ADVERTISEMENT

Just glanced at the upcoming 2019 football schedule

Aug 26, 2018
If the Gamecocks were to go 6 and 6 or worse how much heat will Champ start to feel and will it be justified given the fact that our schedule will be the toughest in school history?

Depends on the circumstances. Lose close games or get blown out? No-shows like Belk Bowl? More regression in defensive play? I think he’s on the hot seat when there’s signs we’re both losing and the “progrum” shows signs of moving backwards.

6-6 next year will put him on the hot seat. He is going to have to beat someone we are not going to be favored to beat. An 8-win season would be a good one against that schedule.

Reactions: Holy City Cock
A 6 win season would be a good one against that schedule.
Probably. But the fans won't accept it....as has been demonstrated on here. He definitely won't be fired because of a 6 win season next year, but he will have to show improvement in record the following year. Hence, my use of the term "hot seat" though it will be more "warm" than "hot."

Probably. But the fans won't accept it....as has been demonstrated on here. He definitely won't be fired because of a 6 win season next year, but he will have to show improvement in record the following year. Hence, my use of the term "hot seat" though it will be more "warm" than "hot."
Regardless of schedule he can’t lose to Clemson Georgia and Kentucky every year. That chit won’t flush

The problem is he has a senior QB next year that's been his starter almost his entire time here. He's breaking in a brand new guy the following year. I'd hate to be pinning my job on the hopes of a brand new first year starter at QB.

Yeah. But we got to stop saying .500 is good. Win anyway
I don't think anyone is saying .500 is "good" in the complete sense of the word, but it may be the best we can reasonably expect considering our schedule. We have to be playing more top 5-10 teams next year than any other team.....and we are striving to get into the top 25. That is not a recipe for a large number of wins....even pulling an upset.

Reactions: cornstock84
Regardless of schedule he can’t lose to Clemson Georgia and Kentucky every year. That chit won’t flush
Kentucky, I agree. Clemson and UGA? Sorry, but we aren't Bama. If you are planning to beat them soon (absent a MAJOR upset) start yelling "Roll Tide!!!"

If the Gamecocks were to go 6 and 6 or worse how much heat will Champ start to feel and will it be justified given the fact that our schedule will be the toughest in school history?
6-6 ain't gonna make it. No one really expects wins over Bama or UGA, but losing to the likes of UK, UT, Mizzou, UNC, or App State - any or all of those would bring acid rain.

6-6 ain't gonna make it. No one really expects wins over Bama or UGA, but losing to the likes of UK, UT, Mizzou, UNC, or App State - any or all of those would bring acid rain.
I believe we win those games....along with Vandy and the other OOC sacrificial lamb. That would give us 7 wins against a tough schedule. Upset Florida and we have a chance for 8 wins....and that would be a great year.

I got you going 7-5, one of my best friends is a Carolina graduate and donor he said 6-6. We do a pick'em for both schools and hang it on the wall in my classroom at school where we work each year.

I believe we win those games....along with Vandy and the other OOC sacrificial lamb. That would give us 7 wins against a tough schedule. Upset Florida and we have a chance for 8 wins....and that would be a great year.
I've believed we would beat UK every year for the last 5 years. Now I'll believe it when I finally see it.

Reactions: king ward
Schedule no different than this year except Bama.

Yeah, but even though the SEC East schedule stays the same, UGA will once again be top 5, Florida will be much better in year 2 under Mullen, Kentucky may be worse but they have somehow won 5 in a row, and even Tennessee will be much better in Pruitt's 2nd year.

Vandy should be a guaranteed win, but even Mizzou is probably closer to a 60-40 chance of winning if Kelly Bryant is able to perform well.

A&M will also be much better in year 2 under Jimbo. They should be top 10 next year IMO.

Even the usual easy game is against an App State team that is coming off of an 11-2 season and has 10+ wins in 3 of the past 4 years.

Even UNC as bad as they were this year should be considerably better with Mack Brown back coaching them.

Charleston Southern is the only easy game on the schedule, and even though App State, Vandy, Mizzou and UNC should be wins, they won't be pushovers.

Going 7-5 in the regular season next year would be Muschamp's best performance to date given the difficult schedule.

There could be three top 5 teams and 5 top 10 teams next year. There could be another 1-3 teams in the top 25 also. It will probably be the most difficult schedule in the country.

Reactions: bmull08
You know I actually had some hope after the Clemson game . After the 2nd half of Akron and Virginia in the bowl game ... hate to say it but my outlook for next year is as bleak as I can ever remember going back to the 0-11 Days . Either way he will be here for at least the next two years regardless . That’s the difference between us and the contenders .

No he won’t be fired. His buyout would be above $20m even after next year...he might not get an extension and raise with a 6 win season. It’ll take a couple years with no Bowl before Tanner considers a coaching change

Reactions: Flounder Pounder
No he won’t be fired. His buyout would be above $20m even after next year...he might not get an extension and raise with a 6 win season. It’ll take a couple years with no Bowl before Tanner considers a coaching change
If Muschamp can scrape through next year and be bowl-eligible, he should be bowl-eligible every year thereafter. As long as he keeps his overall record above .500, he's set for life. This group won't fire him.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
The problem is he has a senior QB next year that's been his starter almost his entire time here. He's breaking in a brand new guy the following year. I'd hate to be pinning my job on the hopes of a brand new first year starter at QB.

He also has done this to himself by not giving any backups this year any meaningful reps at QB1... See Belk Bowl. While we all believe RH will be the QB of the future, not get Dak or Jay touches in a blowout bowl game or some other games this year might bite him in the butt. Every freaking coach knows a kid is only theirs for 3/4 years and as you said with Bentley being starter for most like all four years, we haven't got another guy ready to play.

Reactions: 92Pony
Road kill or spoiler? That's the drama of next year. Just as it is for 90% of every college football team there is.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I am hoping the team and more importantly the coaches learn from the Florida meltdown and the Belk Bowl no show. We need to start showing we can upset some teams, and we will have ample chance to do that next year. If we go 6-6 next year, and maybe upset Bama or Clemson, Champ will be safe. I actually think he will be safe unless we just tank and go 4-7 or worse.

Dang it did y’all watch the bowl game? Akron?
We have 0 guaranteed wins including App state

Reactions: NetworkX
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT