ADVERTISEMENT

Just got back from the Belk Bowl.

GeorgeMasonCock

Nov 26, 2008
First of all, just got back home in Metro Atlanta from the Belk Bowl. The best thing I can say about today was that the fans did a great job supporting the team. A lot of Gamecock fans showed up today.

Today's performance was truly disappointing. Although I expected to win, I knew we weren't going to walk over UVA just because they were an ACC team. They aren't a terrible team, we had several guys out, and almost every P5 team we play always seems to come down to the wire with this coaching staff. I'm not disappointed so much in losing as much HOW we looked. We were outcoached and outplayed today. UVA seemed like they wanted it more. No excuse to get shutout 28-0 by this team at all.

I really believed after the Clemson game that Bentley had finally turned the corner and that Muschamp finally found the OC he has been looking for and the narrative about him having struggling offense could finally be put the rest. Maybe I spoke too soon. I do believe BMAC made strides during the second half of the season as our offense showed improvements from 2016 and 2017. Today was a step back but if Jake does return, there is enough talent to improve and perform better than we did this season. But we need Jake to play like he did during the second half of the regular season if we want to do accomplish big things in 2019, assuming he comes back.

Defensively, we didn't play very well obviously but didn't think we were THAT bad considering all the injuries and youth. They gave us a couple of stops in the first and second half but our offense just couldn't capitalize.

Didn't think losing Bailey and Deebo would really affect our offense like it did today. OL struggled to protect Jake and open up running lanes. Josh Vann has a bright future IMO but two key drops killed drives and Dawkins struggled as well.

I really like Muschamp and the job he has done with USC. Recruiting is going well and I believe he and our staff does a good job with evaluating talent. He has the most wins in the first three seasons in USC history. All this firing talk is premature. Injuries on defense really hurt our team this year and he and staff did a good job getting to a bowl. I still believe he has us on the right track. IMO we need to give him at least two more seasons before we can judge his tenure at USC.

However with that said, my big concern with Muschamp with this staff is how we perform in bowl games and against ranked teams. Majority of the time we look flat and unprepared to start off games although we started well vs UF and Clemson but couldn't finish the deal in the Swamp. 1-12 against ranked teams isn't going to cut it and all three of our bowl games we faced big deficits. The biggest thing for me next year is finding a way to win a couple of games against ranked teams. Muschamp has to prove he can win the big games if we want to go to another level as a program, especially with recruiting.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News