ADVERTISEMENT

OT: BOT Issues Continue

usccocksfan

Feb 5, 2003
Thoughts?

SC business magnate explains decision to resign from USC presidential search committee
BY LOU KENNEDY NOVEMBER 28, 2021 6:00 AM Lou Kennedy is CEO of Nephron Pharmaceuticals Corporation in West Columbia.

I remember being accepted to the University of South Carolina.

The pride that came with the acceptance letter was born out of the sacrifices my family made to afford me this life-changing opportunity. In the decades since, I have been proud to join my husband in offering the university unconditional support as fans and contributors. Carolina has been home. Until two weeks ago.

Let me tell you what happened. Earlier in the year, I was asked to be an advisory member of the presidential search committee. This represented a unique opportunity for the Carolina community – and that includes members of the board – to embrace the chance to consider candidates for this critical role, who reflect the diversity – of ideas, experience and background – that makes our state and university great. More than this, it was a chance for the search committee to restore trust in the selection and governance processes, both of which have been undermined by the actions of certain trustees over the last two years.

My sincere desire was to finish my service and recommend to the board a robust and diverse slate of candidates. But, unfortunately, based on the way the chairman of the board of trustees dismissed my presence as a “courtesy,” in front of all of my colleagues, I decided I could not finish. I resigned.

The way he behaved was an unwelcome throwback and completely unprofessional. To be honest, as the chairman wagged his finger at me, I felt as though the fix could be in: the chairman could wield disproportionately high power to select whomever he wanted, and keep the university in the same rut it seems to find itself time and again. So, for me, this has been the perfect opportunity to consider where we are and where we go from here.

Let’s look at the history. The laws and rules surrounding board governance are antiquated. It is time to give them a thoughtful and careful look. There is no question we made governance adjustments in the aftermath of the previous president’s onboarding. But it is time to work with the legislature to understand what else they – and reform-minded members of the Carolina community – can do to define this board not by popularity, length of service, legislative connections and long-windedness.

Instead, we need a board known for its fresh faces, fresh ideas, and, most importantly, merit to serve. Members should boast records of achievement in research and in the private sector, as well as in life, and possess the capacity to bring innovative and creative ideas from all professions to the board. One of the best initiatives the board could undertake is meeting students and faculty directly on their own turf. The board should engage them regularly about their concerns and vision for the university. Meeting them on their own turf does not just mean holding formal town hall forums where people feel stunted about what they can say; it means having a board that knows about the use of contemporary forms of communication, such as Twitter, SnapChat and Instagram.

While my experience on the committee represented a setback, I am optimistic about the future of our state to do the right thing – particularly by the students we are depending on to be future leaders – and in this context, I look forward to working with anyone who would like to chart a blazing path forward for the university, and make the university a place I am proud to call home again.

Lou Kennedy is CEO of Nephron Pharmaceuticals Corporation in West Columbia

Completely agree with her., except on one thing...I am npt confident in our state to do the right thing. They will fight to hang on to the good ole boy system.
You’re right about that. I do believe there are people that would like to see some change. It’s going to take the likes of her, and people like Darla Moore, to make the push. It’ll have to have some $$$ behind it for sure.

Completely agree with her., except on one thing...I am npt confident in our state to do the right thing. They will fight to hang on to the good ole boy system.

I love visiting SC but I don't think I will ever move back. It's almost like the State goes out of its way to make everything worse for its citizens.

That of course trickles down to the university. I stopped giving $$ years ago and seems unlikely that I ever will again. I still love my school and the relationships I built there. Just not much else there for me anymore.

I know it has always been this way. I just didn't understand it when I was younger.

I love visiting SC but I don't think I will ever move back. It's almost like the State goes out of its way to make everything worse for its citizens.

That of course trickles down to the university. I stopped giving $$ years ago and seems unlikely that I ever will again. I still love my school and the relationships I built there. Just not much else there for me anymore.

I know it has always been this way. I just didn't understand it when I was younger.
Agree....I still make a decent donation to the University annually, but in the past 5-10 years have been giving more to the University of Dayton School of Law. They seem to appreciate it more. I know its not much, but they send me birthday and Christmas cards every year....as well as a hand-written thanks for my gift. And when I took my wife and daughter by there when we went on a college tour, they gave us a guided tour of the "new" law school and treated us to lunch in the Faculty dining hall. It was just nice.

Take away the money and protest,then you will see changes. As with most everything,Talk with your wallet and watch the changes happen.

I gave them an endowment but they have mismanaged the money. Given to Greenville Tech instead.

wow. This is telling of what we all already know. Until the law is changed, and the board is mostly changed, this will continue. #notanotherdime

Reactions: rogue cock
With all due respect, Ms. Kennedy is BS crazy! If you've ever known anyone that has worked with her or for her, they will confirm. I can only imagine that she was very difficult to deal with as a Board member......
That's fine but in this world but a lot of the wealthy are crazy. I think it comes with the territory. You bite your lip and deal with it.

With all due respect, Ms. Kennedy is BS crazy! If you've ever known anyone that has worked with her or for her, they will confirm. I can only imagine that she was very difficult to deal with as a Board member......
She is NOT a Board member. And when a person has much needed money…you attempt to work around the person’s negative attributes.

I have heard the opposite.

However, even if what you say is true, why would the BOARD not be aware of this and why would they invite a "BS Crazy" person to be an advisor to the board for such an important position?

Why would C Dorn Smith stand up at a meeting and wag his finger at her instead of handling it privately with an ounce of class and integrity instead of doing it in the worst way possible?

I've had customers over the years that stood up and hurled curse words at me with ranting and raving and I've never so much as raised a finger to them or even argued with them because I knew that doing so only makes things worse.

Why would a medical doctor who is a board member and supposed esteemed community member approved by the SC Legislature not react the same prudent and rational way when an advisory board member who happens to be a big donor and CEO of a local, well known company tries to make a point or objects to the same old direction the Board has chosen to go in again and again?

My supervisor has told me several times that the people she oversees and hires is a direct reflection of her judgment. I would say it's safe to say the people the BOT asks to advise them is a reflection on them.

I think if that applies to a nobody like me and my supervisor, it apples to a BOT member of the University of South Carolina.

I have literally heard the same thing from the mother of someone who works there. Her daughter says she is absolutey nuts, and you never know when she'll act out and do something crazy or unexpected....in a bad way.

I have literally heard the same thing from the mother of someone who works there. Her daughter says she is absolutey nuts, and you never know when she'll act out and do something crazy or unexpected....in a bad way.
So her decision to withdraw might all be on ulterior grounds? Is that what you're saying.

So her decision to withdraw might all be on ulterior grounds? Is that what you're saying.
Not necessarily, just thinking if she acts as irrational as she supposedly does in a work environment then it may translate to a situation like this.

She's never been a Board member, shit for brains. Quit lying

Reactions: nikolas22
And I have heard from the mother of someone who works with you that you wear women's underwear, snort coke in the breakroom and give BJ's for promotions

How does it feel to have someone do the EXACT same thing to you that you just did to Lou Kennedy?

And I have heard from the mother of someone who works with you that you wear women's underwear, snort coke in the breakroom and give BJ's for promotions

How does it feel to have someone do the EXACT same thing to you that you just did to Lou Kennedy?
knight-cavalier.gif

Got that right! Made her money the old fashioned way. Broke up a marriage and then married the man with the money!

Got that right! Made her money the old fashioned way. Broke up a marriage and then married the man with the money!
Except that he was already divorced when they met. So lets try this again. You're a crack dealer who is on a sex offender registry. There, I just did the same thing you did to Lou Kennedy.

And the person STILL works there! You work around any negatives if you want your job…or like USC…you want her Money!

Reactions: chief2791

Again, this doesn't matter.

What someone's cousin's friend's uncle's ex wife thinks is irrelevant.

This is a pattern.

She was asked to be an advisor to the Presidential search committee. The issue at hand was that in a meeting of the committee, she was disrespected and no one there has disputed her account. The issue wasn't that one incident. The issue was that it was a continual pattern. Again, no one has disputed her account. Decent human beings that are professional don't treat advisors to their own committee in a disrespectful manner, especially in front of others. If you don't like her, don't take her advice.

Regardless, if she was the problem, then her inclusion makes the committee look even worse because they continued to allow her to participate, and then C Dorn Smith made a fool of himself for "wagging" his finger.

Our board, outside of a few of the newer members is a statewide disgrace. The fact our legislature allows board members to serve 20, 30, and nearly 40 years is a disgrace.

Our university has too many talented alums, too many successful graduates in a variety of fields to suffer at the hands of board members who spend too long on the BOT.

It's also a disgrace that most of the board is made up of so many lawyers and doctors. Lawyers and doctors are not uniquely gifted to run and advise universities. Having a few of each on a board is wise and acceptable.

Having to be a doctor or lawyer to have a decent chance to be on the board is ridiculous- especially from a legislature that spends almost all their time talking about the benefits of having business owners making decisions, and how we need to run everything like a business. Well, if that is true, why in the heck not have some serious business owner (CEO, Owner, etc) firepower on the board?

There is immeasurable value in any board member not serving too long. There is value in having healthy turnover on a board - any board- even if you are serving on the baord of your local Boys and Girls Club. New people often bring new perspectives, new solutions, new possibilities.

It's beyond pathetic that Eddie Floyd has been on the BOT for almost 40 years. That's embarrassing. It's embarrassing for him (even though he doesn't know it or admit it) and it's awful for the university.

We have way too many entrenched legislators that like the system just the way it is....same issues with the Port Authority and the Highway Department.
Speaking of the DOT, I commute to Columbia everyday for work and head up I-20. The state stopped using its own people to cut the median and shoulders of the highway and contracted with some private company. Driving by at 70+ it's hard to make out the company, but I believe it's someone out of state.

Anyway, it seems that this contract calls for cutting the grass every two weeks. Before the tractors run, they have crews picking up all the trash that's accumulated. That's actually nice, that stretch of interstate has stayed a lot cleaner that it ever has.

My complaint, though, is the fact that they were out cutting the interstate grass a week or so before Thanksgiving. The grass did not need to be cut. If it had been in my yard, I wouldn't have cut it. But the state gave that contract out and that company was taking the state for every penny.

This is the kind of absurdity the state spends money on. Let's cut miles and miles of interstate grass that doesn't need to be cut.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Just because your husband is smart does not mean you are. She is not.

Good lord....get some cream for that hurt vagina. Nobody cares. That was just one off the cuff, unsolicited remark from a coworker when Nephron was mentioned in a random conversation we were having. But in addition to that, since I saw this thread and your terrible analogy and need for attention, I decided to confirm with the daughter who works there. She and most of her coworkers think this lady is either straight up crazy or has a bi-polar issue she is dealing with. I don't know her, don't care to know her, or care what she has to say about anything regarding USC. So eat a fat dick. The end.

Again, this doesn't matter.

What someone's cousin's friend's uncle's ex wife thinks is irrelevant.

This is a pattern.

She was asked to be an advisor to the Presidential search committee. The issue at hand was that in a meeting of the committee, she was disrespected and no one there has disputed her account. The issue wasn't that one incident. The issue was that it was a continual pattern. Again, no one has disputed her account. Decent human beings that are professional don't treat advisors to their own committee in a disrespectful manner, especially in front of others. If you don't like her, don't take her advice.

Regardless, if she was the problem, then her inclusion makes the committee look even worse because they continued to allow her to participate, and then C Dorn Smith made a fool of himself for "wagging" his finger.

Our board, outside of a few of the newer members is a statewide disgrace. The fact our legislature allows board members to serve 20, 30, and nearly 40 years is a disgrace.

Our university has too many talented alums, too many successful graduates in a variety of fields to suffer at the hands of board members who spend too long on the BOT.

It's also a disgrace that most of the board is made up of so many lawyers and doctors. Lawyers and doctors are not uniquely gifted to run and advise universities. Having a few of each on a board is wise and acceptable.

Having to be a doctor or lawyer to have a decent chance to be on the board is ridiculous- especially from a legislature that spends almost all their time talking about the benefits of having business owners making decisions, and how we need to run everything like a business. Well, if that is true, why in the heck not have some serious business owner (CEO, Owner, etc) firepower on the board?

There is immeasurable value in any board member not serving too long. There is value in having healthy turnover on a board - any board- even if you are serving on the baord of your local Boys and Girls Club. New people often bring new perspectives, new solutions, new possibilities.

It's beyond pathetic that Eddie Floyd has been on the BOT for almost 40 years. That's embarrassing. It's embarrassing for him (even though he doesn't know it or admit it) and it's awful for the university.
You're right, sounds like a pattern of her erratic, unhinged behavior. Everyone should be accountable in this ordeal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT