ADVERTISEMENT

King brought up a good question,

Dec 11, 2018
Planet SCAR, Daytona Beach Shores
Who kept begging SOS to stay, when he wanted to retire year and half earlier? Was it like with the Redskins? Was he made to stay on, because of his contract? The Redskins "paid for it" and finally let him leave the club. Same as here.
Did he say that he would stay "2 more years", because he was asked to?
I really think he stayed the last 1 1/2 years because "Higher ups" begged him to.
Sometimes we need to be careful what we beg for.

Who cares at this point? Yea, Spurrier screwed up the end game. Not a blind allegation as the man admitted as much himself. But he made USC relevant in football for the first time since 84. And for three great years allowed the program to see heights that most never dreamed of. And heights that may not be seen again. It was great while it lasted, but it's over. Get over it. Just be glad he came our way for a while.

Who cares at this point? Yea, Spurrier screwed up the end game. Not a blind allegation as the man admitted as much himself. But he made USC relevant in football for the first time since 84. And for three great years allowed the program to see heights that most never dreamed of. And heights that may not be seen again. It was great while it lasted, but it's over. Get over it. Just be glad he came our way for a while.
Yes, my only point was if the President and AD had not begged him to stay and continued to insist he stay, we would have a much smoother transition and no drop off.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
There was more in-state NFL talent during Spurrier's tenure than any period I can remember. Spurrier recruited well in-state and added to that with his connections. Then combine that with the fact that he is a damn good coach and you can see why he took the team to new heights. State talent needs to improve and coaching needs to improve to get back to those teams. Plus Spurrier was successful when the SEC east was dang good! It's only going to get harder for Champ!

He wanted to retire after the 2013 season and ray told him to stay one more year. He knew that whole staff needed to go and thats why he quit like he did. In the end he knew he did the right thing by stepping down. Im sick and tired of people bashing the best coach we ever had at usc that showed usc football better times that our pathetic whiner fans deserve. Piss on anyone who talks crap about spurrier. Your a dumbass if ya do.and yes champ and this staff will get us back to where spurrier had us. Recruiting has already made a huge swing and clemson beating us is over. We had the talent to go 10-2 this year but not enough depth to survive all the injuries. It happens. Get over it. Usc football is headed in the right direction.

There was more in-state NFL talent during Spurrier's tenure than any period I can remember. Spurrier recruited well in-state and added to that with his connections. Then combine that with the fact that he is a damn good coach and you can see why he took the team to new heights. State talent needs to improve and coaching needs to improve to get back to those teams. Plus Spurrier was successful when the SEC east was dang good! It's only going to get harder for Champ!
This. Most people forget when spurrier came the east was the power not the west. BAma wasn’t the best sec team when he got here. georgia Tennessee and Florida were all damn good.

100% spot on.

I think it's been told both ways in various outlets - by him. I believe they both did it.
I have never seen a quote by Spurrier stating that Tanner asked him to stay except to finish out the year that he quit. A lot of speculation by posters to that effect though. I know he said Jerri convinced him to stay longer....which, honestly, is the only person that Spurrier would listen to. There has also been a lot of speculation that Tanner talked to Jerri to ask him to stay....but that's all I've seen is speculation.

Last edited:
Reactions: ExpatCarolinian
When you're up to your ass in gators, it ain't time to argue about who forgot to drain the swamp.

Seems fittin', ... at this point in time.

What's done is done now. What bugs me a little bit is that he didn't stay and let his lifetime coaching record take the hit from his piss poor recruiting, and him letting the insane run the asylum the last few years of his tenure.

Reactions: rogue cock
I have never seen a quote by Spurrier stating that Tanner asked him to stay except to finish out the year that he quit. A lot of speculation by posters to that effect though. I know he said Jerri convinced him to stay longer....which, honestly, is the only person that Spurrier would listen to. There has also been a lot of speculation that Tanner talked to Jerri to ask him to stay....but that's all I've seen is speculation.
So you're saying Tanner wouldn't have had any influence over Spurrier, huh? Really great endorsement of Ole Ray.Laughing

Reactions: bdblack
So you're saying Tanner wouldn't have had any influence over Spurrier, huh? Really great endorsement of Ole Ray.Laughing
You're the one that keeps on trumpeting the horn that we are a school that is in no position to fire a coach like Spurrier. In that case, neither McGee, Hyman, nor Tanner would have any influence over Spurrier. Your argument....not mine.

You're the one that keeps on trumpeting the horn that we are a school that is in no position to fire a coach like Spurrier. In that case, neither McGee, Hyman, nor Tanner would have any influence over Spurrier. Your argument....not mine.
We couldn't fire him. The question of influence is something else altogether.

If you don't hold the ultimate power over someone, all you can do is try to persuade, cajole, etc. Not much influence in that.
I've known people who could influence by the power of their reason and logic, appealing to what was the wisest course, or pointing out what was in a person's best long-term interest, or what was right - influential people who held not one wit of formal authority over anybody.

I've known people who could influence by the power of their reason and logic, appealing to what was the wisest course, or pointing out what was in a person's best long-term interest, or what was right - influential people who held not one wit of formal authority over anybody.
You are talking about one of the most arrogant coaches in college football....one who reportedly told Foley to go check the trophy case when asked to submit a resume. King, you are trying to justify your attempted slight on Tanner too much. You know better.

You are talking about one of the most arrogant coaches in college football....one who reportedly told Foley to go check the trophy case when asked to submit a resume. King, you are trying to justify your attempted slight on Tanner too much. You know better.
I'm only addressing a possibility of non-influence implicitly raised by your post #11, in which Tanner is the only AD mentioned.

Even if Spurrier had left a full year before the so called begging the damage was already done we were bone dry. He said he knew his team wasn't good and the coaches disliked each other so he left. Enough on Spurrier already. I talked to a high school coach that was in the conversation when even a couple of the coaches at Carolina said after winning the 6 games in 2016 they had no idea how they did it with what they had. We've come along more than some give us credit for.

Last edited:
I'm only addressing a possibility of non-influence implicitly raised by your post #11, in which Tanner is the only AD mentioned.
In post #11, I was simply addressing the speculation regarding who asked Spurrier to stay prior to the year in which he quit. Read several articles regarding Tanner asking him to finish out the year, but none regarding Tanner asking him to stay prior to that. You and others have stated differently, but I haven't read anything about Tanner asking him to coach additional years, but I have about Jerri persuading him to. I don't know how hard Tanner attempted to get him finish out the year....no one except Spurrier and Tanner does.

In post #11, I was simply addressing the speculation regarding who asked Spurrier to stay prior to the year in which he quit. Read several articles regarding Tanner asking him to finish out the year, but none regarding Tanner asking him to stay prior to that. You and others have stated differently, but I haven't read anything about Tanner asking him to coach additional years, but I have about Jerri persuading him to. I don't know how hard Tanner attempted to get him finish out the year....no one except Spurrier and Tanner does.
What I have stated is that I have seen reports asserting both things. I'm not giving any more credence to one assertion than another. Maybe someone will write an authoritative book one day about this. I find Tanner encouraging him to stay at almost any point credible because it was Steve Spurrier and he had done great things. And reports that Jerri encouraged him to continue, I find credible also.

Reactions: rogue cock
I think it's been told both ways in various outlets - by him. I believe they both did it.
This. Hell we as fans could see he had checked out and things were declining way before he quit Why da heck couldn’t our AD. That’s what is baffling

Because he didn't want to enter the arena. He knew he wasn't ready to try and replace Spurrier.

Reactions: king ward
Let’s settle on the DT bowl win over Miami, that was a long season of lots of scoring and stopping no one & Spurrier was crawling in his skin to get out, staying the second season is what I couldn’t grasp.

but remember "football is in fine/remarkable/better than ever shape" right now.:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT