ADVERTISEMENT

It's ok guys, he loves his home state so much

He basically turned his back on his home state to do what he thought was in his best personal interest. Who can blame him for that? It happens all the time. I wish him great success in college (when he is not playing USC) and in a pro basketball career!

He basically turned his back on his home state to do what he thought was in his best personal interest. Who can blame him for that? It happens all the time. I wish him great success in college (when he is not playing USC) and in a pro basketball career!
I hope he moves to NC permanently. That's where he belongs. He certainly isn't a South Carolinian.

oprhc.gif

It's fine he picked Duke. He should have just left out the statement at the end. I'm still representing my State. No, you are representing the State of NC and Duke. You aren't representing SC and USC or Clempson. Pretty stupid comment by him. I agree with the original poster. Has nothing to do with his choice. Just a dumb comment. This was more a slap in the face to Clempson. 99 pct of fans, the media, and national projections said Clempson was a done deal.

It's fine he picked Duke. He should have just left out the statement at the end. I'm still representing my State. No, you are representing the State of NC and Duke. You aren't representing SC and USC or Clempson. Pretty stupid comment by him. I agree with the original poster. Has nothing to do with his choice. Just a dumb comment. This was more a slap in the face to Clempson. 99 pct of fans, the media, and national projections said Clempson was a done deal.
Tell me he didn’t really say that...that he would be repping his state.

Reactions: CockIN73
He loves his state. That's pretty funny. He loves his state so much that he strings both schools along and then holds a big press conference just to punk both of them.

He really is the next LeBron.
It's called recruiting. And he held a press conference because he's the #2 recruit in the country.

At the end of the day you can't blame the young man for making this decision. On paper it seems like a surefire way to follow a dream to one day play in the NBA. You can tell on his face that the love (and pressure) he received from the instate schools made it a difficult decision, but felt Duke was the safest bet .

Watching the press conference, his step dad would have loved for Zion to commit to an instate school. His step dad understood that committing to an instate school would have essentially meant an easy retirement for he and his wife, along with a king's welcome back and a home at whichever instate school for Zion (and HIS family) once his basketball playing days were over. Not to mention a key to the city. Ultimately like any good father would, he understood that the decision was up to the young man, and supported any decision Zion makes.

It was also obvious that mom wanted to ensure that his (and their) future financially was secure. She knew Duke to be a good school academically (Although Zion would likely have to come back to finish his degree). She also knew every word of Zion's written statement, and had a significant say in his decision on her special day. ("Like mama says...").

Coach K and staff reassured him that he would forever be a part of the brotherhood that is at Duke University. You could tell that resonated with him. You could tell they sold them that having other top players to play with would ensure that he would not necessarily have to carry the weight of being "the man" on his shoulders, face double/triple teams every night, and coming to Duke would ensure an easy path for all players committed. If you remember our final four run last year, there were rumbles then that Zion was likely headed to Duke. Seemed to have gotten lost as time passed.

Ultimately some players choose to blaze their own path, other's choose to follow a path that is already laid out.

Don’t have a problem with it. And to be honest, just relieved he didn’t pick Clemson. Should be fun to listen to them crying on the radio Monday. Zion felt like Duke was in his best interest. Can’t fault that. Duke is as good as it gets in college basketball. Not disappointed as I never really felt like USC was a serious player in this deal anyway. Figure he was just entertaining USC, and apparently Clemson, because they were the major schools in his state.

Reactions: USCLaw85
Zion looks to be a helluva player but I suspect that he is going to get slapped in the face by big time college basketball....I supposed having that happen during practice at Duke with their cast of the best players in basketball next year instead of on national TV will be better for him. Let's be honest his level of competition has been BELOW SC single A ball and frankly some of the home school kids from the upstate were scoring 30pts a game on Shannon Forest, and other of those schools, etc.

His very first real test of his ability will be how he handles having to learn to play real basketball against equally talented players where not every point is a tomahawk dunk against a skinny 6-1 white boy center. I hear he is a good kid so perhaps his ego will not be destroyed and he can do it....I highly doubt he is a true one-and-done going from below 1A Spartanburg Country Day to taking on Labron James in August of the 2019.

At the end of the day you can't blame the young man for making this decision. On paper it seems like a surefire way to follow a dream to one day play in the NBA. You can tell on his face that the love (and pressure) he received from the instate schools made it a difficult decision, but felt Duke was the safest bet .

Watching the press conference, his step dad would have loved for Zion to commit to an instate school. His step dad understood that committing to an instate school would have essentially meant an easy retirement for he and his wife, along with a king's welcome back and a home at whichever instate school for Zion (and HIS family) once his basketball playing days were over. Not to mention a key to the city. Ultimately like any good father would, he understood that the decision was up to the young man, and supported any decision Zion makes.

It was also obvious that mom wanted to ensure that his (and their) future financially was secure. She knew Duke to be a good school academically (Although Zion would likely have to come back to finish his degree). She also knew every word of Zion's written statement, and had a significant say in his decision on her special day. ("Like mama says...").

Coach K and staff reassured him that he would forever be a part of the brotherhood that is at Duke University. You could tell that resonated with him. You could tell they sold them that having other top players to play with would ensure that he would not necessarily have to carry the weight of being "the man" on his shoulders, face double/triple teams every night, and coming to Duke would ensure an easy path for all players committed. If you remember our final four run last year, there were rumbles then that Zion was likely headed to Duke. Seemed to have gotten lost as time passed.

Ultimately some players choose to blaze their own path, other's choose to follow a path that is already laid out.

Why don't you just go and recruit for dook.

Yes, he did. He thanked both schools for recruiting him and the people of South Carolina. Then said, I quote " I will still be representing my State."
Poor choice of words, but so what?

When you choose the home school you get to come back and choose your path for the rest of your life.
Marcus Lattimore is a great example.
At Duke he will be forgotten by most of the fans in 10 years.

Zion looks to be a helluva player but I suspect that he is going to get slapped in the face by big time college basketball....I supposed having that happen during practice at Duke with their cast of the best players in basketball next year instead of on national TV will be better for him. Let's be honest his level of competition has been BELOW SC single A ball and frankly some of the home school kids from the upstate were scoring 30pts a game on Shannon Forest, and other of those schools, etc.

His very first real test of his ability will be how he handles having to learn to play real basketball against equally talented players where not every point is a tomahawk dunk against a skinny 6-1 white boy center. I hear he is a good kid so perhaps his ego will not be destroyed and he can do it....I highly doubt he is a true one-and-done going from below 1A Spartanburg Country Day to taking on Labron James in August of the 2019.
Agree. I’ve been saying this all alone. I think he is a good player but nothing I have seen impresses me the way he has been hyped.

Yes, he did. He thanked both schools for recruiting him and the people of South Carolina. Then said, I quote " I will still be representing my State."
He is repping his state alright, by getting out as soon as he possibly could. Soon he may be repping Miami, Cleveland or LA for some really big bucks!

Who can blame him for choosing a one and done factory, where he will fit in as just another mega talented player without inordinate personal pressure to carry the team?

Yes, he played Carolina and Clemson, the in state schools, who were looking for a big boost to their programs from the talented, in state player. But, Zion did not create the system that anoints the boy king athletes. He is entitled to enjoy his year of being recruited, even while the in state schools made themselves look rather foolish.

I hope he has good advisers around him that will help him make good decisions regarding money, personal choices etc., to set himself and his family up for life, during and after basketball.

He has pretty much cut ties with his state.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Coup Nazi
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT