ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky's Defense, from a UK perspective

BlueRattie

Feb 6, 2014
So, this Saturday is a huge game for my Wildcats as well as your Gamecocks. I've been enjoying reading posts on your forum so I thought I'd chip in with some information about UK's defense. I'm not here to boast or make predictions, but I will write a little about how UK's defensive schematics and how they will sub in and out of packages. Hope you enjoy it. :)

UK will open in a base 3-4 defense. This is their "traditional look", using a big NT, 275-290 lbs run stuffing DE's, OLB's that are more like stand up DE's, one downhill MLB and one "speedy" MLB. Their corners are classic Tampa 2 boundary corners (tall, lanky) and their safeties are basically interchangeable. UK prides itself on being a "multiple" defense and will morph into different fronts at will. They achieve this by using players that are extremely versatile. Both OLB's can play DE; the corners look like safeties, and the DE's can swing down to DT. When they switch to nickle, you'll see Edwards move into the slot as a nickleback. UK likes to get him close to the LOS where the action is. (However, I think this exposes them to damage from a shift slot receiver). Like most teams, UK pulls their NT on passing downs and shift their DE's inside. Ware and Allen may not put their hands in the dirt in these situations, but they are very much pass rushing DEs.

More than anything, UK wants to fill the field with size, speed, and versatility. In the age of multiple offenses, it take a multiple defense to keep you in games. Will UK be able to stop Bentley and company? The answer to that question will more than likely decide the game.

Traditional 3-4:

DE - Middleton - grinder that has played beyond expectations, not an elite athlete.
NT - Pringle - big run plugger in the middle that gets some penetration
DE - Carter - True sophomore that has nice upside but has limited production
OLB - Ware - electric athlete, downhill runner that forces fumbles)
ILB - Jones - fast and aggressive, lots of TFLs, but will run himself out of position too)
ILB - Love - downhill thumper, slow footed, will sometimes take on pulling guards
OLB - Allen - similar to Ware, rangy and athletic, suspect coverage skills
CB - Baity - has emerged as UK's best cover corner, big (6-3) with nice ball skills, NFL player
CB - Westry - great in run support, but lackluster ball skills, something of a disappointment
S - West - coming off major leg surgery, fast and athletic, big hitter, limited in-game experience
S - Edwards - all SEC candidate, versatile, aggressive, solid tackler.

Hybrid 3-3-5:

DE - Middleton
NT - Pringle
DE - Carter
OLB - Jones
ILB - Love
OLB - Allen / Ware
NB - Edwards
CB - Baity
CB - Westry
S - West
S - Robinson

Hybrid 4-3

DE - Ware / Allen
DT - Middleton
DT - Looney
DE - Carter
WSLB - Jones
MLB - Love
SSLB - Allen / Ware
CB - Baity
CB - Westry
S - West
S - Edwards

Hybrid 4-3 Nickle

DE - Ware / Allen
DT - Middleton
DT - Looney
DE - Carter
MLB - Jones
SSLB - Allen / Ware
NB - Edwards
CB - Baity
CB - Westry
S - West
S - Robinson

Hybrid 4-2-5

DE - Ware
DT - Middleton
DT - Carter
DE - Allen
ILB - Love
OLB - Jones
NB - Edwards
CB - Baity
CB - Westry
S - West
S - Robinson

So, this Saturday is a huge game for my Wildcats as well as your Gamecocks. I've been enjoying reading posts on your forum so I thought I'd chip in with some information about UK's defense. I'm not here to boast or make predictions, but I will write a little about how UK's defensive schematics and how they will sub in and out of packages. Hope you enjoy it. :)

UK will open in a base 3-4 defense. This is their "traditional look", using a big NT, 275-290 lbs run stuffing DE's, OLB's that are more like stand up DE's, one downhill MLB and one "speedy" MLB. Their corners are classic Tampa 2 boundary corners (tall, lanky) and their safeties are basically interchangeable. UK prides itself on being a "multiple" defense and will morph into different fronts at will. They achieve this by using players that are extremely versatile. Both OLB's can play DE; the corners look like safeties, and the DE's can swing down to DT. When they switch to nickle, you'll see Edwards move into the slot as a nickleback. UK likes to get him close to the LOS where the action is. (However, I think this exposes them to damage from a shift slot receiver). Like most teams, UK pulls their NT on passing downs and shift their DE's inside. Ware and Allen may not put their hands in the dirt in these situations, but they are very much pass rushing DEs.

More than anything, UK wants to fill the field with size, speed, and versatility. In the age of multiple offenses, it take a multiple defense to keep you in games. Will UK be able to stop Bentley and company? The answer to that question will more than likely decide the game.

Traditional 3-4:

DE - Middleton - grinder that has played beyond expectations, not an elite athlete.
ILB - Jones - fast and aggressive, lots of TFLs, but will run himself out of position too)
ILB - Love - downhill thumper, slow footed, will sometimes take on pulling guards
CB - Baity - has emerged as UK's best cover corner, big (6-3) with nice ball skills, NFL player
CB - Westry - great in run support, but lackluster ball skills, something of a disappointment
S - West - coming off major leg surgery, fast and athletic, big hitter, limited in-game experience

Hybrid 3-3-5:

DE - Middleton
NT - Pringle
DE - Carter
OLB - Jones
ILB - Love
OLB - Allen / Ware
NB - Edwards
CB - Baity
CB - Westry
S - West
S - Robinson

Hybrid 4-3

DE - Ware / Allen
DT - Middleton
DT - Looney
DE - Carter
WSLB - Jones
MLB - Love
SSLB - Allen / Ware
CB - Baity
CB - Westry
S - West
S - Edwards

Hybrid 4-3 Nickle

DE - Ware / Allen
DT - Middleton
DT - Looney
DE - Carter
MLB - Jones
SSLB - Allen / Ware
NB - Edwards
CB - Baity
CB - Westry
S - West
S - Robinson

Hybrid 4-2-5

DE - Ware
DT - Middleton
DT - Carter
DE - Allen
ILB - Love
OLB - Jones
NB - Edwards
CB - Baity
CB - Westry
S - West
S - Robinson
Stoops and Co. seem to have done a decent job upgrading scheme, talent and depth for y'all. Should be a good game.

Frightening complexity.
Looks familiar. Doesn't it?

muschamptennessee.jpg

Traditional 3-4:

Hybrid 3-3-5:

DE - Middleton
NT - Pringle
DE - Carter
OLB - Jones
ILB - Love
OLB - Allen / Ware
NB - Edwards
CB - Baity
CB - Westry
S - West
S - Robinson

Hybrid 4-3

DE - Ware / Allen
DT - Middleton
DT - Looney
DE - Carter
WSLB - Jones
MLB - Love
SSLB - Allen / Ware
CB - Baity
CB - Westry
S - West
S - Edwards

Hybrid 4-3 Nickle

DE - Ware / Allen
DT - Middleton
DT - Looney
DE - Carter
MLB - Jones
SSLB - Allen / Ware
NB - Edwards
CB - Baity
CB - Westry
S - West
S - Robinson

Hybrid 4-2-5

DE - Ware
DT - Middleton
DT - Carter
DE - Allen
ILB - Love
OLB - Jones
NB - Edwards
CB - Baity
CB - Westry
S - West
S - Robinson

one of the best road trips if not the best in sec east & if u take yer time can find vinegar base......btw, joker use 2 pick this state like one might pick peaches...thx

oh, & if

Reactions: BlueRattie
Stoops and Co. seem to have done a decent job upgrading scheme, talent and depth for y'all. Should be a good game.

"Decent" is fair. However, because of our lack of in-state talent, recruiting has always been an uphill battle at UK. Right now, we're raiding Ohio and then plucking a kid or two from Georgia and Florida. Our classes have been in the high 20's for the past three years. Not much compared to Spurrier's top classes (or even Muschamp's), but it's a Bonanza compared to what UK usually gets. Remember, Joker Phillips left us with a roster that won 2 games and was manhandled by Western Ky University. Yikes.

Reactions: SwampFox99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT