ADVERTISEMENT

It sickens me when I realize Muschamp ran our program so far into the ground it's going to take

Just ask'n'... anyone predicting better than 5-7 this season or next??? (Using the word "IF" disqualifies any response).
It will take a 7-5 record for Carolina to probably finish 4-4 in the SEC Will a sub-.500 conference record be acceptable in a coaches 4th season? Something to think about.

Don't give me the schedule excuse. Drinkwitz and Kiffin are going into their 5th seasons at Missouri and Ole Miss and have not been destroying us in recruiting.

It will take a 7-5 record for Carolina to probably finish 4-4 in the SEC Will a sub-.500 conference record be acceptable in a coaches 4th season? Something to think about.

Don't give me the schedule excuse. Drinkwitz and Kiffin are going into their 5th seasons at Missouri and Ole Miss and have not been destroying us in recruiting.
Missing out on a bowl game last year was unacceptable but I doubt Ray cans him with a 5-7 record this year as unacceptable as it would be again. That would only happen at a program that has expectations.

Missing out on a bowl game last year was unacceptable but I doubt Ray cans him with a 5-7 record this year as unacceptable as it would be again. That would only happen at a program that has expectations.
I have always said that Beamer will be given as much time as Muschamp (5th season). I'm just saying that if you can't go .500 in the conference in Year 4, something is wrong, badly wrong. If that happens, I'd ask Beamer: What the hell have you been doing in the past 4 years?

I have always said that Beamer will be given as much time as Muschamp (5th season). I'm just saying that if you can't go .500 in the conference in Year 4, something is wrong, badly wrong. If that happens, I'd ask Beamer: What the hell have you been doing in the past 4 years?
It's a fair question.

Reactions: gamecock stock
WBB school. Accept it and continue to cash SEC checks. Tanner is the reason for failure, not Spurrier/Muschamp/Beamer. Not too hard to see BOT likes the money, which Ray generates.

And who the hell dug up a 3-year old thread? 😂

Reactions: 92Pony
I don't know. Have you seen the schedule? Probably the strongest we've ever faced. We're playing 7 teams in the Top 25 and 3 in the Top 10. Besides Vandy, what games would you expect us to win to get to .500 in the SEC?

WBB school. Accept it and continue to cash SEC checks. Tanner is the reason for failure, not Spurrier/Muschamp/Beamer. Not too hard to see BOT likes the money, which Ray generates.

Yes, I've stated something like this too. Ray has turned us into strictly an elite women's basketball school. State of the football program starts with Ray but doesn't exonerate Beamer. If we keep missing bowl games, we don't need him. I can coach the team for less if missing bowl games annually is acceptable.

I don't know. Have you seen the schedule? Probably the strongest we've ever faced. We're playing 7 teams in the Top 25 and 3 in the Top 10. Besides Vandy, what games would you expect us to win to get to .500 in the SEC?
As I said, Ole Miss and Missouri have not destroyed us in recruiting like, for example, Georgia. Thus, they are not heads and shoulders above us talent-wise. And we get them at home. Texas A&M is coming off a coaching change and we get them at home. We play Kentucky on the road. But we beat them last year and the year before. LSU at our place looks like a big mountain to climb until we realize that Missouri last year was beating them going into the 4th quarter. My point is that there are conference games we can win besides Vandy. I'm not saying we will win all those games. I am saying that there are winnable games other than Vandy. My goodness....this will be Beamer's 4th season here. What has he been doing in his recruiting trips? Hopefully , he has been getting quality players who, with good coaching, will win. After all, Beamer made changes on his staff after last season. Hopefully he brought in coaches who can provide that good coaching to quality recruits.

Reactions: PaleoCock
As I said, Ole Miss and Missouri have not destroyed us in recruiting like, for example, Georgia. Thus, they are not heads and shoulders above us talent-wise. And we get them at home. Texas A&M is coming off a coaching change and we get them at home. We play Kentucky on the road. But we beat them last year and the year before. LSU at our place looks like a big mountain to climb until we realize that Missouri last year was beating them going into the 4th quarter. My point is that there are conference games we can win besides Vandy. I'm not saying we will win all those games. I am saying that there are winnable games other than Vandy. My goodness....this will be Beamer's 4th season here. What has he been doing in his recruiting trips? Hopefully , he has been getting quality players who, with good coaching, will win. After all, Beamer made changes on his staff after last season. Hopefully he brought in coaches who can provide that good coaching to quality recruits.
It's a very tough road to .500. I'm not sure our best team ever would get there this season.

It's a very tough road to .500. I'm not sure our best team ever would get there this season.
It never is easy in the SEC no matter what and never will be. But if Ole Miss and Missouri can do it, to quote Steve Spurrier, "Why not us?".

And notice that I did not mention Alabama and Oklahoma on the road. Those 2 have Georgia-like talent. Those two are automatic "L's" in my book. The others do not and/or we play at home. If this was Beamer's first season following the disastrous Muschamp era, I would agree with you. But he has been bringing in HIS players, both out of high school and the transfer portal, for several years now. The transfer portal has changed the game in that you can practically build a new and different team over night. For example, we just brought in 2 new receivers: a former 4-star receiver from Florida State and a former All Mountain West honorable mention receiver. And he has had plenty of time to evaluate his coaches and, thus, made several changes after last season on his staff. If we can't break even in the conference in Year 4 of the Beamer era, I'm not sure we ever will with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: FORKCOCK
It never is easy in the SEC no matter what and never will be. But if Ole Miss and Missouri can do it, to quote Steve Spurrier, "Why not us?".

And notice that I did not mention Alabama and Oklahoma on the road. Those 2 have Georgia-like talent. Those two are automatic "L's" in my book. The others do not and/or we play at home. If this was Beamer's first season following the disastrous Muschamp era, I would agree with you. But he has been bringing in HIS players, both out of high school and the transfer portal, for several years now. The transfer portal has changed the game in that you can practically build a new and different team over night. For example, we just brought in 2 new receivers: a former 4-star receiver from Florida State and a former All Mountain West honorable mention receiver. And he has had plenty of time to evaluate his coaches and, thus, made several changes after last season on his staff. If we can't break even in the conference in Year 4 of the Beamer era, I'm not sure we ever will with him.
I dunno man. I think we would be far better off without the portal or NIL situation overall. Just look at last season and the players we lost who would have been difference-makers in some of those games. Year 4 means little if you're losing top talent which used to stick around for years. Also, Beamer has already broken even in the conference.

Reactions: Robhawk29

It has always been Tanner. We will be who we are as long as Tanner is AD.

I dunno man. I think we would be far better off without the portal or NIL situation overall. Just look at last season and the players we lost who would have been difference-makers in some of those games. Year 4 means little if you're losing top talent which used to stick around for years. Also, Beamer has already broken even in the conference.
NIL and the Portal impact all teams, not just us. When you lose players, it's up to you to bring in better than you lost. Yes, he broke even in Year 2. Then he regressed in Year 3. Do we want a coach who regresses or has the program stay the same? Or do we want a coach who continually improves the program? I choose the later.

Recruiting will never be easy at USC. It's not easy at Ole Miss. It's not easy at Missouri. We, Ole Miss and Missouri have generally recruited at the same level. What you have to have at schools like ours and theirs are coaches who can take the talent they put on the field and overachieve with them. Drinkwitz did that his one year at App. State (finishing 18th in the nation). and last season at Missouri, finishing 8th in the nation (in Year 4). Kiffin did that at Florida Atlantic. He has done that at Ole Miss finishing 11th in the nation and 9th in the nation (in Year 4). Have Drinkwitz and Kiffin been bringing in overall Top 10 classes to Missouri and Ole Miss? No. But they evidently have good coaching staffs at both programs. I don't think it's a coincidence that Beamer had more staff turnover after last season's disappointing year than in the prior 2 years. Am I saying we should finish in the Top 10 or even in the Top 15 in Year 4 of Beamer's program? No. Making progress is not asking for too much. 4-4 in the SEC would be progress and reasonable.

ust look at last season and the players we lost who would have been difference-makers in some of those games.
Don't think you can judge the portal/NIL because we hired an incompetent head coach who hasn't shown the ability to at least hire competent coordinators.

Marshawn Lloyd left because of coaching and not money.

Don't think you can judge the portal/NIL because we hired an incompetent head coach who hasn't shown the ability to at least hire competent coordinators.

Marshawn Lloyd left because of coaching and not money.
Why would you say this? Lloyd got better NIL deals at USC-W.

NIL and the Portal impact all teams, not just us. When you lose players, it's up to you to bring in better than you lost. Yes, he broke even in Year 2. Then he regressed in Year 3. Do we want a coach who regresses or has the program stay the same? Or do we want a coach who continually improves the program? I choose the later.

Recruiting will never be easy at USC. It's not easy at Ole Miss. It's not easy at Missouri. We, Ole Miss and Missouri have generally recruited at the same level. What you have to have at schools like ours and theirs are coaches who can take the talent they put on the field and overachieve with them. Drinkwitz did that his one year at App. State (finishing 18th in the nation). and last season at Missouri, finishing 8th in the nation (in Year 4). Kiffin did that at Florida Atlantic. He has done that at Ole Miss finishing 11th in the nation and 9th in the nation (in Year 4). Have Drinkwitz and Kiffin been bringing in overall Top 10 classes to Missouri and Ole Miss? No. But they evidently have good coaching staffs at both programs. I don't think it's a coincidence that Beamer had more staff turnover after last season's disappointing year than in the prior 2 years. Am I saying we should finish in the Top 10 or even in the Top 15 in Year 4 of Beamer's program? No. Making progress is not asking for too much. 4-4 in the SEC would be progress and reasonable.
Ole Miss and Missouri have both benefitted from the NIL. We haven't. I would have much rather had Lloyd, Bell, Burch, Wells, etc. and a Blake Mitchell or Steven Thompson caliber QB than what we had last season. We were far too one-dimensional on offense and a good part of that had to do with losing players to the NIL.

This has been discussed in the past but we are in a difficult position with football in the SEC. We aren't in an attractive location or have the history. We've never brought in top recruits on any consistent basis. Our two best coaches in history were retired dudes who happened to be recruiting magnets because of their former careers at big football schools. Now we don't have the money that has elevated teams like Ole Miss and we're leaking talent as a result. In the past, we could develop teams and have a Junior/Senior-led team which could make some noise. That's gone too because of the new system.

The idea that "Beamer better...blah blah blah" is just noise. He is doing about as well as could be expected with our position in the SEC pecking order and this stupid NIL- portal setup. We'll probably let him go in another couple of years and then we can replace his name with another with our ever-rhetorical complaints about the state of the football program.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
Will a sub-.500 conference record be acceptable in a coaches 4th season? Something to think about.
Well, I think it's all a matter of perspective.

When you have a 127-206-5 (38.3%) SEC Football record and the SEC just paid you $51.3 Million Dollars for being a Punching Bag in 2022-2023 ... are we Bragging or Complaining?

Only a few years ago, we called it Prostitution. Now we call it Sex Industry Workers. Whatever you prefer to call it doesn't really matter. WE ALL totally understand what IS NOW acceptable.

It's just that putting Lipstick & Pearls on a Pig doesn't really change things, does it?

Ole Miss and Missouri have both benefitted from the NIL. We haven't. I would have much rather had Lloyd, Bell, Burch, Wells, etc. and a Blake Mitchell or Steven Thompson caliber QB than what we had last season. We were far too one-dimensional on offense and a good part of that had to do with losing players to the NIL.

This has been discussed in the past but we are in a difficult position with football in the SEC. We aren't in an attractive location or have the history. We've never brought in top recruits on any consistent basis. Our two best coaches in history were retired dudes who happened to be recruiting magnets because of their former careers at big football schools. Now we don't have the money that has elevated teams like Ole Miss and we're leaking talent as a result. In the past, we could develop teams and have a Junior/Senior-led team which could make some noise. That's gone too because of the new system.

The idea that "Beamer better...blah blah blah" is just noise. He is doing about as well as could be expected with our position in the SEC pecking order and this stupid NIL- portal setup. We'll probably let him go in another couple of years and then we can replace his name with another with our ever-rhetorical complaints about the state of the football program.
Looking at the recruiting rankings above for the past 3 years, it shows from 2022-24:
SC finishing 26, 17 and 30
Ole Miss 37, 29 and 21
Missouri 13, 33 and 22

As I said before, those 2 programs are not heads and shoulders above us talent-wise. Coaching-wise....we shall see.

And we get them both at home this coming season. And we get Texas A&M at home where we beat them 2 years ago. And though we go to Kentucky, we beat them up there 2 years ago. If we win 3 of those 4, along with Vandy, there is the 4-4 conference record.

Last edited:
Well, I think it's all a matter of perspective.

When you have a 127-206-5 (38.3%) SEC Football record and the SEC just paid you $51.3 Million Dollars for being a Punching Bag in 2022-2023 ... are we Bragging or Complaining?

Only a few years ago, we called it Prostitution. Now we call it Sex Industry Workers. Whatever you prefer to call it doesn't really matter. WE ALL totally understand what IS NOW acceptable.

It's just that putting Lipstick & Pearls on a Pig doesn't really change things, does it?
I hope that we did not more than double Beamer's pay last year so that he could just say "oink". But to paraphrase Art Linkletter, "kids do the darndest things".

Looking at the recruiting rankings above for the past 3 years, it shows from 2022-24:
SC finishing 26, 17 and 30
Ole Miss 37, 29 and 21
Missouri 13, 33 and 22

As I said before, those 2 programs are not heads and shoulders above us talent-wise. Coaching-wise....we shall see.

And we get them both at home this coming season. And we get Texas A&M at home where we beat them 2 years ago. And though we go to Kentucky, we beat them up there 2 years ago. If we win 3 of those 4, along with Vandy, there is the 4-4 conference record.
Now do the players we're losing at the end of each season.

Missouri and Ole Miss don't have a big hole in their boat.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ves-mizzou-advantage-amid-evolving-landscape/

Now do the players we're losing at the end of each season.

Missouri and Ole Miss don't have a big hole in their boat.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ves-mizzou-advantage-amid-evolving-landscape/
The more one can put into NIL, the better. But even then, the talent gap between us and Missouri is not great. Did Missouri have better talent when they demolished Tennessee last year? Did Missouri have better talent when they beat Ohio State last year? The answer to both questions is "NO". But, they had better "coaching".

The more one can put into NIL, the better. But even then, the talent gap between us and Missouri is not great. Did Missouri have better talent when they demolished Tennessee last year? Did Missouri have better talent when they beat Ohio State last year? The answer to both questions is "NO". But, they had better "coaching".
MIssouri and Ole Miss are not having their top talent walk out the door each year and are spending far more than us in the NIL. Missouri just received a $60 million contribution to the cause. Coaching can't replace that.

MIssouri and Ole Miss are not having their top talent walk out the door each year and are spending far more than us in the NIL. Missouri just received a $60 million contribution to the cause. Coaching can't replace that.
Neither are Ohio State and Tennessee having their best talent leave each year. Yet Missouri beat them both.

Neither are Ohio State and Tennessee having their best talent leave each year. Yet Missouri beat them both.
What does this have to do with us? We beat a better UT and Clemson teams back to back. Missouri and Ole Miss have surged since the NIL and no wait portal went mainstream. They get publicity regularly on the topic. We do not.

What that has to do with us is that player-talent is not the end all. To throw up the white flag when we play Missouri and Ole Miss next year is crazy. You just cited 2 examples. Does anyone think we had better talent than Clemson and UT that year? We have not done bad in recruiting and the portal since NIL except in the portal the year before last (don't know what Beamer was doing then). But for 2 of the past 3 years, we have done very good in the portal. I'm not sure what publicity Missouri was getting before this past season. In fact, Drinkwitz was on the "hot seat" with their fan base coming into the 2023 season. Overall, we have been very competitive with Missouri and Ole Miss in recruiting the past 3 years. Missouri and Ole Miss are not at Georgia's level in player talent. Not even close.

Last edited:
What does this have to do with us? We beat a better UT and Clemson teams back to back. Missouri and Ole Miss have surged since the NIL and no wait portal went mainstream. They get publicity regularly on the topic. We do not.
Responded to you just above.

What that has to do with us is that player-talent is not the end all. To throw up the white flag when we play Missouri and Ole Miss next year is crazy. You just cited 2 examples. Does anyone think we had better talent than Clemson and UT that year? We have not done bad in recruiting and the portal since NIL except in the portal the year before last (don't know what Beamer was doing then). But for 2 of the past 3 years, we have done very good in the portal. I'm not sure what publicity Missouri was getting before this past season. In fact, Drinkwitz was on the "hot seat" with their fan base coming into the 2023 season. Overall, we have been very competitive with Missouri and Ole Miss in recruiting the past 3 years. Missouri and Ole Miss are not at Georgia's level in player talent. Not even close.
You're still not considering the fact we're losing some of our best players each year. Ole Miss and Missouri aren't having this issue. It's a very big deal.

You're still not considering the fact we're losing some of our best players each year. Ole Miss and Missouri aren't having this issue. It's a very big deal.
Honestly, I don't keep up with either and am not going to take the time to find out what they have lost, if they have lost anyone. Certainly retention/attrition can make a difference. It's easy and quick to look up recruiting rankings. But if recruiting rankings say anything, they say we have a chance against both of them. And that's especially true at home. I think we have a better chance against them at home than we do against LSU at home. But I don't know what LSU has lost or not lost either. All that being said, the above poster brought up 2 good examples: our games against UT and clemson in 2022. We beat them both (and really had no business beating them if only player talent was considered). And supposedly, we have upgraded the coaching staff since 2022. So why not beat Ole Miss, Missouri, Tam and UK this season? I for one don't believe that Beamer has done a bad job recruiting. And I for one think we have a great chance to win at least 3 of those games. If we could beat UT and clemson in 2022, why not?

Honestly, I don't keep up with either and am not going to take the time to find out what they have lost, if they have lost anyone. Certainly retention/attrition can make a difference. It's easy and quick to look up recruiting rankings. But if recruiting rankings say anything, they say we have a chance against both of them. And that's especially true at home. I think we have a better chance against them at home than we do against LSU at home. But I don't know what LSU has lost or not lost either. All that being said, the above poster brought up 2 good examples: our games against UT and clemson in 2022. We beat them both (and really had no business beating them if only player talent was considered). And supposedly, we have upgraded the coaching staff since 2022. So why not beat Ole Miss, Missouri, Tam and UK this season? I for one don't believe that Beamer has done a bad job recruiting. And I for one think we have a great chance to win at least 3 of those games. If we could beat UT and clemson in 2022, why not?
Because the other teams have more talent and better coaches. 2022 was not the norm. Have you forgotten 5-7 with a veteran quarterback and 1st round wide receiver? Are you selling season tickets? Must be your first year.

Because the other teams have more talent and better coaches. 2022 was not the norm. Have you forgotten 5-7 with a veteran quarterback and 1st round wide receiver? Are you selling season tickets? Must be your first year.
Just for the record, I was very much opposed to hiring Beamer. And I'm still not sold on him. That being said, I suspect we are going to surprise people this coming season, proving me wrong in opposing his hire. It's important to his Head Coaching career that he show progress this coming season. He knows that as indicated by the several changes on staff. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Ole Miss and Mizzou are interesting subjects.

Someone tried to quantify overall "talent" on teams by adding up number of stars.

While not exact, it is interesting in that we ranked 22nd, Ole miss 23rd and Missouri 25th last year.

Basically, it's hard to quantify, but this shows our talent level as at least comparable to these teams last year. (We actually beat them both on this scale going back years as well)

Now, only a select few trolls will argue that coaching means nothing, but the impact of coaching can be debatable. Can a level of coaching overcome some talent gaps, etc.

But these examples show me that coaching can take similarly talented teams to very different results.

Reactions: gamecock stock
coaching can take similarly talented teams to very different results.
That is correct. No one denies that recruiting is important. And yes, NIL money is important. But even with the NIL disadvantage, we are primarily on par with Missouri and Ole Miss in player talent. I credit Beamer for that. But now, he has to show what he can do with that talent in his 4th season. In Drinkwitz' 4th season, he made Missouri into a Top 10 team, as did Kiffin in his 4th season at Ole Miss. Now, I'm not saying we have a good chance of beating Alabama and Oklahoma on the road. But our player talent plus the home field advantage give us a great chance to beat Missouri, Ole Miss and Texas A&M. And our player talent gives us a great chance to beat Kentucky on the road. If a game is a "coin toss", good coaching can make the difference. I'm not saying that we should expect a Top 10 season in Beamer's 4th season. BUT, if Beamer's 4th season turns out to be mediocre as last season was, then Beamer has some explaining to do, imho.

Reactions: Lurker123
That is correct. No one denies that recruiting is important. And yes, NIL money is important. But even with the NIL disadvantage, we are primarily on par with Missouri and Ole Miss in player talent. I credit Beamer for that. But now, he has to show what he can do with that talent in his 4th season. In Drinkwitz' 4th season, he made Missouri into a Top 10 team, as did Kiffin in his 4th season at Ole Miss. Now, I'm not saying we have a good chance of beating Alabama and Oklahoma on the road. But our player talent plus the home field advantage give us a great chance to beat Missouri, Ole Miss and Texas A&M. And our player talent gives us a great chance to beat Kentucky on the road. If a game is a "coin toss", good coaching can make the difference. I'm not saying that we should expect a Top 10 season in Beamer's 4th season. BUT, if Beamer's 4th season turns out to be mediocre as last season was, then Beamer has some explaining to do, imho.
No one wanted Beamer as a head coach when we hired him and if things don't work out (I really hope they do but I'm not sold) then no one will want him ever as a head coach and we'll be another five years behind. We have an AD that had no business making Shane's hire or any other football hire after the Muschamp fiasco but as usual our university gave Ray another contract extension after 12 years of diminishing men's major sports and giving us the special title of being a "strictly elite women's basketball school". Ray keeps a tight budget though (woohoo) and the rich BOT just gets richer on his watch so he could sign a lifetime contract for all they care.

Please explain how we're on par with Ole Miss and Missouri in talent as of today. I see both of those teams bragging about their NIL programs and their talent isn't exiting at season's end. Recruiting figures are only one part of the story with the new system around.

Also, Beamer has beaten teams with better talent. As mentioned many times before, the challenge is sustaining it over multiple seasons.

Please explain how we're on par with Ole Miss and Missouri in talent as of today. I see both of those teams bragging about their NIL programs and their talent isn't exiting at season's end. Recruiting figures are only one part of the story with the new system around.

Also, Beamer has beaten teams with better talent. As mentioned many times before, the challenge is sustaining it over multiple seasons.

I supplied a link to a site that tries go quantify the talent on hand for schools. It wasn't a compilation of recruiting rankings, but an attempt at counting straight up the number of 5,4 and 3 stars on a team that year.

By that standard, we out-talented Ole Miss and Missouri for the past few years. 2024 is not released yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT