ADVERTISEMENT

Just looked over the bowl schedule and

importcock

Aug 28, 2007
Had a couple thoughts. First, looks like the biggest loser in bowl selection is BYU. Number 13 in the polls and got stuck going to Shreveport to play UAB. Sounds like something that would happen to us... if we could get ourselves ranked again. My other thought is I would love to see Utah beat OSU. And it could happen. I watched them against Oregon and was really impressed. And it's setting up nicely for them. Looks like one of those bowls where a team thinks they're too good to be there, (OSU) and they don't show up. Come to think of it BYU could do the same thing. At least we don't have to worry about overconfidence being a problem in our game.

Had a couple thoughts. First, looks like the biggest loser in bowl selection is BYU. Number 13 in the polls and got stuck going to Shreveport to play UAB. Sounds like something that would happen to us... if we could get ourselves ranked again. My other thought is I would love to see Utah beat OSU. And it could happen. I watched them against Oregon and was really impressed. And it's setting up nicely for them. Looks like one of those bowls where a team thinks they're too good to be there, (OSU) and they don't show up. Come to think of it BYU could do the same thing. At least we don't have to worry about overconfidence being a problem in our game.
Since when. There are SEC Bowl tie-ins and if we were #13 we presumably have a good record. Higher bowls would have to take us. No chance we’d drop that low. This has been the case since 1991…

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
Yeah, BYU got jobbed big time.

Reactions: NMB Dave
It sure has never hurt ND, but their brand has always been more attractive. As noted, they will be in Big 12, as of now, in 2023. Joining Cincy, UCF, and Houston in the move
They're in the West Coast Conference currently and will be in the Big 12 soon.

Maybe you should follow college football a little closer.
BYU has been an independent since July 1, 2011. Reminds me of the scene in Dumb and Dumber when Jim Carey’s character sees the newspaper headline that the astronauts landed on the moon. Maybe we should call you Lloyd.

BYU has been an independent since July 1, 2011. Reminds me of the scene in Dumb and Dumber when Jim Carey’s character sees the newspaper headline that the astronauts landed on the moon. Maybe we should call you Lloyd.
They have been an independent in football since that time, hence their scheduling issues last year due to Covid (why they came to Coastal to play) But again, you’re the one calling for them to join a conference, when they already have

They have been an independent in football since that time, hence their scheduling issues last year due to Covid (why they came to Coastal to play) But again, you’re the one calling for them to join a conference, when they already have
And just like Warrior you're wrong as well...I think. Not sure if you're saying they are in a conference or not lol

I really hate to break this to you but uh...BYU doesn't play football in the Mountain West. Utah St just won the Mountain West by beating San Diego St.

The link you posted actually has them in red as a departing member...they departed.

They haven't departed as of yet. Maybe we should call you a dipshit too.

And just like Warrior you're wrong as well...I think. Not sure if you're saying they are in a conference or not lol
Not sure? Lol. They are INDEPENDENT IN FOOTBALL. The rest of their sports are part of the WCC not Mountain West.
Their independence last year really hurt their ability to schedule when most conferences implemented conference only schedules, which is the only reason you saw them play @ Coastal last year.

Not sure? Lol. They are INDEPENDENT IN FOOTBALL. The rest of their sports are part of the WCC not Mountain West.
Their independence last year really hurt their ability to schedule when most conferences implemented conference only schedules, which is the only reason you saw them play @ Coastal last year.
The thread is about football bowl games. I said they were independent. Hell, now I'm confused since the WCC has members in the Mountain West, Independent, and other various leagues. None of which changes the fact Warrior said they were in the WCC in a bowl game thread when they're not.

Dumbass they aren't in it for football. This thread is about what Soccer. You're a dumbass. He was right. Admit youre wrong like a man.
As amusing as all this has been, the fact is Carltrex called for them to join a conference, since apparently they don’t have conference affiliated bowl tie ins which screwed them out of a deservingly better bowl. Yet, they have already joined a conference for football in the future.

Dumbass they aren't in it for football. This thread is about what Soccer. You're a dumbass. He was right. Admit youre wrong like a man.

All he said was BYU should join a conference. Made no reference to football only. And they're already a part of a conference and will be moving to a new one soon.
So again...blow it out your ass. Dipshit.

They haven't departed as of yet. Maybe we should call you a dipshit too.
Why don't you just look at their FOOTBALL schedule this year and see if it looks like a WCC/Mountain West/WAC schedule!!. They basically played half of the PAC 12 and whooped their ass. They are an independent. You are correct in saying that they are joining the Big12.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Why don't you just look at their FOOTBALL schedule this year and see of it looks like a WCC/Mountain West/WAC schedule!!. Thay basically played half of the PAC 12 and whooped their ass. They are an independent. You are correct in saying that they are joining the Big12.
You will probably have to link it for him. He's struggling.

Since when. There are SEC Bowl tie-ins and if we were #13 we presumably have a good record. Higher bowls would have to take us. No chance we’d drop that low. This has been the case since 1991…
Remember when we played in a BCS bowl from 2011-2013? Me either.

BYU missing a new year’s 6 feels a lot like when we didn’t play in BCS those 3 years. It’s true BYU was on the bubble, but if they’re name was Notre Dame they’d probably gotten in

As amusing as all this has been, the fact is Carltrex called for them to join a conference, since apparently they don’t have conference affiliated bowl tie ins which screwed them out of a deservingly better bowl. Yet, they have already joined a conference for football in the future.
I never thought I’d see so much back and forth about BYU on gamecockcentral. I agree, it’s amusing. Lol

Yeah they definitely got the short end on bowl tie ins. Their current contract is that they’re with the Independence Bowl on odd years and ESPN owned bowls on even years. They were formerly tied with the Las Vegas (poinsettia?) bowl.

As noted, it won’t matter much longer when they go to the Big12 in 2023.

Also, fun fact the West Coast Conference does not sponsor football! 😀

I believe that USC & UK are the only (current) SEC members who sponsor varsity men's soccer. Each school is an associate member of C-USA, competing in C-USA exclusively in men's soccer.

Since the WCC does not sponsor football championships, a member school which does sponsor football has a few options:
  1. If the school wants it's football team to compete in a conference (and remain in the WCC for all other sports), find another conference willing to accept them as a football-only associate member.
  2. Compete as a football independent, either on purpose, or by default.
  3. Leave the WCC and join as a full member, another conference which does sponsor football.
There, that wasn't so bad. And no name calling either.

And while it doesn't apply on the FBS level, there's the football-only FCS Pioneer League . All Pioneer League member schools do not award athletic scholarships for football.

The point is that schools can often tailor their athletic conference affiliations (or lack thereof) to meet the needs of individual sports.

Reactions: myrtlecock

BYU missing a new year’s 6 feels a lot like when we didn’t play in BCS those 3 years. It’s true BYU was on the bubble, but if they’re name was Notre Dame they’d probably gotten in
yeah, there were rules. We didn’t get hosed. No more than two SEC Teams (2 teams from any conference) could play in a BCS Bowl. That’s why we got left out. Not because we didn’t get chosen. We weren’t one of the Top 2 ranked teams in the Final BCS rankings when bowls were picked.

Might depend on how many SEC teams were ranked in the top 10. Okay, it's not baseball.
You realize it was only based on ranking for BCS Bowls and then based on record from
Cirtus Bowl down. Where the negotiations happened were lesser bowls where teams had the same records. Again, if you fell into that category…you weren’t #13 getting hosed. You went 8-4 or 7-5 and have nothing to complain about.

We didn't make the BCS games that one year because only 2 teams from one conference can get in. We ended up #4 that year. So we deserved to be in it, but the rules didn't allow for it.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
We didn't make the BCS games that one year because only 2 teams from one conference can get in. We ended up #4 that year. So we deserved to be in it, but the rules didn't allow for it.
I knew about the 2 team rule but that’s still just so Carolina to always be on the short end in situations like that. The garnet way is when they deserve to be in but aren’t picked for <insert any imaginable reason here>.

BYU could complain about the current NY6 set up. Utah does look really good right now, but BYU beat them in the regular season and went 5-0 vs pac12. But of course Utah has to get the bid because of automatic pac12 tie in.

I knew about the 2 team rule but that’s still just so Carolina to always be on the short end in situations like that. The garnet way is when they deserve to be in but aren’t picked for <insert any imaginable reason here>.

BYU could complain about the current NY6 set up. Utah does look really good right now, but BYU beat them in the regular season and went 5-0 vs pac12. But of course Utah has to get the bid because of automatic pac12 tie in.
That old B(C)S system does make me wonder how our recruiting could've benefited if we could've had those bowl games to sell to recruits instead of Clemson. It was even more nauseating that we thoroughly whipped them head to head and they still got a bigger bowl game than we did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT