ADVERTISEMENT

Jake Bentley and Dabo Sweeney?

SchmidtyNole

Feb 19, 2007
I got a kick out of the hell Clemson fans gave Jake Bentley when he said "I don't think they were that much better than us or even better at all." It did sound absurd for sure but is it really any different than Dabo Sweeney saying "If we played them 10 times, we'd win 5 and they'd win 5?" back in 2013. Lol!

I got one better than that. Listen to all the taters put down UNC for the NCAA violations and talk about their clean program. They should have got the death penalty before SMU
The reason clempson didn't get the death penalty is because it wasn't created until after all of the tater violations. They had to create a death penalty, because of all the things the taters had done, in order to keep other schools from going down that path.

Competitive people make bold pronouncements and always think that if you give them enough chances they will win their fair share. They are not predicting anything

that's not unique to bentley or Dabo

that is true for any athlete that is seriously competitive

A lot of fans and media people have never been in that position themselves and don't understand it

I can relate in the tennis world as when I was in college I was a pretty good tennis player and no matter who I played- even if they were a much better player than I was - I always thought I had a chance to win because I was confident in my game.

It didn't mean that i usually beat much better players but I always went into every match thinking I had a shot

I got a kick out of the hell Clemson fans gave Jake Bentley when he said "I don't think they were that much better than us or even better at all." It did sound absurd for sure but is it really any different than Dabo Sweeney saying "If we played them 10 times, we'd win 5 and they'd win 5?" back in 2013. Lol!

Competitive people make bold pronouncements and always think that if you give them enough chances they will win their fair share. They are not predicting anything

A lot of fans and media people have never been in that position themselves and don't understand it

I can relate in the tennis world as when I was in college I was a pretty good tennis player and no matter who I played- even if they were a much better player than I was - I always thought I had a chance to win because I was confident in my game.

It didn't mean that i usually beat much better players but I always went into every match thinking I had a shot
While I agree with you, that is definitely more something you should think rather than say. Bentley's Gamecocks lost 56-7 to Clemson in 2016 and Sweeney's Tigers lost 51-14 to the Noles back in 2013. When the game that actually happened wasn't even remotely competitive, then in the back of your mind you can think "You know I'd wish we had another crack at that team because I think we'd put together a much better performance the next time." But you shouldn't really verbalize the things Bentley and Sweeney did because it sounds absurd when people know the result of the game and even saw the game and how much of a mismatch it was. There is a fine line that players and coaches have to tread between giving the opponent due credit but still seeing the lesson and trying to improve from a poor performance. But I will say that we've all been there and said things that on its face sound ridiculous. My point of the OP was that Clemson fans should realize in their heckling of Bentley that Sweeney has also said something that is equally absurd.

While I agree with you, that is definitely more something you should think rather than say. Bentley's Gamecocks lost 56-7 to Clemson in 2016 and Sweeney's Tigers lost 51-14 to the Noles back in 2013. When the game that actually happened wasn't even remotely competitive, then in the back of your mind you can think "You know I'd wish we had another crack at that team because I think we'd put together a much better performance the next time." But you shouldn't really verbalize the things Bentley and Sweeney did because it sounds absurd when people know the result of the game and even saw the game and how much of a mismatch it was. There is a fine line that players and coaches have to tread between giving the opponent due credit but still seeing the lesson and trying to improve from a poor performance. But I will say that we've all been there and said things that on its face sound ridiculous. My point of the OP was that Clemson fans should realize in their heckling of Bentley that Sweeney has also said something that is equally absurd.

Yes. And Bentley has never went knuckle deep in a competitor like bull winkle either

Reactions: RoosterScooter
Ill never forget Danny Ford shaking hands after the NC st game with their coach and on camera said something like:

"Youre the SOB that turned me in"

I gotta give it up to Clemson though, go big or go home. They were buying players families houses, tractors, cars and my favorite of them all...bags of cash.

The reason clempson didn't get the death penalty is because it wasn't created until after all of the tater violations. They had to create a death penalty, because of all the things the taters had done, in order to keep other schools from going down that path.

I wrote the same exact post as you did several years ago and the house taters all but called me a liar, specially 4forCU. They truly didn't understand or made out like they didn't understand what I wrote. But, you are 100% correct. The rule should be appropriately named the quempsum death penalty rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: racetrac
I wrote the same exact post as you did several years ago and the house taters all but called me a liar, specially 4forCU. They truly didn't understand or made out like they didn't understand what I wrote. But, you are 100% correct. The rule should be appropriately named the quempsum death penalty rule.

Maybe you can repost to remind them.

Or Dabo ranting about us not being USC and Carolina the week after we beat them.

This is a young player with limited media experience, that was a experienced with the media, head coach guy talking premeditated all that smack and the supposed Christian purposely lied about the intent, saying it was in response to something Spurrier said when he knew he didn't say anything.

Last year's game snowballed, and they blew us out by a huge margin, were there 49 pts better, I dont think so.

If we played 10 times, the average would be much lower, is someone disputing that?

Once Hurst ran the wrong way on the punt and right into the only guy who could stop him from the first down on the fake punt, we kind of fell apart.

At the end game when the whistle blew Clemson no longer has Watson, Williams, Boulware, Legget, Watkins, Tankersley, Artvis Scott to NFL.

They will not play in future Clemson and South Carolina games, at the end of the game their eligibility expired

Given the departure of that talent at the end of the game, I agree with Jake Clemson at the end of the game Clemson was not better then us, in the context of moving forward into 2017 game.

” Bentley said in an interview with FOX Carolina. “We felt we got outworked. So our big thing is never again we will be outworked. Never again will be out-competed in a game like that. It all stems from that game. Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all. It really just lit a fire in everybody. Since that week, everyone has worked harder and wanted it more.”

Or Dabo ranting about us not being USC and Carolina the week after we beat them.

This is a young player with limited media experience, that was a experienced with the media, head coach guy talking premeditated all that smack and the supposed Christian purposely lied about the intent, saying it was in response to something Spurrier said when he knew he didn't say anything.

Last year's game snowballed, and they blew us out by a huge margin, were there 49 pts better, I dont think so.

If we played 10 times, the average would be much lower, is someone disputing that?

Once Hurst ran the wrong way on the punt and right into the only guy who could stop him from the first down on the fake punt, we kind of fell apart.

At the end game when the whistle blew Clemson no longer has Watson, Williams, Boulware, Legget, Watkins, Tankersley, Artvis Scott to NFL.

They will not play in future Clemson and South Carolina games, at the end of the game their eligibility expired

Given the departure of that talent at the end of the game, I agree with Jake Clemson at the end of the game Clemson was not better then us, in the context of moving forward into 2017 game.

” Bentley said in an interview with FOX Carolina. “We felt we got outworked. So our big thing is never again we will be outworked. Never again will be out-competed in a game like that. It all stems from that game. Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all. It really just lit a fire in everybody. Since that week, everyone has worked harder and wanted it more.”

If they had left their starters in, it would have likely been worse than 49 points. The talent gap was that wide.

Now, the gap should narrow this year. Stranger things have happened....maybe we will get the W.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Boulware after the game:

“It’s kind of like when you’ve got a little brother and your mom comes in the room and you’re playing your little PlayStation and your mom says, ‘Let your little brother play a little bit. Let him see what it feels like to win.’ We kind of gave them the controllers a little bit just so they know how to win,” Boulware said of USC winning five straight. “They don’t really win a lot. They’ve never been that good. We kind of let them feel, ‘OK, this is what it feels like to win.’ We got tired of that and snapped those controllers back. We proved it tonight. They’re the little brother.”

Boulware after the game:

“It’s kind of like when you’ve got a little brother and your mom comes in the room and you’re playing your little PlayStation and your mom says, ‘Let your little brother play a little bit. Let him see what it feels like to win.’ We kind of gave them the controllers a little bit just so they know how to win,” Boulware said of USC winning five straight. “They don’t really win a lot. They’ve never been that good. We kind of let them feel, ‘OK, this is what it feels like to win.’ We got tired of that and snapped those controllers back. We proved it tonight. They’re the little brother.”
I know the Clemson fans eat this up but he just came off as white trash to me. He was sort of a mascot for Clemson as in they knew or could see themselves on the field

I know the Clemson fans eat this up but he just came off as white trash to me. He was sort of a mascot for Clemson as in they knew or could see themselves on the field

They won the game I get it, I just think its strange that our board obsesses over our guys quote or what Clemson thinks of it and you never see this one or a bunch of others much more crass and derogatory in nature being analyzed by South Carolina fans.

clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson had a different analogy to describe the South Carolina-Clemson rivalry.

“On our end it’s like a daddy beating his son, giving his son a whooping,” he said. “We run this state. ... The longtime record since Game 1, it speaks for itself.”

Boulware after the game:

I like how the only person in America who thinks that Boulware can make he Panthers is Boulware himself. And he's about to face reality.

Boulware after the game:

Clemson has always been the most obnoxious winners of any team in football. One more no class statement from a no class player in a no class program. It all comes down to coaches.

...and Gallman.

If they had left their starters in, it would have likely been worse than 49 points. The talent gap was that wide.

Now, the gap should narrow this year. Stranger things have happened....maybe we will get the W.

It's a new year with new teams, so you never know what is going to happen. We lost to eventual national champion UF on the road 56-6 in 2008, but had a chance to beat them in Columbia the next year when we lost a close game 24-14. That was with Tebow coming back his last year. Watson is gone and the Gamecocks bring back a load of talent on offense and a new O-line coach. Not saying we beat them, but you never know. If our defense can actually improve in year 2 of the Muschamp system and the O-line makes progress under Wolford, then it could be a good year for us.

This was a lie the first time it was written on here and its still a lie today. The death penalty has been given out 5 times over the years. The first time was Kentucky basketball in the early 50s for gambling, points shaving, and playing ineligible players along with a few other things.

They were definitely better than us. We were embarrassed. Jake should have either admitted it, or STFU and move on. I suggest STFU...

Reactions: coolcock2001
They were definitely better than us. We were embarrassed. Jake should have either admitted it, or STFU and move on. I suggest STFU...

Yeah, he should of probably just said, the Clemson game from last year showed us how much work we have to do or something like that.

But i will defend my guy against taters and spin and spin!

Yeah, he should of probably just said, the Clemson game from last year showed us how much work we have to do or something like that.

But i will defend my guy against taters and spin and spin!
Absolutely. Just wish he would have thought about how much ridicule he was gonna bring on himself by saying that. I saw a cut up vid some tater did on youtube...brutal.

Reactions: Gradstudent
That's the funny part. Clempson fans were rushing to defend him and his 'checkin the oil' standards on the field and was simply solidifying the stereotypes of Clempson fans.

Boulware after the game:

Boulware will be a used car salesman in Anderson within the year

Both of them said something that was extremely questionable.
Let's hope Jake can keep the game this year as close at the FSU/ Clemson game was the year after Dabo made his comments.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay

I will dispute that's. It would not be much lower. they were that much better at every position. They dropped like 3 sure TD passes and put their backups in during the 3rd Qt.

And while the talent gap may have slightly narrowed this year at a few positions we are going to get beat down again this year. They are elite on DL and almost elite on the OL.

I'm too old for blind optimism and just face reality these days. It's gonna be a few years before we get the competitive with them again.

Damn. it's frustrating to so far fall so far after such a great run. Ugh.

clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson had a different analogy to describe the South Carolina-Clemson rivalry.

“On our end it’s like a daddy beating his son, giving his son a whooping,” he said. “We run this state. ... The longtime record since Game 1, it speaks for itself.”
But, my goodness, how dare any of ours say something like that about them - the world comes to an end! Talk about crybabies - it definitely doesn't work both ways for that entitled crowd, and what on earth did they do (a title over 35 years ago?) to deserve entitlement just because they obsess over a sport!

But, my goodness, how dare any of ours say something like that about them - the world comes to an end! Talk about crybabies - it definitely doesn't work both ways for that entitled crowd, and what on earth did they do (a title over 35 years ago?) to deserve entitlement just because they obsess over a sport!
You're on a Rivals board but you don't 'obsess over a sport'? We're all obsessed here!

No, true competitors do their talking on the field - not behind a microphone.

Reactions: RockThrillCock
You're on a Rivals board but you don't 'obsess over a sport'? We're all obsessed here!
Actually, I enjoy ALL of Carolina's sports' teams - not just football! They may "enjoy" their other sports but IMO they "obsess" over football!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT