ADVERTISEMENT

Is apathy worse than anger?

Its Entertainment. If it is not working for you.....stop.
As I've posted before, one of my brothers did just that. He got fed up a few years ago after many years of being a huge fan. He took up other interests, and now doesn't even know or care when they're playing.

Bama, Clemson, UGA and maybe a few others have as many on the payroll as the NCAA allows.

You'd think Bama wouldn't need to but they go after recruits harder than anyone. Clemson mimics Bama's approach.

As I've posted before, one of my brothers did just that. He got fed up a few years ago after many years of being a huge fan. He took up other interests, and now doesn't even know or care when they're playing.

I don’t know how you can just turn it off completely. I’m like a spouse trapped in an abusive relationship - I keep coming back for more.

Reactions: GC-Gamecock
The danger is that people will buy fewer season tickets and the big donors will refuse to cut checks. That's when facilities fall behind.

At present, it looks like everyone just shows up to drink and socialize. Nobody really expects the the team to compete against the big boys.

To the first part, that's also when coaches get fired and replaced. Especially when they manage the program that funds all the other sports.

To the second part, back when tickets were $25 and parking was $5, 80,000 Gamecock fans could show up just to drink, socialize, party, and maybe get lucky and watch the Gamecocks win in the process. But with today's costs of going to a game, it's cheaper to drink and socialize at home or a sports bar.

Reactions: gamecock922
Love the Question. I'm leaning towards apathy as a coping mechanism against my anger. Would that be ok? I figure it doesn't do any good to be angry, as I do not want to tear down this team or the coaches than they already have. At the same time not sure how to feel about the state of the program as it's been frustrating to watch the same things over again hoping for a different result. I'm not sure how we were able to recruit so we'll. After Ellis and Lawing left the program fell apart. I guess I'm definitely using apathy to calm my anger. Until we get better at cheating. We're going to continue to suck.

Happy Thanksgiving. I know that wont be easy at the dinner.

I have really not posted here, at least nothing more than a few replies, but I visit daily. I am writing now because I am concerned about my feelings toward gamecock football. I am a 93 graduate, a third generation alumnus. the 4th generation of my family is there now. I spent most of my childhood and adulthood going to the games. We stopped getting season tickets when my son's soccer commitments created conflicts that made going to games impossible. I say all of that to give my post some level of credibility that I am invested in Carolina. I am also not wanting to provoke anyone. I just find myself caring less and less about our games. at the start of the 4th quarter Saturday, when realized we (the coaches) were going to try to ride out a 17 point lead when our defense was getting the business, I decided to take a drive. My wife called me and said she left the room then looked out the window and saw me driving by in my truck. This is my coping mechanism, I can't make myself endure watching an implosion all the while hoping for a turn-around. In 1984 during the navy game I rode my bike, now I drive a truck. judging by the fit of my clothes, I think I need to go back to the bike. As I type this I realize that maybe my actions show that I do indeed care, but I think I actually watch the games out of habit at this point. I want very desperately to back a winner, or at least see something I can be proud of. I hate being pleasantly surprised when we don't lose. on Saturday, the play on the field could have been enough to win, even with the flaws, but the coaches snatched defeat from victory. My point is that I don't really get mad, I just find my "give-a-da*m" just decreases after each season and I hate that is happening.

I do hope we find success and pray for me while I visit my clemson inlaws for Thanksgiving (and that does include Saturday). Peace be with you.

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's comments and I believe, deep-down, that we can get back. we did it with Spurrier, so "why not here". I also agree that clemson's success makes it worse. it made me mad during our winning streak over them they still made bcs games. We couldn't even get to the Sugar bowl in 2010 as Sec runner up when auburn went to the bcs championship.

I don't quite understand what the ad at Clemson saw in Dabo but he looks like a da*n genius now. It doesn't help that I live in the upstate and have it thrown in my face constantly. hopefully RT will look like a genius in a few years.

I have really not posted here, at least nothing more than a few replies, but I visit daily. I am writing now because I am concerned about my feelings toward gamecock football. I am a 93 graduate, a third generation alumnus. the 4th generation of my family is there now. I spent most of my childhood and adulthood going to the games. We stopped getting season tickets when my son's soccer commitments created conflicts that made going to games impossible. I say all of that to give my post some level of credibility that I am invested in Carolina. I am also not wanting to provoke anyone. I just find myself caring less and less about our games. at the start of the 4th quarter Saturday, when realized we (the coaches) were going to try to ride out a 17 point lead when our defense was getting the business, I decided to take a drive. My wife called me and said she left the room then looked out the window and saw me driving by in my truck. This is my coping mechanism, I can't make myself endure watching an implosion all the while hoping for a turn-around. In 1984 during the navy game I rode my bike, now I drive a truck. judging by the fit of my clothes, I think I need to go back to the bike. As I type this I realize that maybe my actions show that I do indeed care, but I think I actually watch the games out of habit at this point. I want very desperately to back a winner, or at least see something I can be proud of. I hate being pleasantly surprised when we don't lose. on Saturday, the play on the field could have been enough to win, even with the flaws, but the coaches snatched defeat from victory. My point is that I don't really get mad, I just find my "give-a-da*m" just decreases after each season and I hate that is happening.

I do hope we find success and pray for me while I visit my clemson inlaws for Thanksgiving (and that does include Saturday). Peace be with you.

Im class of 95. Im the same way now. I couldnt sleep the night before big games. I think its age. I think we have been burned so many times, just heart broken that now i do the same thing. Instead of drive i took a walk to the store. Couldve drove but just wanted to walk. The older i get im thinkimg we will never see the day the administration wants to win as much as you and i want them to win.

To the first part, that's also when coaches get fired and replaced. Especially when they manage the program that funds all the other sports.

To the second part, back when tickets were $25 and parking was $5, 80,000 Gamecock fans could show up just to drink, socialize, party, and maybe get lucky and watch the Gamecocks win in the process. But with today's costs of going to a game, it's cheaper to drink and socialize at home or a sports bar.
Good point.

Gilmore was the first big one. Will Hillinski and Pickens be that for Muschamp? Time will tell.

We've blown games in the past, and we'll blow games in the future. I always liked that at least prior coaches, particularly Holtz and Spurrier, wouldn't pull any punches about stupid decisions, poor plays etc. after a loss, or even after a win. Muschamp's defense of everything associated with some pretty bad losses is what has me concerned right now. It's probably why he's known as a player's coach - he defends them to no end even when they maybe shouldn't be. So is it just coachspeak and defense of his players and coaches, or does he really not see it? He's gotta see it, right?
I think Muschamp is stubborn as hell. Why else would he rehire Roper and Hutzler?

I think Muschamp is stubborn as hell. Why else would he rehire Roper and Hutzler?
Maybe they have a good relationship, they agree on the objectives that will deliver the goal, respect each other, know how to recruit the players they want and coach to an ideal that will create wins. There are most likely many reasons he wishes them on his staff.

Maybe they have a good relationship, they agree on the objectives that will deliver the goal, respect each other, know how to recruit the players they want and coach to an ideal that will create wins. There are most likely many reasons he wishes them on his staff.
I notice you didn't include scoring points in that list.

Why not tell us how you would "create wins" without scoring points?
That's my point. Roper didn't score points at Florida and he didn't score points here. Given that Roper coached at three programs and only produced one season that was in the top 50% of offenses in the country, his track record was established.

That's my point. Roper didn't score points at Florida and he didn't score points here. Given that Roper coached at three programs and only produced one season that was in the top 50% of offenses in the country, his track record was established.

I am somewhat dumbfounded that you are concerned about a Coach in Colorado !
What does any of this have to do with the 2018 Gamecocks football team?

I am somewhat dumbfounded that you are concerned about a Coach in Colorado !
What does any of this have to do with the 2018 Gamecocks football team?
You're right. Muschamp's stubbornness and inability to learn from mistakes has nothing to do with 2018. Just look at the Florida game. It's not like he got conservative and had a late-game collapse similar to the USC game in 2014.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
You're right. Muschamp's stubbornness and inability to learn from mistakes has nothing to do with 2018. Just look at the Florida game. It's not like he got conservative and had a late-game collapse similar to the USC game in 2014.

Man.....believe what you will. Stubbornness is not necessarily good nor bad. As long as he recruits his 3rd full class (2019 class) and subsequent classes to accomplish what he and his OC are trying to accomplish, we will be ok.

I have been watching the Gamecock football program for a long time...since before Tommy Suggs took his first varsity snap. We have had many hard headed, stubborn coaches.
Jim Carlen was stubborn. Steve Spurrier was stubborn. And others.

This wouldn't even be a topic except you are frustrated. So be frustrated. No one really cares that you are. We all want a winner. And we have been in worse places many seasons. Only better than 7-5 (an admitted assumption) a few times. So relax. I believe Will will get the job done. But he has not had enough time to develop his plan. Judge him after the 2021 season. That we be 5 full classes of his doing. If we are still 7-5 you may have a point.

The right man can do it; I'm convinced of it. It's all about putting the right people together. Find the man who can do that, and we can become nationally relevant. It has already been proven. He might be here right now. That hasn't been proven.

I don't doubt that it can be done at USC, but I disagree that one coach can do it. From watching Clemson build a program over the last 10 years, to me its obvious that you need buy in and support from the top to the bottom.

At Clemson from the President and BOT to the AD, students, alumni, to the guys on the janitorial staff at the football facility, everyone is on the same page and pulling in the same direction. It also takes making unpopular and or tough decisions. Until that happens, to quote the OBC, "It is, what it is".

USC is in a top conference, is bringing in plenty of cash, and has a loyal fan base, alumni with big $$, so what is missing? I think it is dedication from the upper echelons of the university. Is the BOT and President dedicated to becoming a premier football program? If not then it will never happen. I think the BOT went the easy route when they promoted Ray Tanner to be AD and demonstrates their commitment level to their athletic programs. RT is heck of a nice guy and legendary baseball coach, but under qualified to be the AD at school the size of USC. He's out of his depth. How many other D1 schools would have made that move? I cant think of one that internally promoted a head coach to AD in D1. Im sure it happens and D2 and D3 schools but I can't recall it happening anywhere else.

There are other things at a university that are important, but we all know that football makes all the $$ and allows all the other sports to exist. The championships in non-revenue sports are great but they are secondary to the cash cow that is college football in the south. I would bet that 80K in the stands for 7 games a year is more butts in seats than all the other sports combined, if not its probably pretty close. It drives other things like student enrollment and gives a university national exposure that it wouldn't otherwise have.

I don't doubt that it can be done at USC, but I disagree that one coach can do it. From watching Clemson build a program over the last 10 years, to me its obvious that you need buy in and support from the top to the bottom.

At Clemson from the President and BOT to the AD, students, alumni, to the guys on the janitorial staff at the football facility, everyone is on the same page and pulling in the same direction. It also takes making unpopular and or tough decisions. Until that happens, to quote the OBC, "It is, what it is".

USC is in a top conference, is bringing in plenty of cash, and has a loyal fan base, alumni with big $$, so what is missing? I think it is dedication from the upper echelons of the university. Is the BOT and President dedicated to becoming a premier football program? If not then it will never happen. I think the BOT went the easy route when they promoted Ray Tanner to be AD and demonstrates their commitment level to their athletic programs. RT is heck of a nice guy and legendary baseball coach, but under qualified to be the AD at school the size of USC. He's out of his depth. How many other D1 schools would have made that move? I cant think of one that internally promoted a head coach to AD in D1. Im sure it happens and D2 and D3 schools but I can't recall it happening anywhere else.

There are other things at a university that are important, but we all know that football makes all the $$ and allows all the other sports to exist. The championships in non-revenue sports are great but they are secondary to the cash cow that is college football in the south. I would bet that 80K in the stands for 7 games a year is more butts in seats than all the other sports combined, if not its probably pretty close. It drives other things like student enrollment and gives a university national exposure that it wouldn't otherwise have.
I'm speaking with regard to football: One man who can put all the right people together. He needs help with resources from the administration, but he is the catalyst. That's the way it's done everywhere you go or look.

Man.....believe what you will. Stubbornness is not necessarily good nor bad. As long as he recruits his 3rd full class (2019 class) and subsequent classes to accomplish what he and his OC are trying to accomplish, we will be ok.

I have been watching the Gamecock football program for a long time...since before Tommy Suggs took his first varsity snap. We have had many hard headed, stubborn coaches.
Jim Carlen was stubborn. Steve Spurrier was stubborn. And others.

This wouldn't even be a topic except you are frustrated. So be frustrated. No one really cares that you are. We all want a winner. And we have been in worse places many seasons. Only better than 7-5 (an admitted assumption) a few times. So relax. I believe Will will get the job done. But he has not had enough time to develop his plan. Judge him after the 2021 season. That we be 5 full classes of his doing. If we are still 7-5 you may have a point.

I’ll never understand people with these 5-year time tables for coaches. Do you think the Texas, Michigan, Texas A&M, FSU, UF fan bases care if their coaches have a 5-year recruiting cycle before success can be attained? Jim Harbaugh won 10 games in his 1st season at Michigan and people said he inherited a mess from the Brady Hoke era. Sound familiar?

The difference in history and tradition aside, it’s a lazy apologetic argument for programs without expectations. USC has as much resources as all of those schools above yet the narrative here is always “wait and see” and “let him build it with his players.”

I’m also tired of people saying that the cupboard was bare when Spurrier left. Yes, CWM inherited a 3-9 team that lost to the Citadel, however, that same team only lost by 5 points to the National Championship runner-up that season.

You can frame your excuses for CWM all you want.The bottom line is some schools hire difference makers and some just hire coaches. I was one on the fence about CWM when he was hired and I’ve seen enough to label him as just another coach.

I’ll never understand people with these 5-year time tables for coaches. Do you think the Texas, Michigan, Texas A&M, FSU, UF fan bases care if their coaches have a 5-year recruiting cycle before success can be attained? Jim Harbaugh won 10 games in his 1st season at Michigan and people said he inherited a mess from the Brady Hoke era. Sound familiar?

The difference in history and tradition aside, it’s a lazy apologetic argument for programs without expectations. USC has as much resources as all of those schools above yet the narrative here is always “wait and see” and “let him build it with his players.”

I’m also tired of people saying that the cupboard was bare when Spurrier left. Yes, CWM inherited a 3-9 team that lost to the Citadel, however, that same team only lost by 5 points to the National Championship runner-up that season.

You can frame your excuses for CWM all you want.The bottom line is some schools hire difference makers and some just hire coaches. I was one on the fence about CWM when he was hired and I’ve seen enough to label him as just another coach.
I was emphatically against the hiring of Will Muschamp and I recognize that colors my opinion of him now. But I'm like most Americans and I believe that people can have a bad run one place, learn their lesson and comeback to accomplish great things. I honestly hoped that Muschamp was a a guy that would do just that. He works his ass off, that's for sure, and that goes a long way. He still has some time (well paid, I might add) to make his case.

But I cut Tanner no breaks. When he took over, we were beating Clemson's ass at everything. Now the difference in the program has never been wider. Tanner is a well-meaning, overpaid, amateur and it's painfully obvious in wins and losses. He's King Dixon 2.0.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

First, each of the programs you mention in your first paragraph have won a National Championship in football. They have a tradition and "top of mind" game recognition. There is and article written last year about the top 65 schools that are easy to recruit football players to. We were a paltry 34 out of 65. So each time we finish in the top 20 many would consider that a job well done.

You conveniently set history and tradition aside. Well, records are records and since 1966 we are 275-255-8...after Spurrier but not including Will. If Will finishes the regular season at 7-5....his first three years will be better than Spurriers first three.

Our recruiting took a nose dive when Shane Beamer left to go to Va Tech.
Shane was the best recruiting coordinator we have had here. This new group is on track to do better.

You misunderstand if you think I am defending Will, per se. I am not loyal to Will as a person or as a coach. I am loyal to my alma mater....to the the organization.....to the team.

Will is here....he was deemed the best choice to coach the Gamecocks. What I advocate is to support him, his staff and the kids as they pursue excellence for the institution. After 2021 season, if he is still 7-5 questions should be asked.

We are where we are. Will was hired and he is our guy. You need not like it,
but he isn't going anywhere for a while. Lou left Steve with a so so team for Spurrier to take over. It took Spurrier 6 years to get going. Will deserves five full classes and he will get them.

Everyone wants to win. I don't know anyone who doesn't want to win. Your opinion and my opinion are just that. Ours! Nobody cares what we think. I want to win ....just like you. I think it will happen. Maybe not on the timeline you wish but it will happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT