ADVERTISEMENT

It's basketball season. Lets talk Colonial Life Arena.

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
It is past time USC drop some major bucks on the CLA. Next year is its 20th anniversary. USC has woefully under-invested in both mens and women's basketball. So many on this board complain about the venue, mostly it being too large. I don't really agree. I think its a nice facility that has the potential of being top notch. It is also the City of Columbia's concert venue so more seats makes sense and revenue from those large shows helps run the place year round. Also, successful mens and women's teams I believe could consistently draw 14-15K for SEC games and marquis OOC games.

Still I think at least one or both upper decks could be reconfigured in a way that would reduce capacity (to maybe 15-16K) and provide some new, innovate spaces that modern fans want and would enjoy.

Check out the link below for what UT is planning for Neyland Stadium. They are basically removing part of one of the end zone upper decks to create a nice fan club space and giant video board. Looks smart to me. UF is also doing a project that would lower capacity at their stadium.

I think a project like would be a nice upgrade for CLA and still leave us with enough capacity to accommodate large basketball crowds and concerts.

Also, notice this is a whopping $340 million project at UT. Also read where Ole Miss is getting ready to announce a project to spend $250 million on their stadium and $35 million on their football ops center. The defense that is heard often on this board for Tanner that at least he is a good fund raiser is nonsense. He is not.

There is no doubt a move to smaller venues is popular, as we have seen particularly in major league baseball. Much of the action geared toward improving the fan experience will be in technology. This Deloitte article outlines some of the ideas being kicked around for sports venues.

While I have been a west upper person most of my gc club life, this year I have sat in the Cockaboose club and Traditions club areas. I would describe those as nice pregame hanouts; I like the outdoor areas described in the Neyland example better.

Reactions: cockymom2boys
The biggest problem is the construction of the arena itself. I have had great tickets in the lower deck and still felt a half mile away from the court. At the old Carolina Coliseum you could be near the top and feel like you were close to the court.

I never have warmed up to the Colonial Life Arena. If I could get the old Coliseum back for basketball I would do it in a heartbeat. The only thing I like about the CLA is that it has attracted larger events to the area such as the NCAA Tournament and big time concerts.

The biggest problem is the construction of the arena itself. I have had great tickets in the lower deck and still felt a half mile away from the court. At the old Carolina Coliseum you could be near the top and feel like you were close to the court.

I never have warmed up to the Colonial Life Arena. If I could get the old Coliseum back for basketball I would do it in a heartbeat. The only thing I like about the CLA is that it has attracted larger events to the area such as the NCAA Tournament and big time concerts.
People that have this historical affinity for the old Coliseum will never be happy with CLA. I get it. Its where we played when I was in school. But, in today's standards, it is a dump. It is not even an appropriate practice venue. It needs to be imploded and the university develop that land for modern use. Also, the bball teams deserve top shelf practice and team facilities.

USC can do a lot right with CLA if they are ready to finally invest in the basketball program.

People that have this historical affinity for the old Coliseum will never be happy with CLA. I get it. Its where we played when I was in school. But, in today's standards, it is a dump. It is not even an appropriate practice venue. It needs to be imploded and the university develop that land for modern use. Also, the bball teams deserve top shelf practice and team facilities.

USC can do a lot right with CLA if they are ready to finally invest in the basketball program.
That last sentence says it all... "if" is a mighty big word.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
It is past time USC drop some major bucks on the CLA. Next year is its 20th anniversary. USC has woefully under-invested in both mens and women's basketball. So many on this board complain about the venue, mostly it being too large. I don't really agree. I think its a nice facility that has the potential of being top notch. It is also the City of Columbia's concert venue so more seats makes sense and revenue from those large shows helps run the place year round. Also, successful mens and women's teams I believe could consistently draw 14-15K for SEC games and marquis OOC games.

Still I think at least one or both upper decks could be reconfigured in a way that would reduce capacity (to maybe 15-16K) and provide some new, innovate spaces that modern fans want and would enjoy.

Check out the link below for what UT is planning for Neyland Stadium. They are basically removing part of one of the end zone upper decks to create a nice fan club space and giant video board. Looks smart to me. UF is also doing a project that would lower capacity at their stadium.

I think a project like would be a nice upgrade for CLA and still leave us with enough capacity to accommodate large basketball crowds and concerts.

Also, notice this is a whopping $340 million project at UT. Also read where Ole Miss is getting ready to announce a project to spend $250 million on their stadium and $35 million on their football ops center. The defense that is heard often on this board for Tanner that at least he is a good fund raiser is nonsense. He is not.

State Farm Arena in Atlanta has some cool restaurant concepts that are in the upper deck - it would be cool to see at CLA. Definitely more interesting than empty seats. And when it is full, you won't miss the seats when you have amenities that are next level.

THE CLA should have an agreement with a nice, well known restaurant whereby some students from the hospitality side of the school can intern at that is open to the general public.

This would take some renovation of the interior but would be worth it.

I know it's a major league park but my wife and I ate at the Brewers facility at their restaurant there when I was there on business. The team wasn't in town but the restaurant was fairly busy.

THIS! ^^^^^^^^

THE CLA should have an agreement with a nice, well known restaurant whereby some students from the hospitality side of the school can intern at that is open to the general public.

I know it's a major league park but my wife and I ate at the Brewers facility at their restaurant there when I was there on business. The team wasn't in town but the restaurant was fairly busy.
We had something similar to that with the faculty dining hall on the Horseshoe. That's also how TOSU operates its on-campus hotel as a non-profit educational program....all those who work in it are professors and students in their tourism and hospitallity program.

I just hate the way the seats are configured. Too far from the court, I think. The concourse and general area are great. It looks terrible on tv even when there is 8000 people. I used to love USC bball. I still do a bit, but the constant turnover has worn me down.

Last night I was at the womens' game at NC State. Its the Valvano Arena at Reynold's Coliseum (or something like that). I think it seats around 5k. Very intimate and intense environment. To me basketball is kinda opposite of football. The smaller the venue and the closer the fans; the more intimidating to opposing teams. If you're ever been lucky enough to see a game at Cameron Indoor (I have), you can really see what I mean.

We got a survey last year about them putting in a restaurant in WB that would be open year round but that’s the last I heard of it.

We had something similar to that with the faculty dining hall on the Horseshoe. That's also how TOSU operates its on-campus hotel as a non-profit educational program....all those who work in it are professors and students in their tourism and hospitallity program.
USC has similar hotel set up with the Inn at USC. I think students do some of the work there.

Reactions: rogue cock

Finally invest? Do you see the money they pay both coaches? When full the CLA is a good venue. If the men's team was more competitive, more people would attend.

Finally invest? Do you see the money they pay both coaches? When full the CLA is a good venue. If the men's team was more competitive, more people would attend.
Yes. Invest in the program is much more than coaches salary. When was the last time any significant dollars were spent on basketball facilities? And no, a new scoreboard and some vinyl banners to hang in an old, 50+ year old arena used as the practice facility is not a major investment. Just in the last few years in our own conference we have seen:

Georgia - $20 million reno in 2017
Florida - $65 million reno in 2016
Ole Miss - opened a new $96 million arena in 2016
Kentucky - did $16 million in renovation in 2015
Alabama - planned to do major reno to their arena but now is looking at building a new facility

And lets not forget Clempson spent $63 million on renovations that opened in 2016.

And, Dawn Staley earns every penny she is paid. Frank Martin, well thats another story.

Have you ever been to a game at Cameron? If you have, you know that restrooms and concessions don't mean a damn thing. That place makes the Coliseum look palatial by comparison. But if you walk into Cameron and witness the history of the place, the banners, the aura, and your pulse doesn't quicken just a bit, you're probably more a fan of nachos and craft hot dogs than than you are of college basketball.

Last edited:
Have you ever been to a game at Cameron? If you have, you know that restrooms and concessions don't mean a damn thing. That place makes the Coliseum look palatial by comparison. But if you walk into Cameron and witness the history of the place, the banners, the aura, and your pulse doesn't quicken just a bit, you're probably more a fan of nachos and craft hot dogs than than you are college basketball.
Well, let me see here.....i am not sure but I am thinking that Duke having 5 national titles, 16 Final Fours, 21 conference championships and 11 National Players of the Year has much to do with any aura present in this 80+ year old facility.

Also, arena nachos with fake cheese are gross.

Well, let me see here.....i am not sure but I am thinking that Duke having 5 national titles, 16 Final Fours, 21 conference championships and 11 National Players of the Year has much to do with any aura present in this 80+ year old facility.

Also, arena nachos with fake cheese are gross.
Totally get it. The. programs are apples and oranges. But your argument essentially was that the Coliseum was an unfit venue because it is old. That's just not the case, as Cameron proves.

And I share your sentiments around nachos with fake cheese. Although I am a sucker for a good chili dog.

I don't have a historical affinity for the old Coliseum, but I liked it because the seats were right on top of the court and it was an extremely hostile and loud environment for opposing teams. I like the increased size of the CLA, but since it was built to accommodate hockey, the basketball configuration puts fans further from the court.

But, it's a fine enough facility. If we ever have a good team, we will be glad we have all those seats.

For the amount of money spent on the CLA, the Carolina Coliseum could have been renovated. The Taters have done as much with their “Little John”

The CLA will never be a great basketball arena bc it’s built as a multipurpose arena. Even when we are good and it’s packed it can’t change the fact that the seats are just too far away from the court. It’s like playing basketball in a football stadium.

It’s really not about being stuck on the old. I do love the old Coliseum but a new arena isn’t necessarily bad if it’s a good one. We have a 20 year old arena that has the looks and feels of a Wal Mart most nights….

Reactions: caughtlookin
Yes. Invest in the program is much more than coaches salary. When was the last time any significant dollars were spent on basketball facilities? And no, a new scoreboard and some vinyl banners to hang in an old, 50+ year old arena used as the practice facility is not a major investment. Just in the last few years in our own conference we have seen:

Georgia - $20 million reno in 2017
Florida - $65 million reno in 2016
Ole Miss - opened a new $96 million arena in 2016
Kentucky - did $16 million in renovation in 2015
Alabama - planned to do major reno to their arena but now is looking at building a new facility

And lets not forget Clempson spent $63 million on renovations that opened in 2016.

And, Dawn Staley earns every penny she is paid. Frank Martin, well thats another story.
It’s also worth noting that all the above schools renovated existing venues as opposed to building new arenas.

I mis the Frank……designed by a coach, not by some engineer who just wants to add seating.

It’s also worth noting that all the above schools renovated existing venues as opposed to building new arenas.
Ol

Ole Miss and Auburn built new arenas. Looks like Alabama is now considering the same.

Totally get it. The. programs are apples and oranges. But your argument essentially was that the Coliseum was an unfit venue because it is old. That's just not the case, as Cameron proves.

And I share your sentiments around nachos with fake cheese. Although I am a sucker for a good chili dog.
I think any nachos that don't have chili and jalapenos available are DOA.

Why would you want to downsize an arena that the women sell out? I don't think Staley would appreciate that. The Coliseum was great in it's day and became run down and unusable as an arena. So they used it as classrooms and then made a practice area and offices for both the coaches for BB.

Duke wins and Cameron continues, but it really is a dump. I've been there. The old NC State arena
( Reynolds?) was also a dump, but they did build a new one.

I've been to numerous games at CLA and the experience is nothing like the old McGuire arena on Assembly. It needs to be reconfigured, but I get the feeling that this AD is not really interested in basketball.

Stadiums are becoming obsolete. No reason to spend that kind of money. Plus you are the only person who doesn't think Tanner has been a good fundraiser. Once again, find another team to pull for. Obviously you continue to be unhappy here.

Stadiums are becoming obsolete. No reason to spend that kind of money. Plus you are the only person who doesn't think Tanner has been a good fundraiser. Once again, find another team to pull for. Obviously you continue to be unhappy here.
If you think I am the only one on this board that thinks Tanner is not doing a good job you have been asleep for 10 years.

For someone to be a good fund raiser, they actually have to raise funds from private donors. Please give me examples of projects completed under Tanner's tenure that were funded by a private donor(s)? And no, the Long Football Operations Center is not an example of that. While its budget included private donations for naming rights, it was mostly financed with athletic revenues and financing. The Tanner way with these projects has been to sell off naming rights to parts of facilities to finance a small % of the project while most of the budget for it is covered by AD revenues and borrowing.

Your statement is also a good example of why Carolina continues to wallow in mediocrity. For fans like you, any time any of us dare question what is going on or dare to be critical of decisions, we are termed the wrong kind of fan that should find another team.

Keep making excuses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT