ADVERTISEMENT

Just our luck they ban all fans from NCAA/Empty arena

Cocky 45

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2019
Columbia, SC
The one year the women's tourney is in Greenville and we have our best team ever, happens to be the Coronavirus year, there goes the home court advantage, sad.

Reactions: Ragin Rooster
I honestly believe this entire Coronavirus sickness is FAKE NEWS. Not only does it have all of the more common FAKE NEWS parties, it also has FOX, WSJ and other more safe reporting services involved. 8,000 flu cases killed people since first of year.....27 have deceased with the coronavirus during the same time period. This is all very fishy says this old man originally from a small Virginia community that housed Washington's headquarters during the Revolutionary War. It changed occupation with the British at lease 72-times during the war, including 13-times in one day. Not Fake News.

The official mortality rate is 1%, and 90% of that 1% are people over 75, this is a total overreaction. The chances of you getting this is slim to none, let alone dying from it. The mass hysteria and panic from this is beyond ridiculous, and the NCAA banning fans because of something affecting 0.001% of the population is a joke.

Reactions: Buzzkill1
I just say petition to have it in Greenville next year due to unnatural circumstances. The #1 fanbase and shouldn't be punished because of what happened this season.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Well, the mortality rate is 3.6% worldwide, skewed mostly by China. It is currently running at 2.6% in the U.S., skewed mostly by Washington state. But my question is this: is the government going to close down all the bars and clubs where people will gather to watch these games? Are they going to prohibit people from having watch parties in their homes? If they are truly serious about battling this thing, don't allow the games to be televised at all. That will make a real statement.

The official mortality rate is 1%, and 90% of that 1% are people over 75, this is a total overreaction. The chances of you getting this is slim to none, let alone dying from it. The mass hysteria and panic from this is beyond ridiculous, and the NCAA banning fans because of something affecting 0.001% of the population is a joke.

I don't know ... it is early yet. We really don't have reliable numbers. The virus may turn out not to be so bad, but the damage the panic from it can do to the economy is staggering.

Reactions: Buzzkill1
Well, the mortality rate is 3.6% worldwide, skewed mostly by China. It is currently running at 2.6% in the U.S., skewed mostly by Washington state. But my question is this: is the government going to close down all the bars and clubs where people will gather to watch these games? Are they going to prohibit people from having watch parties in their homes? If they are truly serious about battling this thing, don't allow the games to be televised at all. That will make a real statement.
Those numbers are merely guesses because it is impossible to test all the people who display symptoms. There could be hundreds of thousands of unreported cases because the symptoms can be very mild. Even more because we lack the ability to test more than a few people. Doctors and most hospitals in SC do not have the resources. Testing must be done by DHEC. They will only test if you have been out of the country in the last 14 days visiting an affected area AND you show the symptoms. (coughing and fever)

Shouldn't be a surprise. NCAA is in cahoots with the rest of the various leftist propaganda machine to destroy anything "American." From removing artwork to the cancel culture. The watering down / messing up of American sports has been pervasive over the last decade or so and will only get worse. Example: In football you won't be allowed to tackle soon. All under the label of 'player protection' of course.............

Silly me, I believe *A PLAYER* makes the decision to play or not.......and with play comes the risk of injury. No pain, no gain. Anyway, yeah, it's fake news and ridiculous. Predictable, but ridiculous.

I just say petition to have it in Greenville next year due to unnatural circumstances. The #1 fanbase and shouldn't be punished because of what happened this season.
One would hope that the NCAA gives all the current host venues a mulligan and agrees to return to these cities at the first available opportunities. It won't happen next year because those venues are set already, but there's no reason the NCAA can't go ahead and pencil in these venues for the first year in which the hosts haven't yet been awarded.

Reactions: Gamekem
Those are good questions and a good point. As to the official mortality rates, those are based on the officially confirmed cases. If the experts are right and young people may catch this virus and never even know it, then the actual infection rate in the US may be 10,000 or more. If so, then clearly the mortality rate is much lower than the documented 2.6%.

Having said that, it's really impossible at this point to know if these efforts to cancel large gatherings are overreactions or not. We have yet to see the impact of the virus on the elderly and vulnerable populations. There are no easy answers.

I will make one prediction: These games are going to be hard to watch. When you take the crowd, the bands, and other noise out of the equation, the excitement meter goes WAY down.

Those are good questions and a good point. As to the official mortality rates, those are based on the officially confirmed cases. If the experts are right and young people may catch this virus and never even know it, then the actual infection rate in the US may be 10,000 or more. If so, then clearly the mortality rate is much lower than the documented 2.6%.

Having said that, it's really impossible at this point to know if these efforts to cancel large gatherings are overreactions or not. We have yet to see the impact of the virus on the elderly and vulnerable populations. There are no easy answers.
Well, let's put it this way, I know that people don't trust what comes out of China. But we all know that, even given the numbers they are reporting, they have had the highest number of cases (81,000) and the highest number of deaths. Those 81,000 cases represent .0000584 of their population (1,386,000,000). I believe - someone correct me - that this is less than 6/1000 of 1%. We are about to turn our world upside down over something that will probably not warrant some of the ruinous actions that are going to be taken.

Why take the chance? We know how quickly it spread across Italy. It’s clearly in the US now. The nursing home in Washington where two people died now has 20 deaths.

I’d be a little disappointed if games were cancelled, as they were for the Ivy League schools. We still get to watch on TV. I’m hoping that doesn’t change.

Reactions: Gamekem
Why take the chance? We know how quickly it spread across Italy. It’s clearly in the US now. The nursing home in Washington where two people died now has 20 deaths.

I’d be a little disappointed if games were cancelled, as they were for the Ivy League schools. We still get to watch on TV. I’m hoping that doesn’t change.
I'm just hoping the games aren't on ESPN+

What is the number of deaths and/or infections are acceptable before something like this should be done. Is it 100? 1,000? 50,000?
We just don't know what effect canceling fan attendance at tourneys, concerts, sporting events, etc. will have. It may be a big nothing or it may save thousands of lives. Like it or not, what were 4 cases in the California last week have multiplied significantly and 23 states are now effected.
I am not happy because I have already bought Regional tickets, but I'm not ready to criticize the decision because it might just save lives.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
What is the number of deaths and/or infections are acceptable before something like this should be done. Is it 100? 1,000? 50,000?
We just don't know what effect canceling fan attendance at tourneys, concerts, sporting events, etc. will have. It may be a big nothing or it may save thousands of lives. Like it or not, what were 4 cases in the California last week have multiplied significantly and 23 states are now effected.
I am not happy because I have already bought Regional tickets, but I'm not ready to criticize the decision because it might just save lives.
Taking all the cars of the streets would certainly save lives. There are always bicycles.

With the NBA shutting down the season, high probability the NCAA will cancel both men's and women's tournaments

Yes, we do know. Read up about the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic and the number of deaths per capita in Philadelphia vs St. Louis. In St. Louis they followed the same guidelines the epidemiologists are suggesting, now, and the spread was much less. The problem with this is nobody has a built up immunity and there is no vaccine or treatment, so it's like our technology to fight this is circa 1918.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...cle_aa4b3141-696f-5849-bf37-ad1fcacb7f3f.html

That's what Italy is doing and it seems to be making a positive impact on numbers. Grocery Stores and Pharm only there.

Reactions: king ward
Maybe they cancel the womens and men's NCAA tourney and the no 1 ranked team is declared the national champion.

I honestly believe this entire Coronavirus sickness is FAKE NEWS. Not only does it have all of the more common FAKE NEWS parties, it also has FOX, WSJ and other more safe reporting services involved. 8,000 flu cases killed people since first of ye.

Seriously??? So you’re saying that if you had the choice you’d rather have the Corona Virus than the flu? Of course you would. You think it’s fake. Tell that to the families of the thousands who have died of Corona virus.

Now go back and listen to those geniuses on Fox News and do whatever they tell you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT