and TEs

In 23 years there, he's won 10 or more games 7 times, been a B10 champ or co-champ 4 times, gone to one Rose Bowl, and 2 Orange Bowls. That's a heck of a lot more than most "irrelevant" teams can dream of. If a coach ever does comparable things here, he'll be a legend.

I agree 100 % If a coach wins 10-11 games a couple times here in his first five season he is a legend and would have a long career here is that if what he wants :)

Kirk Ferentz in his first five years

1-10
3-9
7-5
11-2
10-3

Last edited:
Thats not good enuff for Carolina fans
I dont get this consistent take on this board that Carolina fan's expectations are too high. I just don't see it. I think the vast majority of fans would take an Iowa-like success for the Gamecocks all day long. And if we could get the same level of consistent success for men's basketball, get baseball back to elite and maintain elite status of women's basketball, i would be very please with Carolina athletics.

I agree 100 % If a coach wins 10-11 games a couple times here in his first five season he is a legend and would have a long career here is that is what he wants :)

Kirk Ferentz in his first five years

1-10
3-9
7-5
11-2
10-3
I understand your point. But we struggled to beat mid -major teams and got blown out by others, including teams that were not so good this year. We had no earthquake wins this year (Florida and Auburn were both down). We STILL don't know what we have for a Head Coach. And right now, it looks like he is wanting to keep as Offensive Coordinator, someone who, in four seasons, has been an unmitigated failure as OC. If sports were everything, it would be downright depressing.

Reactions: Gradstudent
I understand your point. But we struggled to beat mid -major teams and got blown out by others, including teams that were not so good this year. We had no earthquake wins this year (Florida and Auburn were both down). We STILL don't know what we have for a Head Coach. And right now, it looks like he is wanting to keep as Offensive Coordinator, someone who, in four seasons, has been an unmitigated failure as OC. If sports were everything, it would be downright depressing.

I have no issue with that viewpoint my post was more about Iowa and Ferentz, that if Beamer wins 10 games a few times in his first year then its fairly easy to get behind and keep him. I don't have a feel for what Beamer will or wont accomplish here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT