ADVERTISEMENT

Jake Bentley: (Not) SEC Offensive Player of the Week

DarkCock

Jan 21, 2006

wtthll.gif

No matter how great Bentley played, we didn't win. That's the key here.

Devin White, linebacker from LSU, made the list and his team lost and his side of the ball gave up 74 points!

Probably penalized players from USC, UK,UF and UGA for playing out of conference competition. Stupid, no matter the reason.

Reactions: South Cack
The funny part is that is actually the reason he didn't get the award. It appears the SEC doesn't recognize out of conference games when determining players of the week.

This can’t be true. Pretty sure we’ve had guys win the award during a week against non-conference opponent.

Reactions: Cockopotamus
Jake needed a TD throw while getting off the bus because that defense wasn't stopping Clemson at all.

Oh. OK. They should change the name of the award to SEC Players of The Week Whose Teams Won
It is sold as THE indiviual player who put on the best performance. Right rename it the player who put on the best performance and his team won. Deebo wasn't shabby.

Reactions: DarkCock
Coach pointed out that no previous SEC qb has EVER passed for 500 yards against a top-five opponent. He said the awards have a lot to do with the logo you're wearing.

And Shurmur had 367 yards and 3 td's against a team with the same number of SEC wins this year as Jake's opponent has. (They won, I know).

Reactions: DarkCock
Hey, I never said that's the way they always do it. I'm saying that's how they ought to do it. That way, your better players keep playing after they've got their numbers if their teams are behind.

You ought to do what's best for the program. IMO, that means promoting your players and stressing the positive.

It works.

For example,

Mike Williams was ACC Receiver of the Week after Clemson lost to Pitt.

You ought to do what's best for the program. IMO, that means promoting your players and stressing the positive.

It works.

For example,

Mike Williams was ACC Receiver of the Week after Clemson lost to Pitt.

Hey, put the stats out there. But to the victor belong the spoils. Nobody needs to be taking bows when the team is losing. If he's that great, and losing, it just means he chose the wrong team.

Reactions: spook spook
He should have gotten player of the week.

And I think with this years QB class being as shallow as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if he left early for the draft.

Coach pointed out that no previous SEC qb has EVER passed for 500 yards against a top-five opponent. He said the awards have a lot to do with the logo you're wearing.

And Shurmur had 367 yards and 3 td's against a team with the same number of SEC wins this year as Jake's opponent has. (They won, I know).
Yeah, that was a pretty good zinger Muschamp threw out there. The reporter even asked him if wanted to drop the mic after that.

Yeah, that was a pretty good zinger Muschamp threw out there. The reporter even asked him if wanted to drop the mic after that.
While he might have been speaking the truth, that wasn't necessarily a smart thing to say. He's telling his skill recruits they'll get more favorable attention someplace else.

He should have gotten player of the week.

And I think with this years QB class being as shallow as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if he left early for the draft.
everybody seems mesmerized by this early draft thing which was dreamed by one of the hack writers for the local rag to sell papers.... if the guy has any sense, he'll be under center here next year--I some how think that there are multiple QBs to be in the PRO-draft next year. I could be wrong but I see 5 or 6 names mentioned fairly consistently.

Hey, put the stats out there. But to the victor belong the spoils. Nobody needs to be taking bows when the team is losing. If he's that great, and losing, it just means he chose the wrong team.
You have no business posting on a sports board. This is the most unintelligent and detrimental post of the year.

Reactions: section907
While he might have been speaking the truth, that wasn't necessarily a smart thing to say. He's telling his skill recruits they'll get more favorable attention someplace else.
Possibly. They might also see it as their coach sticking up for them. It might instill an "Us against the world" mentality. That approach worked for a certain team in the Upstate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT