ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy Foster

GC members/readers, I am doing some research into the early Bill Foster era, focused on Jimmy Foster and his life/career. I would be most grateful for the opportunity to chat with anyone who knew or knows Jimmy, including high school teammates/friends and particularly former USC teammates.

Please pm me at imcap14@gmail.com

Thanks in advance and Go Cocks!

Zam led the nation in scoring, much of it due to Jimmy's full-court passes

Zam led the nation in scoring, much of it due to Jimmy's full-court passes

Correct. After being primarily a role player in McGuire's system, Fredrick thrived during his senior season under Bill Foster. He was South Carolina's second national scoring champion. The first was Grady Wallace in 1957, who out dueled the great Wilt Chamberlain of Kansas for that title. That was also the season Chamberlain's Kansas team lost to Frank McGuire's UNC in the national championship game.

A couple of other interesting tidbits I found about the NCAA national scoring championship:

* South Carolina has two national scoring champions. Schools that have zero: Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, among other traditional powers. In fact, no other original member of the ACC has a single national scoring champion. Current members Virginia Tech and Miami have one apiece.

* Only two schools have four national scoring champions... Rhode Island and, wait for it... Furman University. Furman had four straight scoring champions from 1952-56 (Frank Selvy and Darell Floyd won twice each in consecutive seasons). This gave the State of South Carolina five straight national scoring champions when Grady Wallace won in 1957, the only state to achieve such a distinction.

Wiki - NCAA National Scoring Champions

Reactions: Gradstudent
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT