ADVERTISEMENT

I've been anti-Holbrook since 2014. I need someone who is pro-Holbrook to try to convince me....

I don't follow baseball as closely as other sports but from everything I'm hearing, we have a very young team that is only going to get better. If we're so young and still having success I don't see a need to pull the plug on him just yet. As another poster stated, we got spoiled the last few years with Tanner. It's hard to keep playing at that level on a yearly basis.

That is why every one hated Calvi. He was a terrible pitching coach.
Yeah....the decisions in 2010 to make Matt Price the closer during the season and to start Michael Roth in the CWS against Clemson really "backfired" on us...didn't it?

Last edited:
For the most part, Calvi's pitching staffs under performed. However, I do think a lot of that came down to injuries and attrition. Calvi recruited some great players that never made it on campus because of the draft, and of the ones that did, there were numerous Tommy John's surgeries and the torn labrum for Brad Hocking was a killer.

If you have one Friday starter go down, you're pitching your Saturday guy against everyone's ace, the Sunday guy against their Saturday, and a midweek guy on Sunday. You can't make excuses, because injuries are part of the game, but I do believe Calvi had some bad luck.

Reactions: uscbeckham
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT