ADVERTISEMENT

Julio Jones IQ

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
Julio lost a $150k earing stud while jet skiing on the lake..He subsequently hired 3 divers to look for the ultra expensive earring...The divers did not admit to finding the diamond;)..How many acts of wanton stupidity led to this story..Finally why wasn't Julio ashamed to admit this:rolleyes:...This whole scenario is proof you don't need an IQ above 70 to get rich

I think I solved this riddle back in my Odyssey of the Mind days.

just think about it..He purchased a $150k diamond stud for himself, not for his wife or lady..Then he went jet skiing with the dang thing in his ear...finally he hired a team of divers to look for it, believing they would tell him if they actually found it...CNN is reporting one of the divers girl friends just got a $150k engagement ring:D

I have a friend who is from Birmingham. His whole family are huge Bama fans, and his cousin met Julio one time. They had a nice chat for about 5 minutes. He said he was a nice guy. They went to part ways, and his cousin put out his hand to shake Julio's, and Julio said, "whoa man! I don't even know you" and walked away. Pretty weird, but maybe he was just protecting his WR assets.

There was an excellent documentary called Broke. It was about athletes burning through their earnings. Idiot moves like buying $150k jewelry for yourself is just another anecdote for the sequel.

This story doesn't pass the smell test. Not the Julio Jones thing, the thing about the divers not telling him they found it.

Let me get this straight. Julio wears expensive diamond stud earring. Rides Jet Ski around lake. Finds stud is missing. Ok, got it.

Julio hired divers to find stud. Okay, it's his money.

Then a report of diver buying fiance "$150,000" ring.

Right. Tell you guys what. I'll ride a Jet Ski around Lake Murray a while. At some point I'll drop a ceramic (so you can't use a metal detector) marble off the Jet Ski.

Then I'll come back to where you are waiting with your crack team of divers. I'll give you guys a general idea (to the best of my abilities, cough*) idea of where I rode around.

Let's see how long it takes to find that marble.

Only way it could ever happen is if it had a gold setting or something. Metal detectors work best with ferrous metals, but will pick up things like gold as well (this is actually kind of complicated). But there won't be much metal in that setting, and nothing like this works well with 5 to 10 feet of water or whatever. Then there is the "needle in a haystack" thing.

Not buying it unless there is more to this story.

This story doesn't pass the smell test. Not the Julio Jones thing, the thing about the divers not telling him they found it.

Let me get this straight. Julio wears expensive diamond stud earring. Rides Jet Ski around lake. Finds stud is missing. Ok, got it.

Julio hired divers to find stud. Okay, it's his money.

Then a report of diver buying fiance "$150,000" ring.

Right. Tell you guys what. I'll ride a Jet Ski around Lake Murray a while. At some point I'll drop a ceramic (so you can't use a metal detector) marble off the Jet Ski.

Then I'll come back to where you are waiting with your crack team of divers. I'll give you guys a general idea (to the best of my abilities, cough*) idea of where I rode around.

Let's see how long it takes to find that marble.

Only way it could ever happen is if it had a gold setting or something. Metal detectors work best with ferrous metals, but will pick up things like gold as well (this is actually kind of complicated). But there won't be much metal in that setting, and nothing like this works well with 5 to 10 feet of water or whatever. Then there is the "needle in a haystack" thing.

Not buying it unless there is more to this story.

Dude--Unless I am missing something the whole "diver buying his fiance' a 150K ring was a joke"......If true it would be epic!

Dude--Unless I am missing something the whole "diver buying his fiance' a 150K ring was a joke"......If true it would be epic!

To most folks the "CNN is reporting" quip is a dead give away for joke...But it is a fact he hired a team of divers to search for the diamond..the whole affair is so stupid i can't stop laughing...The vanity required for a man to buy himself a $150k diamond is off the charts..The stupidity to wear it while jet skiing is epic

That's what he get for wearing a ring in his ear.
leave-it-to-beaver-family.jpg

Sorry guys cant post for a while, me and the family just planned a last minute scuba diving trip

source.gif

My friend once Julio informed the divers they were hunting a $150k diamond stud, they used a metal detector and split the 150k 3 ways

People do dumb stuff.....I don't know how he thought that divers could find a earing in a lake.

I lost my wedding band in the ocean about 4 months after I got married... I sure wish I had hired a team of divers to look for it. MrsBigTomE was not happy

Reactions: lawcalcock
As someone who has been diving for over 30 years I can tell you the odds of finding a ear ring even with 3 divers is close to infinitesimal. Fist you would need to know almost exactly where the ear ring fell. Then since your at the bottom of lake the viz is probably no better than 10 feet. At that point you are pretty much using your hand in a sweeping motion at the bottom.

There is more to this process, but you probably get the idea

In all the interviews I've heard Julio Jones he seems to be a we before me kinda guy. This is incredibly dumb nonetheless.

I'd be shocked to know he thought to have it insured?

that level of stupidity doesn't buy insurance...Also no company would cover it being lost while jet skiing..If it was insured he would have reported it stolen...I hear about 50% of pro athletes are too stupid to buy auto insurance

I once dropped my Citadel class ring in about 3 feet of water in the Florida keys while cleaning the boat at the dock. Visibility was great but there was a two to three inch layer of dead grass and a bunch of rocks exactly the same size as my ring. I knew exactly where it landed and after 3 hours of searching with two other people we had no luck. Got in the water two days later to take a picture and I put my hand down just to support myself and sure enough my ring was right under my left hand. That was spring break my senior year. Many beverages were consumed soon after

Julio lost a $150k earing stud while jet skiing on the lake..He subsequently hired 3 divers to look for the ultra expensive earring...The divers did not admit to finding the diamond;)..How many acts of wanton stupidity led to this story..Finally why wasn't Julio ashamed to admit this:rolleyes:...This whole scenario is proof you don't need an IQ above 70 to get rich
What an idiot...

Reactions: lawcalcock
As someone who has been diving for over 30 years I can tell you the odds of finding a ear ring even with 3 divers is close to infinitesimal. Fist you would need to know almost exactly where the ear ring fell. Then since your at the bottom of lake the viz is probably no better than 10 feet. At that point you are pretty much using your hand in a sweeping motion at the bottom.

Can't imagine the lake has much debris at the bottom either... Or that the ring could shift position over the course of a day or so...

Really surprised this didn't work out

Its not an I.Q. issue but a financial one. To him perhaps 150k in his bank account is like 1k for us. Then again did he really hire a scuba diving team to search? If it fell off during a jet ski run it would be impossible to locate uet they didnt turn his money away either lol i suppose i could give 2 shits either way lol

Can't imagine the lake has much debris at the bottom either... Or that the ring could shift position over the course of a day or so...

Really surprised this didn't work out

You would be amazed at the amount of trash you will find at the bottom of lakes, and unfortunately even reefs.
Bottles, beer cans, cigarette buts, potato chip bags, tools, fishing filament, etc, totally disgusting. The amount of underwater surge can depend on tides, boat traffic etc, so a small item can definitely move or get covered up by sand very easily
Can't tell you the amount of times some item has been dropped from our dive boat right below us and nobody can find the item even after entering the water immediately after it happened.
Losing dive equipment can be costly, not 150k costly, but costly none the less

Its not what you make, Its what you spend, and NFL guys make the least. You could pizz through that quickly with stupid decisions like that.

Reactions: cocky4
Its not an I.Q. issue but a financial one. To him perhaps 150k in his bank account is like 1k for us. Then again did he really hire a scuba diving team to search? If it fell off during a jet ski run it would be impossible to locate uet they didnt turn his money away either lol i suppose i could give 2 shits either way lol

Totally agree . To Julio $100,000 is like us putting a quarter in a coke machine . He hired the divers for one reason .... he could , I actually had a friend who went to HS with Julio in Foley AL. He had nothing but great things to say about him . He said Julio is a country boy , Loved to hunt and Fish anytime he could . He did say once Julio got to Bama his coaches and advisers made him quit hunting because they were afraid he might injury his hands !! Good idea

Reactions: Art__Vandelay

Not to mention the chance that some random hungry fish noticed the sparkly thing sinking to the bottom of the lake.

Totally agree . To Julio $100,000 is like us putting a quarter in a coke machine . He hired the divers for one reason .... he could , I actually had a friend who went to HS with Julio in Foley AL. He had nothing but great things to say about him . He said Julio is a country boy , Loved to hunt and Fish anytime he could . He did say once Julio got to Bama his coaches and advisers made him quit hunting because they were afraid he might injury his hands !! Good idea

Heard the same things. Julio is a country boy

It is not quite like that for almost all pro football players. It takes a lot of money to live in major cities and in well to do neighborhoods that will give them a secure home from all the crazy people. Then usually a player gets tied up in living a fairly up town lifestyle to be part of the scene that his teammates live. Most football players have spent most of their salaries by the time they retire. The real killer is finding yourself with an ex-wife or two....that will take it real quick....but hard to lay off the tang. Yeah they make more money in very short period of time than any of us will ever see.....but they have the cost of a life situation...that none of us will have to deal with also.

I do not like the guy just because he got a little chippy when they came to town in 2010...until Gilmore almost ripped his head off his shoulders to let him know where he was.

There are plenty of players who do not squander their earnings. The key is to stay in shape, and reduce the chance of injury. Try to stay in the league as long as possible or viable so as to maximize the NFL pension, live below their means to save and invest, and contribute time and leverage their resources to help the community they play in. This kind of good will goes a long way in helping players have a life after football ... and maybe a pretty good paying job too.

Reactions: thisisnextyr
The stats say most piss away their NFL earnings. 100k is 100k.

How did this get in the media? If he wanted it to be publicized, now THAT would be stupid. To answer your question about how many acts of wanton stupidity led to this story, really it was only one - wearing the thing while jet-skiing.

To most folks the "CNN is reporting" quip is a dead give away for joke...But it is a fact he hired a team of divers to search for the diamond..the whole affair is so stupid i can't stop laughing...The vanity required for a man to buy himself a $150k diamond is off the charts..The stupidity to wear it while jet skiing is epic
"CNN is reporting ..." is a dead giveaway that what follows is untrue -- the butt of the joke.

How did this get in the media? If he wanted it to be publicized, now THAT would be stupid. To answer your question about how many acts of wanton stupidity led to this story, really it was only one - wearing the thing while jet-skiing.

wrong...the dumbest thing was buying it to begin with...finally hiring the divers was idiotic...that's prolly how it went public..i am certain he didn't this known

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT