ADVERTISEMENT

Kirby Smart and Rich Rod.....just saying.......Tanner at least has to have a plan...

joedcock

Jan 2, 2004
Really think a young Coach Kirby Smart with his connections in the deep South with the HS would be a candidate for Tanner.

Tanner at least has to start thinking about the next coach now.

Reactions: king ward
tanner might have a plan, but i dont think it involves getting rid of spurrier....like jonesz21 said its going to be up to spurrier when it's his time......tanner is caught between a rock and a hard place....i dont think we would be in the situation we are now if spurrier made the 2/3 yr comment....that hurt

tanner might have a plan, but i dont think it involves getting rid of spurrier....like jonesz21 said its going to be up to spurrier when it's his time......tanner is caught between a rock and a hard place....i dont think we would be in the situation we are now if spurrier made the 2/3 yr comment....that hurt
Spurrier will go on his own and Tanner will have been doing his due diligence. Each will do what he is supposed to do and in the proper time.

Reactions: nikolas22
Only coach I'd want to replace Spurrier? Saban...and that's not gonna happen.

Serious question. We all know that SS put out the 1 or 2 more years statement and it's effect on your recruiting. THEN SS said he'd be around for 5 more years and everyone on here took that as gospel. So is that no longer true?

Serious question. We all know that SS put out the 1 or 2 more years statement and it's effect on your recruiting. THEN SS said he'd be around for 5 more years and everyone on here took that as gospel. So is that no longer true?
I don't think it matters what anyone on here thinks to be honest.. Spurrier will rode off into the sunset when he pleases.. If you want to know how many more years, you need to ask Coach Spurrier.. But I doubt he tells you or anyone else for that matter. With that said, my best guess is still 2-3 more years, but don't quote that as gospel :)

little tigga you will just have to wait and see.

spurrier is the best thing to happen to the football program. He will decide when it is time not Tanner

I would say that Tanner has a short list for every head coach at USC, if not he should. Also believe that Tanner pays a little more attention on his list that will replace Spurrier, I bet Spurrier even knows who is on that short list and has had some input on it. With the Jr and So classes in South Carolina having loads of talent, the looming questions on Spurrier's retirement is very critical. Best case for USC, Spurrier retires either after this year or 6 years or later from now.

The stupidity here knows no limits.

Tanner already keeps a list and has said so. And why wouldn't he? Spurrier walked into his office and resigned after last season before reconsidering after talking with his wife.

Seriously, you people throw around the words stupid and idiot with no compunction. Grow up.

Reactions: Cock_Donor
concur - OBC will tell Tanner when he is ready to leave
Yes, Spurrier will leave on his own. That said, if this is a bad season, I'd be surprised if Tanner doesn't strongly encourage Spurrier to make some changes in his staff. But that won't happen. If we have a bad season, the HBC will hang it up.

This will be the end, be surprised even if he finishes this year out before making an announcement. Too old to cut the mustard, just like Paterno, Holtz and Bowden was.

He clearly said he would coach 5 more years as long as he thinks he can win. Does that help?

Really think a young Coach Kirby Smart with his connections in the deep South with the HS would be a candidate for Tanner.

Somehow also get Frank Wilson from LSU and keep Mangus....pipedream recruitingwise....but would it work on the field?....Tanner's job to figure out.

Kirby is line for UGA and Bama right now...better jobs but you never know.

Spurrier will be our coach until he decides to hang them up....which he would do with a losing season....which is possible, if not likely.

Im sure everyone wants to coach in the SEC and their is always a price for everyone, but when Spurrier decides to hang it up, Im sure he will have an input with Tanner on who be the next coach.

I think we should discuss Dabo's retirement, he's topped-out with nowhere else to go but down. He's sneaking up on 50, you know - no longer a kid. He's also wearing a lot more blazers these days, another sign of maturity.
Who do you think is next in line at clemson? Will they consider 'little' Scott? Maybe Elliott? What are the chances of rehiring Chad Morris?
Hillary Clinton is almost 70 and substantially more overweight than the HBC (with a 'history' of headaches, as well) - do we really need THAT to worry about?
The gal at General Motors just paid a $115 million dollar fine, should she keep her job? Somebody also 'ought think long and hard about firing the Braves General Manager IMHO.
How many times will Vincent Sheheen run for Governor before HE gets the message? Should we put our foot down about Putin in Russia? And how long are we going to take crap from North Korea? You could send Dr. Phil packing anytime and I'd be OK with that. And take Rachael Ray with him. Did Ted Williams really have his body frozen? I can't stand the redesigned Minny Mouse, they've got way too mu ch wave in her new hairstyle. And what 'it' was Walter Cronkite talking about when he always said "and that's the way IT is"? Boxers or briefs?

Rich Rod put together the shittiest program in the illustrious history of Michigan, not to mention he is a former Tiger, why is he even considered?

Chip Kelly isn't going to happen, don't know why his name was mentioned. He's averaging 10 wins per season in the NFL, he's not going anywhere.

I would hope to grab a defensive minded coach, like Pat Narduzzi (top choice)
though a former Chip Kelly system guy wouldn't bother me either in Scott Frost(close second choice).
Mark Hudspeth would be a solid hire as well (third choice)

Even Mack Brown was forced to retire, I can see the same happening to Spurrier. He's had three really good seasons, with a ton of mediocre seasons in his tenure at Carolina. This is a business after all, not a charity for coaches that won titles at other schools.

Reactions: shorecock
I would expect Tanner gets resumes from interested head coaching candidates all the time. The next big hire will determine whether or not he is up for the task of being an Athletics Director at a major school. This year will determine whether or not his first major decision of putting our current Head Baseball Coach in place was the right call.

Chip Kelly isn't going to happen, don't know why his name was mentioned. He's averaging 10 wins per season in the NFL, he's not going anywhere.
You are probably right but it's a call you have to make if you are a serious college football program and have an opening.

The reason people always mention his name is because he is seen as Saban 2.0. That is, a great coach who is giving the pros a try but may find it's more fun coaching guys who are younger, eager to learn and frankly, don't have the leverage that the pro players do. Remember he has been accused by disgruntled traded players of being borderline racist. He may be tired of that nonsense already.

Our pitch to Kelly would be "do you want try your system in the SEC and try to out do the two legends who coached before you here?". Then if he says no, you move on down your list.

Mark Dantonio.

We could pay him more than what he's being paid at MSU. Defensive mind. Has slowly built MSU into a powerhouse that just beat the most prolific offense in the country. Played at SC, so an alumnus. Seems like a no brainer that he's the first call. Not sure if he would come, but would be worth a call.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grayson Sandlapper
Spurrier will go on his own and Tanner will have been doing his due diligence. Each will do what he is supposed to do and in the proper time.
Yes and if necessary, Tanner will tell Spurrier that he needs to retire! Of course, we need to pass on the "expert" advice from here.

What has Kirby smart done? I'd rather not let someone learn to he a head coach here. He is the d coordinator Alabama. That doesn't mean he knows anything about running a team or an offense.

What has Kirby smart done? I'd rather not let someone learn to he a head coach here. He is the d coordinator Alabama. That doesn't mean he knows anything about running a team or an offense.
I see him as another Muschamp in a way. I wouldn't want to risk that hire. Yes, he's had good even great defenses. But he's also had Marcell Darius, Mount Cody, Mark Barron, CJ Mosley, Landon Collins, Donate Hightower, etc. The list goes on and on. There's no way he'd get that much talent here.

I see him as another Muschamp in a way. I wouldn't want to risk that hire. Yes, he's had good even great defenses. But he's also had Marcell Darius, Mount Cody, Mark Barron, CJ Mosley, Landon Collins, Donate Hightower, etc. The list goes on and on. There's no way he'd get that much talent here.

I agree. I wouldn't want to take a chance on Kirby Smart. I don't believe he has ever been a head coach, not even in high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT