ADVERTISEMENT

What Specifically Is Being Done About the Offensive Line?

Cocky Hobbit

Dec 15, 2014
Adkins gets next to no criticism -- it's all directed at Satt. I don't get that. It's Adkins ONLY job to make sure our guys do two things 1) open running lanes and 2) protect the passer. Z White may have been the best back in the nation but no one even knew he was any good until more than half of the season is gone. Even Walter Payton needed running lanes.

I love the Rattler commit but why aren't we hearing about any 5 star offensive linemen that are coming to USC?

If we are going to go with a two tight end set and a blocking back then we are back in business. When we did that this year our offense looked like a juggernaut -- until we switched out of that formation. That had to be Satt's doing, so that is one area where I think he was hurting us.

I also started hearing at the end of the season that tandem blocking was helping these guys. Seems like that should have been sorted out by game 3.

But again, why aren't we hearing ANYTHING about what is being done to correct the failures of our offensive line?

Seems that keeping the same OL coach is asking for a repeat. God, I hope not.

Reactions: engineercock86
Maybe he’s being told to coach his guys a certain way by a certain OC? And, doesn’t agree with what he’s being told to do.

5-star OL???? Seriously?

Several things completely wrong with that expectation...
First....there aren't many 5-star OL
Second....it is the most difficult position to evaluate
Three....the effectiveness of any OL is based on the system you are trying to run and the blocking scheme you are trying to teach as a result.

Pretty much quit reading the rest of the post after that comment.

i think theres a decent OL transfer out of UVA.. Thinks he leaning towards Maryland, we should try to scoop him up. We def need help up front. Not too much you can do when a bad OL dictates what set you call plays out of

It may be because Adkins has been successful at multiple stops and Satterfield has not.

He’s also been the OL coach less than one full year. You can’t even say that you’ve seen his product on the field yet. This past season was nothing more than damage control of a raging dumpster fire.

5-star OL???? Seriously?

Three....the effectiveness of any OL is based on the system you are trying to run and the blocking scheme you are trying to teach as a result.

You can look for balance when scouting an OL recruit. Look for things such as does he stay square with a defender and not get pushed off his base, how quickly are his hands and foot work when engaging defenders, does he take plays off when the ball is going away from his side, is he a better pass blocker or run blocker, does he look like his frame can put on another 50lbs of muscle, stuff like that. It’s not always a blind crap shoot. Take Bailey for instance, he lived up to everything he was supposed to be, same with Art Shells nephew. If they dominated in a high level in highschool you can bet they’re likely to do the same in college.

You can look for balance when scouting an OL recruit. Look for things such as does he stay square with a defender and not get pushed off his base, how quickly are his hands and foot work when engaging defenders, does he take plays off when the ball is going away from his side, is he a better pass blocker or run blocker, does he look like his frame can put on another 50lbs of muscle, stuff like that. It’s not always a blind crap shoot. Take Bailey for instance, he lived up to everything he was supposed to be, same with Art Shells nephew. If they dominated in a high level in highschool you can bet they’re likely to do the same in college.
I realize that....but even most of those types are 3-stars. And regardless of stars, very, very few are ready to contribute in their first two years. That's why when it comes to OL I don't care about the stars as you tend to have a lot of non-professionals rating them. I try to look at their offer lists to see which other programs think they are worth a scholarship....especially if one or more of those offers come from a program/coach I respect.

5-star OL???? Seriously?

Fourth: in high school, you put your big chunky guys on OL. The perception of a good number of high school OL, particularly the smaller divisions, is based on them “blocking” (really just pushing) guys that are smaller than them; once they get a same size guy in front of them they get pwned. Some exceptions, AJ Cann for instance, but not as many as thought. My next door neighbor back during Holtz was one; we recruited him heavily, tickets to all the games, then put him thru some workouts and dropped him like a hot potato. Ended up camping at GA Southern and was pretty much sent home immediately. Very tough position to evaluate; the can’t misses go straight to Alabama.

As said, very tough position to evaluate, not many elite or automatic type guys. The best way is to recruit numbers, don't mess around with long-shot projects, and then grow the keepers in a solid consistent system.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT