ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any sports figure in the USA or World for that matter more famous than Nick Saban?

I'm just not seeing it. I would bet that outside the US you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of people in each country that could identify him from just a head shot. Most don't consume American football, and the ones that do don't consume college football. They don't understand the popularity of college sports as it doesn't exist outside the US like it does here. Even inside the US, college sports isn't as popular as pros.

While I think every person with even a passing interest in sports would know Saban - those that don't watch sports would probably be clueless (it's not like he's endlessly profiled outside of sports channels - he's just not that interesting). They would know Tiger, Michael, LeBron, probably Peyton, Serena, maybe Curry - any number of pros.

No one will disagree with you about Saban's popularity in the United States. However, I do not think the people of Austria, India, Japan, South Africa, New Zealand and many other countries would know about Saban. The world would likely recognize Pep Guardiola and Lionel Messi rather than Saban.
I still don't think Saban is as recognizable in the US as OP thinks. Go outside the south and I bet people can pick Lebron, Tiger, Serena etc out of a lineup before Nick Saban. Hell Bill Bellichick could be more known than Saban on a true nationwide scale -- 7 NCs is nice but how about 6 Super Bowls? There's no question the NFL far outstrips cfb on a nationwide attention scale.

I still don't think Saban is as recognizable in the US as OP thinks. Go outside the south and I bet people can pick Lebron, Tiger, Serena etc out of a lineup before Nick Saban. Hell Bill Bellichick could be more known than Saban on a true nationwide scale -- 7 NCs is nice but how about 6 Super Bowls? There's no question the NFL far outstrips cfb on a nationwide attention scale.

Good point about Belichick.

No one will disagree with you about Saban's popularity in the United States. However, I do not think the people of Austria, India, Japan, South Africa, New Zealand and many other countries would know about Saban. The world would likely recognize Pep Guardiola and Lionel Messi rather than Saban.

Okay, perhaps that was a little to ambitious to include the entire world but I will just limit it to the US.

What crazy to me is how far MLB has fallen . Guys like Mantle , Mays , Joe D , Ted Williams we’re the biggest sports figures In the world . Granted I’m not an MLB fan but if Mike Trout walked into my living room tomorrow I wouldn’t recognize him .

Reactions: Areukidding1
Plenty of current sports stars are more well known than Saban. Especially when talking world wide. Am sure there are quite a few soccer players much more popular. Soccer doesn't carry too much weight in the USA, but worldwide it is the sport of choice. Even the NBA has a decent worldwide audience with their connections in China. College football has little reach beyond our shores.

If you visit LA on a football Saturday, almost nobody seems to care about Southern Cal or UCLA.

Actually, he is the 6th most famous sports celebrity currently. There is not a single American football player or coach anywhere on any list. The most famous American athletes are Tiger, Serena, Michael Phelps, Phil Mickelson, Steph Curry, Kevin Durant and the top, Lebron.

nah, no body gives a crap about those people.

If someone in the sports world doesn't know who Saban is they don't know anything about sports.

Gosh, every sports channel I watch is talking about Nick Saban and deservingly so, because what he has accomplished is unequaled.

When I was in grade school Mickey Mantel was the most popular athlete in the US, many the world. In fact, I just saw where a 1952 Mickey Mantle baseball card sold for $5.2 million. Then there was Muhammad Ali capturing the popularity of the Sports World for decades. But, right now it may be Nick Saban, he is certainly not the only popular athlete/coach in the world but I don't know of anyone that is more popular, maybe just as popular but not more popular.

Do you travel outside the USA a lot? Genuine question. Europe, the UK, Asia, Australia etc. They could not care less.

The Super Bowl has some traction.

Do you travel outside the USA a lot? Genuine question. Europe, the UK, Asia, Australia etc. They could not care less.

The Super Bowl has some traction.
Obviously not. Heck you can call over 10 places before you can even find someone that carries a game, many more to find someone willing to show it.

Reactions: Tyrannosaurus cox
Bottom line is Nick Saban, like him or not, is as well known as any sports figure in the US. Now, I will back off to include the entire world but Saban is as well known in the US as any American Sports. Not necessarily more popular but is as well known as anyone.

Everybody else is in 2nd place. Brother .
giphy.gif

Americans in the top 20:

2. Lebron James
6. Kevin Durant
7. Tiger Woods
10. Kobe Bryant
12. Phil Mickelson

I don't think that anyone outside of the SEC has ever heard of Nick Saban...maybe with the exception of alums from northern and western schools he has beaten.

Americans in the top 20:

2. Lebron James
6. Kevin Durant
7. Tiger Woods
10. Kobe Bryant
12. Phil Mickelson
I’ll take this one as well... walk Tiger Woods and any of those, possible exception Lebron although I doubt it (Durant?? Nah..) into a mall in Anytown USA and see who gets recognized first.

Jordan, still him. And Renaldo. World wide. The thing about Saban that is different from all the others is that he don’t want to be famous. He just wants to coach football.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Regardless people in LA couldn't listen to sports without hearing about Saban. Lebron may be just as popular but not more popular.

The average American don't give a hoot about soccer. Most people I know would have to be paid to watch soccer. I disagree with your last statement.
It is subjective and you are welcome to disagree, but I never said soccer was popular in America. Virtually EVERY country outside of America, Soccer is #1 and it is not close... so WORLD wide? Outside of the US, Saban is not even that well known I assure you. Yes, in the US he is among the most famous sports figures... like I said, top 5/top 10 at best though. I can rattle off 4-5 players/coaches/ former players in the NFL alone who are probably more well known. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Mahomes... Maybe even Jackson, Breese, Belicheck... These guys are superstars at a national level. Saban may seem more popular to those of us in SEC markets with no pro teams in our cities, but the rest of the US views CFB as second rate to the pros.
Well, let me give you an example, I don't even know what a what a mid-level EPL player is and I'm going to bet you most Americans don't ever.
Again sir- “In the World”- we in America are 1/195 countries and our population makes up what? Like 5% of the world’s population. Saban is pretty damn famous in America. ONLY. You go to any European country, and I bet the average sports fan could identify about 50+ soccer players from a picture and virtually none would recognize Saban. You seem to keep forgetting you have “or the World for that matter” in your thread title. Sure, an argument can be made for Saban being among the most famous Sports figures in America. Agreed. He is Waaaayyyyyyyy down the list when you consider the entire world. That would be like expecting one of us to know who is the best soccer coach of some University team in England. (Assuming they HAVE sports teams at Universities in England? I literally do bot even know without going to look it up)

Reactions: rogue cock
Jordan, still him. And Renaldo. World wide. The thing about Saban that is different from all the others is that he don’t want to be famous. He just wants to coach football.

I was wondering how we got this far without Michael Jordan. Jordan was already global before the Dream Team and afterwards he went to a level no athlete or coach has ever seen.

Pretty sure Nick Saban could walk the streets in Paris without too many issues. They would shut an area down for Michael Jordan to walk through it....even today.

Reactions: coolcock2001
Gosh, every sports channel I watch is talking about Nick Saban and deservingly so, because what he has accomplished is unequaled.

When I was in grade school Mickey Mantel was the most popular athlete in the US, many the world. In fact, I just saw where a 1952 Mickey Mantle baseball card sold for $5.2 million. Then there was Muhammad Ali capturing the popularity of the Sports World for decades. But, right now it may be Nick Saban, he is certainly not the only popular athlete/coach in the world but I don't know of anyone that is more popular, maybe just as popular but not more popular.

Agreed on every point except I don't know he's top 10 here. It's more than just the west that doesn't care about college football. It's most of the northeast too. Basically just the South and Ohio River Valley care about CFB at all. If I were guessing the 10 most famous sports-figures. Nationwide, you've got Lebron, Durant, Woods, Mickelson, Brady, Belichick, the Williams Sisters, Mayweather, Earnhardt Jr., Ronda Rousey. If we count WWE, John Cena, because of the memes, is one of the most famous of all of them. Undertaker is up there too. If we count retired ones, you've got dozens more.

But yeah, I don't think Saban has as much national recognition as any of them. You ask people across the country who Nick Saban is. Probably 75% of Southerners would know and maybe 25% of Californians. But basically anywhere, people are going to know who the above are.
Man... If we count WWE do we have to count the Rock too? He might be top of the list now that he is a movie star... He also played CFB.

You obviously don't know the soccer world like Messi, Ranoldo, etc. These guys are known in countries where they only have radio and no TV. Soccer rules the world in noteriety and money. These crazy numbers that NBA players are making are just 15-25 of them in one country, there are hundreds around the world making stupid money. I think it was Ranoldo that at the time signed the largest sports contract ever when he was 16yrs old and it was like $90mil for 4yrs to play soccer. His endorsements were crazy at the same time.

Reactions: rogue cock
I'm just not seeing it. I would bet that outside the US you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of people in each country that could identify him from just a head shot. Most don't consume American football, and the ones that do don't consume college football. They don't understand the popularity of college sports as it doesn't exist outside the US like it does here. Even inside the US, college sports isn't as popular as pros.

While I think every person with even a passing interest in sports would know Saban - those that don't watch sports would probably be clueless (it's not like he's endlessly profiled outside of sports channels - he's just not that interesting). They would know Tiger, Michael, LeBron, probably Peyton, Serena, maybe Curry - any number of pros.
World popularity:
1. Jurgen Klopp
2. Lionel Messi
3. Christiano Renaldo
4. A number of other top soccer players, such as Harry Kane or Neymar.

In the U.S.
1. Belicheck
2. Brady
3. Lebron

Americans in the top 20:

2. Lebron James
6. Kevin Durant
7. Tiger Woods
10. Kobe Bryant
12. Phil Mickelson
#6 is really odd to me. I know he's a basketball player. That's about all I know about him. He may be #6 in the world, but I doubt he's #6 in his own country.

#6 is really odd to me. I know he's a basketball player. That's about all I know about him. He may be #6 in the world, but I doubt he's #6 in his own country.
A little surprising to me as well. He’d be easy to recognize though. 7’ tall with gangly limbs stands out

World popularity:
1. Jurgen Klopp
2. Lionel Messi
3. Christiano Renaldo
4. A number of other top soccer players, such as Harry Kane or Neymar.

In the U.S.
1. Belicheck
2. Brady
3. Lebron

Klopp at #1? Sure, the Liverpool manager is going to be well known, but #1...I don't know. Besides, he can go straight to hell because that's where anyone associated with Liverfool belongs.

55979832.cms

I sort of laughed when I read this because I wouldn’t even put Savanna in the top 10. To each his own I guess...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT