ADVERTISEMENT

Just got back from the USA Basketball Olympic Trials...

Crutcher1

Mar 17, 2010
Considering they can only choose 12 for the Olympic Team, and six or seven all-stars are finishing up the WNBA playoffs, it's going to be tough for the former Gamecocks to make the team.
I would think A'ja will make it, especially with an eye to the future, and possibly - but probably not, Alisha Gray. She, as always, was sneaky good. She had trouble keeping up with Diamond Deshields physically, but makes so many good decisions and so few mistakes, she would be a valuable asset to any team. Tiffany Mitchell also played, but not outstandingly.
18 players suited up, 12 from the WNBA and 6 were still in college (including Ty Harris, 2 from ND, 2 from Oregon, and 1 from Uconn). Probably only 6 or 7 who played tonight will make the final cut.

Thank you for the insight. What was the atmosphere like ? Do the women have any competition globally?
I have not seen any kind of boxscore, but I would estimate a crowd of about 5K. The bottom bowl was about half full. The crowd enjoyed it and did not have a rooting interest in either team, as they were all USA, just broken down into red or white jerseys.
There were two Gamecocks on either team.

I saw in the paper that A'ja had 16 points, seven rebounds and Alisha had 13 points, four rebounds and three assists. Ty and Tiffany had 6 and 5 points respectively.
Other than the Gamecocks, the players that stood out to me were the center from Chicago (Dolson), the biggest player on the team who could crash the boards and hit several three pointers, Tina Charles, Kelsey Mitchell, Nneka Ogwumike from the LA Sparks, and Ogunbowale (from ND).
On the negative side, Diamond Deshields never saw a shot opportunity she did not like. She is very fast and athletic, but like we said back in the day, she's "a chucker". Also, Kelsey Plum, the NCAA all-time leading scorer and #1 draft pick two years ago, is a good shooter when wide open, but could not create her own shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT