ADVERTISEMENT

just curious, what would you have done differently?

bushmastercock

Nov 30, 2015
From what I have heard Ray contacted Herman and Herman chose to stay at Houston. Then he contacted Smart. Uga fired Richt to get Kirby. So his first two choices didn't reciprocate.
He interviewed coaches that do want the job and it looks like he felt Muschamp was the best option so now we are getting Muschamp.
What should Tanner have done? Also seems to me all the grumbling and complaining should be directed at the candidates that turned us down not the coach that wants to be here.
Hope Muschamp can get it done. I'm excited to see the staff he hires

I'm not going to write out some long answer because I've explained myself many times. Short answer, we could have gotten Riley on the cheap and had a home run hire. People whine about "oh but can he get a staff??" We are about to get Kurt Freaking Roper. That ain't exactly making the hairs on my neck tingle. At least Riley could be his own OC and find a decent DC somewhere. In 5 years all you people will be saying "damn Robert you were right, he's tearing it up! We could have had him. Gah just our luck"

No one will give you a reasonable response.

Everyone talks out of their a$$ on here.

They see the name Muschamp and they immediately dismiss him because of his record at UF. That's as far as these people's brains go.

32 year old, Lincoln Riley?? Sure, that could be a home run, but that's also a huge risk.

Muschamp is not the most inspiring candidate, but he is the least risky and actually has a lot going for him as a head coach, particularly as a recruiter in this area.

It's ok to question Tanner, but you people talking out of your a$$ calling for him to be fired, are embarrassing. That doesn't fly in the real world. There is no black and white in this type of situation.

Maybe we can't do better than a coach that failed miserably at a school where it is much easier to win than it is at USC. Why not take a chance on Riley? Muschamp has a track record. Ray is really sticking his neck out an offending much of the fan base. And the fan base won't be nearly as patient with Muschamp as they would the other candidates. If this doesn't work quickly I can see a pressed in two years to announce Muschamps firing, and then another about an hour later to announce Rays.

Reactions: robertfootball
How is Champ least risky than Riley? Riley had the background of winning everywhere he's been and turning offenses around his first year.

It seems to me that people are/were being overly harsh on the Rich Rod thing. How is it Tanner's fault that the guy decided to be massively unprofessional?

Because Rich Rod shouldn't have been on his list to begin with. Going by the criteria that Ray himself set, Rich Rod fit none of it.
It seems to me that if a coach with a history of success expresses interest in the job, Tanner would be doing us a disservice not to interview him. I get that the guy's a jackass, but he does win ball games. That's what he's paid to do after all, not be a nice guy. Do I think he would be a good choice? Not really, but with his resume the least we could do was hear him out.

Why not muschamp?

His only job at Auburn was as a defensive coordinator and he made it worse. Wow just Shocked by this hire. Won't make his whole contract.

It seems to me that if a coach with a history of success expresses interest in the job, Tanner would be doing us a disservice not to interview him. I get that the guy's a jackass, but he does win ball games. That's what he's paid to do after all, not be a nice guy. Do I think he would be a good choice? Not really, but with his resume the least we could do was hear him out.
And if Ray had any kind of experience or did any sort of research he'd see that Rich had a history of doing things like this. He's a shady character and not one you want to do business with if you're an experienced AD that knows what he's doing.

Reactions: fightingcock103
From what I have heard Ray contacted Herman and Herman chose to stay at Houston. Then he contacted Smart. Uga fired Richt to get Kirby. So his first two choices didn't reciprocate.
He interviewed coaches that do want the job and it looks like he felt Muschamp was the best option so now we are getting Muschamp.
What should Tanner have done? Also seems to me all the grumbling and complaining should be directed at the candidates that turned us down not the coach that wants to be here.

I would have made Riley, or some other offense-minded up-and-comer, a much more serious contender. It's time for a youth movement.

That said, I'll give Boom the benefit of the doubt for a while and hope for the best. I just worry we're going back to the same old well. But I'll be delighted to be proven wrong.

And if Ray had any kind of experience or did any sort of research he'd see that Rich had a history of doing things like this. He's a shady character and not one you want to do business with if you're an experienced AD that knows what he's doing.
Bruce Pearl and John Calipari are known liars and known cheaters. People still fall ass-backwards to hire them. As long as they win ball games, who cares? I think you're just determined to be unhappy.

Bruce Pearl and John Calipari are known liars and known cheaters. People still fall ass-backwards to hire them. As long as they win ball games, who cares? I think you're just determined to be unhappy.
But they aren't known to go fishing in other ponds behind your back. If I'm Arizona I make RichRods life miserable after the stunt he pulled.

I would have stuck to the script and had a young up and coming coach in place 7-10 days ago. Not a former up and comer that failed at a school that should be easier to succeed at than here. And I would have told Rich Rod to f-off.

Reactions: USC1832

If by history of success you mean ran an offense that was innovative more than ten years ago. Going 6-6 this year by beating 5 horrible teams and taking Michigan to 3-9 is more a history of not being successful. If you're going to interview an offensive minded coach from the Pac-12 there is one that beat Arizona, had a better record, and did it at a much more difficult place in Mike Leach.

Because Rich Rod shouldn't have been on his list to begin with. Going by the criteria that Ray himself set, Rich Rod fit none of it.
I agree, I never would have let RR interview but I don't think riley would be able to put as good of a supporting cast as muschamp. Jmho. I'm not saying Tanner did a great job but I muschamp is the man, then let's see what he can do given a second chance

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT