ADVERTISEMENT

Kicking field goal was HORRIBLE decision.

ConKreteCock

Oct 11, 2008
You play to win the game. Right? You need 6 yrds for a first down, INSIDE THE OPPONENTS 20 yrd line, and they have no time outs.

Kicking a field goal makes zero sense. It's risky. Making the field goal also gives them the ball back with a chance to run the kickoff all the way back.

1st down WINS THE GAME. Instead, we give them hope, and they nearly stole this game. Horrible decision. Just awful.

You play to win the game. Right? You need 6 yrds for a first down, INSIDE THE OPPONENTS 20 yrd line, and they have no time outs.

Kicking a field goal makes zero sense. It's risky. Making the field goal also gives them the ball back with a chance to run the kickoff all the way back.

1st down WINS THE GAME. Instead, we give them hope, and they nearly stole this game. Horrible decision. Just awful.
Idiot alert. They tie the game w/o that field goal.

Wait a second.

So you're saying that our horrible OC (I'm neutral on that right now) could dial up the right play to get a first down and keep the ball.

What happens if Gamecocks decide to go for the first down, don't get it and Tennessee somehow moves the ball down the field and kicks field goal to tie score, or, worse, scores TD to win game.

My guess is what happens is some on this board would be posting .... GOING FOR IT ON FOURTH DOWN WAS TERRIBLE DECISION (In some or all caps, because that's what second-guessers and armchair coaches do ...)

Horrible. Just awful. Guys can't even celebrate a win when we win.

If it was 4th and inches go for it, but without those 3 points I think we would have lost the game in ot, because they had a easy fg to tie.

An easy field goal to tie? Easy? We were inside their 20 yrd line dude. Nevermind. I see why this team has been mediocre for years. You play to win the game. Hello?? It comes down to one play. We get a first down, game over. If we don't, they have to drive a good length of the field to even attempt a field goal.

Some mighty ignant' football minds on this board for sure. Ya'll are the same people who attacked me when I said J.C. Spillman was going to be a sure fire bust in the NFL. Gamecock fans attacked me. Lol. The guy was a joke. Ya'll thought and Clemron thought he'd be a lock for the Heisman. He wasn't even invited to the ceremony. Lol. Anyway, I was right then, and I'm right now. You play to win the game. It all came down to one play when the ball was in our hands. But what did we do? We gave it back to them to give them a chance. Brilliant. Smh.... ps, I didn't say anything about our punter last week or any other week.

Reactions: fightingcock103

Yep, and I'm thrilled. Butch will be gone for sure now. Keeping the coaching turmoil going in the East. Floriduh's coach is next. Meanwhile, we keep winning. Looks like Kirby will get to keep his job this yr but when they lose a couple in the next 4 weeks, there will be grumblings. As stated in other threads, UGA is always over rated and always good for a couple of losses.

An easy field goal to tie? Easy? We were inside their 20 yrd line dude. Nevermind. I see why this team has been mediocre for years. You play to win the game. Hello?? It comes down to one play. We get a first down, game over. If we don't, they have to drive a good length of the field to even attempt a field goal.

Some mighty ignant' football minds on this board for sure. Ya'll are the same people who attacked me when I said J.C. Spillman was going to be a sure fire bust in the NFL. Gamecock fans attacked me. Lol. The guy was a joke. Ya'll thought and Clemron thought he'd be a lock for the Heisman. He wasn't even invited to the ceremony. Lol. Anyway, I was right then, and I'm right now. You play to win the game. It all came down to one play when the ball was in our hands. But what did we do? We gave it back to them to give them a chance. Brilliant. Smh.... ps, I didn't say anything about our punter last week or any other week.
Tenn moved the ball pretty easily into field goal range. What makes you think we would have kept them out of field goal range? There was about a 10% chance we would make the first down. Yes, you play to win but you have to play smart. Something in which you appear to struggle.

Tenn moved the ball pretty easily into field goal range. What makes you think we would have kept them out of field goal range? There was about a 10% chance we would make the first down. Yes, you play to win but you have to play smart. Something in which you appear to struggle.

Really? You agree with me then insult me?? YES, you play to win. The whoooooole game you fight to WIN. Then you actually get a chance to WIN the game on 1 play, and you say .......'nah...we'll pass. Here, you can have the ball back.' If we wouldn't have made the 1st down, we would have had 4 Lineman coming after the QB instead of 3. No way they drive it down the field. Again, you play to win the game. Not to keep it going until you back into a win. Sheesh. The mindset of a winner vs the mindset of a loser. Pretty obvious which side most of ya'll fall on.

Reactions: fightingcock103

Just digging yourself deeper. Your original post is dumb. Kick that field goal all day long.

GO COCKS!!!

Really? You agree with me then insult me?? YES, you play to win. The whoooooole game you fight to WIN. Then you actually get a chance to WIN the game on 1 play, and you say .......'nah...we'll pass. Here, you can have the ball back.' If we wouldn't have made the 1st down, we would have had 4 Lineman coming after the QB instead of 3. No way they drive it down the field. Again, you play to win the game. Not to keep it going until you back into a win. Sheesh. The mindset of a winner vs the mindset of a loser. Pretty obvious which side most of ya'll fall on.
They moved it down to field goal range with ease from the same distance Tenn. would have had the ball had we turned it over on downs. Tie game, we go to overtime. We played to win.

If you are this dense, you probably think we should have been throwing for a TD rather than running for first downs and running clock?

Wait a second.

So you're saying that our horrible OC (I'm neutral on that right now) could dial up the right play to get a first down and keep the ball.

What happens if Gamecocks decide to go for the first down, don't get it and Tennessee somehow moves the ball down the field and kicks field goal to tie score, or, worse, scores TD to win game.

My guess is what happens is some on this board would be posting .... GOING FOR IT ON FOURTH DOWN WAS TERRIBLE DECISION (In some or all caps, because that's what second-guessers and armchair coaches do ...)

Horrible. Just awful. Guys can't even celebrate a win when we win.
You're probably right, since we don't get 4th and inches very often. we have a hard time getting 3rd and inches.

You're the only person in thus thread that thinks you're correct, so that should tell you something. Take the points and win the game, which is exactly what we did. Why argue the hypotheticals unnecessarily?

You're the only person in thus thread that thinks you're correct, so that should tell you something. Take the points and win the game, which is exactly what we did. Why argue the hypotheticals unnecessarily?

As I said, it's the difference in mentality of winners and losers. I don't know how much more plain I can make this. We needed 1 play to WIN the game. To put an undeniable dagger in them.......and we passed on that opportunity. In retrospect, most people aren't winners and I shouldn't have posted the OP. We backed into that win instead of TAKING IT.

Again, loser mentality will never understand this. My apologies. I'm right, and I will not argue about it anymore. You can't be 'more right.' 2+2=4. We needed 1 play for the win. Didn't take it. Damn near let them win. Same ol' gamecock football. Play not to lose.

Our defense held them to 5 yards rushing in the 2nd half. Increasing the lead was absolutely the right call to take Tennessee's chance to tie with a FG off the table. They had not scored a TD in 7.5 quarters of football in their last 2 games.

Reactions: BigTomE
It was 3rd and 6 not inches. Second, Muschamp is a conservative coach who plays the percentages. The percentages say kick the FG and make them go 75 yards in 1 minute with no timeouts. If you want Will to do something different you are talking about the wrong coach.

It was 3rd and 6 not inches. Second, Muschamp is a conservative coach who plays the percentages. The percentages say kick the FG and make them go 75 yards in 1 minute with no timeouts. If you want Will to do something different you are talking about the wrong coach.
Agree. Almost every coach in America would have done the same. ConeKrete=winner. Coaches=losers.

Reactions: Cock_Donor
As I said, it's the difference in mentality of winners and losers. I don't know how much more plain I can make this. We needed 1 play to WIN the game. To put an undeniable dagger in them.......and we passed on that opportunity. In retrospect, most people aren't winners and I shouldn't have posted the OP. We backed into that win instead of TAKING IT.

Again, loser mentality will never understand this. My apologies. I'm right, and I will not argue about it anymore. You can't be 'more right.' 2+2=4. We needed 1 play for the win. Didn't take it. Damn near let them win. Same ol' gamecock football. Play not to lose.

Uhhhh, just about everyone else on this thread is telling you that you're wrong. What if we went for it and didn't get the first down? You understand a TN FG would've tied the game if that happened?
Keep digging, you're about to hit bedrock.

I agree with the op. I would've went for it. If you don't get it they have to drive the length of the field just to attempt a fg.

if i recall they did drive the lenghth of the field....nothing you can say to cover your ass here...champ absolutely made the right decision

Reactions: heavycock

Oh ye of little football knowledge. The FG was the only thing to do in that situation. If we were on the 1 foot line then I'd agree with you. You never leave it where a FG can tie it. You make a UT team that had -12 yards for the half drive the length of the field to have to score a TD.

Pedialyte is your friend..

Yep, and I'm thrilled. Butch will be gone for sure now. Keeping the coaching turmoil going in the East. Floriduh's coach is next. Meanwhile, we keep winning. Looks like Kirby will get to keep his job this yr but when they lose a couple in the next 4 weeks, there will be grumblings. As stated in other threads, UGA is always over rated and always good for a couple of losses.

Another brilliant observation by you.

Some of y'all forgot about some information that's really pertinent to this discussion:

1. Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
-Mark Twain

2. Nothing is fool proof because fools are ingenious.
-one of murphy's laws

Nobody can make anything so perfect that an idiot can't find a way to screw up. Seems appropriate here

We already failed to convert a 4th down once. They'd know it's a run. We'd give them the ball with only a FG needed to tie. Our coaches knew they've forgotten how to score a TD-It's now been 10 quarters since they scored one. And they had the backup QB in. Our defense had earned the right to not have our offense hand them the ball back without scoring points. Those are 6 good reasons to take the FG there. You're welcome.

Last edited:
Some of y'all forgot about some information that's really pertinent to this discussion:

1. Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
-Mark Twain

2. Nothing is fool proof because fools are ingenious.
-one of murphy's laws

Nobody can make anything so perfect that an idiot can't find a way to screw up. Seems appropriate here
#1 is one of my favorite quotes ever.

Reactions: cockyferg

LOL....do you know anything at all about football.....gotta be a tater....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT