ADVERTISEMENT

Is ND really that much better than we are?

ND this year is better than we are this year. Last year, no. But UConn has never not been better than we are. We need to get that out of our heads right now. We've never really blown a game to them, have we? We have no grounds to think they aren't better until we beat them. What's the closest game we've had with them? 10 points?

A few seasons ago, Notre Dame went undefeated all the way up to the championship game, including 3 wins over UCONN. But UCONN beat them in the tournament final. Playing in the American is harming UCONN. Yes, I know king ward says the goal is to beat every opponent by 50, but blowouts do not prepare a team for close games in pressure situations.
So what do you do? Not blow out teams on purpose? UConn beat the SEC tournament champions by almost 30. UConn also takes on all comers non-conference, regardless of what conference they are in. UConn came down here and drubbed us down here. You think UCLA ever let up on teams? You don't orchestrate close games; they just happen. Otherwise, the great teams keep the hammer down. They got beat last night. All I know is it wasn't by us and if never has been by us. That's the issue we ought to be looking at.

Reactions: DrMickey and wcocat
So what do you do? Not blow out teams on purpose? UConn beat the SEC tournament champions by almost 30. UConn also takes on all comers non-conference, regardless of what conference they are in. UConn came down here and drubbed us down here. You think UCLA ever let up on teams? You don't orchestrate close games; they just happen. Otherwise, the great teams keep the hammer down. They got beat last night. All I know is it wasn't by us and if never has been by us. That's the issue we ought to be looking at.

William%2BShatner%252C%2Bchoke.-%2B%2523WilliamShatner%252C%2B%2523choke%2B%2523Kirk%2523StarTrek..jpg

Have a nice morning living vicariously through what ND was able to do that we haven't been able to do. I'm headed out for some recreation in a little while.

I'll be enjoying the sunny skies and the Spring game. Try not to choke on the golf course like your hero.

You're a much bigger loser than anyone on our WBB team. Have fun at the Republic Golf Club, champ.
Having utterly failed with logical refutation, you have predictably resorted to the personal attack, something which I eschew. I play at Lancaster Golf Club. But no matter, I expect to have a wonderful day, even as I do almost every day. Thanks.

Having utterly failed with logical refutation, you have predictably resorted to the personal attack, something which I eschew. I play at Lancaster Golf Club. But no matter, I expect to have a wonderful day, even as I do almost every day. Thanks.

lolz. You're not fooling anyone. You permanently hold a grudge against Dawn because she owned you last year.

Reactions: lawcalcock
Killing me with 2:00 left.
I think it's a match-up issue. We just don't match up well with UConn. We could probably go toe to toe with Notre Dame but we can't seem to get within double digits of UConn

Might just be me, but last night was the best defensive scheme I have seen against UCONN's offense. I hope DS was watching.

So the guy telling me getting blown out by UCONN wasn't embarrassing because they quote "do this to everyone..." is it still not not embarrassing to you?

ND's struggles with Miss St in s proof they are no better than we are... A'ja would have McGown begging for mercy by now

Reactions: winloseortie
Looks like ND surmounted whatever struggles Miss. State presented. They also overcame a host of injuries. I wish it were almost anyone else but they earned this championship indisputably.

Reactions: Cybercock
For as good as ND has been, tonight’s NC is only their 2nd. Just goes to show you how hard it is to win one, and even more impressive UCONN’s success has been.

Well they play a lot better defense than we did. Wide open 3's and lay ups don't get you wins.
Would someone explain to me how UCONN was getting all those uncontested, or slightly contested 3s on us? Of course, they were making them!

Would someone explain to me how UCONN was getting all those uncontested, or slightly contested 3s on us? Of course, they were making them!

When 2 of our 5 players on the court at any given time were some combination of Wilson, Jennings, Herbert-Harrigan or Lele (sometimes 3 of those 4), then it shouldn't be surprising that we couldn't defend the perimeter effectively. Jennings is especially poor defender outside of 3 feet from the basket. Our bigs were just too slow rotating to the ball against a team that plays 4 shooters and makes the extra pass like UCONN. We had only 3 players -- Harris, Jackson, Cliney -- who would qualify as perimeter defenders.

Reactions: ansoncock
When 2 of our 5 players on the court at any given time were some combination of Wilson, Jennings, Herbert-Harrigan or Lele (sometimes 3 of those 4), then it shouldn't be surprising that we couldn't defend the perimeter effectively. Jennings is especially poor defender outside of 3 feet from the basket. Our bigs were just too slow rotating to the ball against a team that plays 4 shooters and makes the extra pass like UCONN. We had only 3 players -- Harris, Jackson, Cliney -- who would qualify as perimeter defenders.
And, I presume no combination of man to man would not result in excessive fouls, based on our limited depth?

Reactions: DarkCock
And, I presume no combination of man to man would not result in excessive fouls, based on our limited depth?

Coach tried man-to-man, but Collier beat anyone big we put on her off the dribble (Wilson was forced to guard Samuelson). She was 7-11 from the field, mostly layups. Also, nearly every team we played ran pick n' roll with the player Jennings' was guarding. She's simply not very good defending away from the basket. I just don't know what we could do defensively against them. We could only hope they missed open perimeter shots like UGA, UT and MSU did in the SEC tournament, but, like you said, they made them.

We should give Muffet McGraw credit for a good game plan. She forced UCONN off the 3 point line and UCONN's players didn't drive to the basketball with any authority. UCONN's starting lineup shot ONE free throw the entire game (Notre Dame shot 17 more free throws than the Huskies). That's the way to play UCONN, but we didn't have the perimeter defenders to execute that plan.

Get down off the cross, we could use the wood. Stop with the martyr schtick. He asked a basketball question and I gave him a basketball answer.
You're so easily rankled. I, and not you, have ansoncock's best interests at heart. His question implied undue vulnerabilities that we aren't supposed to have by this stage in the program's development. It's dangerous to pose such questions around here. I'm not going to be as pedagogic in my explanation. The simple answer is this: other than A'ja Wilson, UConn is better than we are all the way down the roster. Mystery resolved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT