ADVERTISEMENT

Ivy League Preparing Two Options for Football: (1) Play Only the Seven Conference Games in the Fall;

Mar 14, 2007
They were the first to cancel their basketball tourney. D3 has already cancelled football also.

The plan has two options, one of which is more radical than the other.

The first would be to open the 2020 season in late September with a 7-game schedule comprised of only conference opponents.
The second plan, which is gaining momentum because of the increasing number of positive Covid-19 cases in the country, would shut down football until next spring, with a start up (for practice) in March and another 7-game (conference opponents only) beginning in April and concluding in mid-May.

My guess for the first D1 program to cancel will be Hawaii. There is noway they are playing football. With the travel and the restrictions on people going to Hawaii. They open at Arizona. Just dont see anyway that happens. Things arent looking good.

https://www.si.com/college/tmg/mark-blaudschun/ivy-league-football?utm_source=reddit.com

Taking in consideration of where we are right now, it looks like the spring football schedule would be the most likely scenario, and not just for the Ivy League.
As for Hawaii, I would agree that it would be very likely they cancel a fall schedule. However, if that is the case that leaves everyone on their schedule either dropping other OOC opponents, or Mountain West opponents playing 1 less conference game.
There are no easy solutions here.

Reactions: SmokinStokesBBQ
There will be lots of discussion and one skipped season. Nothing else will change because it's just too darn complicated.

Taking in consideration of where we are right now, it looks like the spring football schedule would be the most likely scenario, and not just for the Ivy League.
As for Hawaii, I would agree that it would be very likely they cancel a fall schedule. However, if that is the case that leaves everyone on their schedule either dropping other OOC opponents, or Mountain West opponents playing 1 less conference game.
There are no easy solutions here.

Yea the safest thing to say I think currently is a normal football season is not going to happen. Some teams may play possibly but nothing close to a full season.

SEC Media days got postponed and that was all supposed to be online. The other conferences were in a holding pattern somewhat for theirs also waiting on the SEC. Everyone seems to be holding out a few more weeks but these numbers are just too big right now. We are running out of time. Less than 8 weeks away now until week zero.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT