ADVERTISEMENT

KJ Henry wants to land his dad a job

I think Bobby knows his limits and probably tries to exclude himself from the QB decisions. I don't have the same feeling for KJs father. I may be incorrectly assuming but really sounds like KJs father has pushed his son to drive his future coaching career. And if that is true, then I assume he may be very vocal in the handling of his son by the coaches causing issues if he was on the staff! Sounds like an opportunity for nepotism to cause issues in this scenario.

If we don`t hire him Clemson will. They`ve been doing that kind of stuff for years, and I don`t think they ever caught any flak for it. Amazing how Tajh`s parents got jobs(reportedly) shortly before he started Clemson, if I`m not mistaken. If the guy has a good track record in N.C. he can probably be an asset in recruiting the state of N.C. They are adding the extra coach anyway, so why not?

If we don`t hire him Clemson will. They`ve been doing that kind of stuff for years, and I don`t think they ever caught any flak for it. Amazing how Tajh`s parents got jobs(reportedly) shortly before he started Clemson, if I`m not mistaken. If the guy has a good track record in N.C. he can probably be an asset in recruiting the state of N.C. They are adding the extra coach anyway, so why not?
Clemson has already hired their 10th position coach so they will not be able to hire his dad if they wanted. They are heavily recruiting KJ though. Tahj's father was military so he did not work for Clemson. His mother and brother did move to Easily after he committed but I don't recall any Clemson employment.

Clemson has already hired their 10th position coach so they will not be able to hire his dad if they wanted. They are heavily recruiting KJ though. Tahj's father was military so he did not work for Clemson. His mother and brother did move to Easily after he committed but I don't recall any Clemson employment.
Think they got Tahj's dad on at Michelin. We hired Alshon's dad as a stadium employee.

Always found that interesting with Boyd. His family, of no particular means, just picks up and moves to Seneca. Know of one job his dad turned down with a company that is a very prominent Clemson supporter as apparently their salary offer offended him.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about college coaches already employed. I guess that makes sense. Lot more HS coaches out there that you could pluck to recruit players.

But the Bentley hire couldn't happen now because Bobby was an analyst at Auburn.
Not true. On the field coaches can be hired. Does not matter where they came from. You just cannot hire them to be support roles. There is not a limit on support roles. there is a strict limit on on the field coaches. So it is unlikely to be abused for on the field coaches.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/04/14/recruiting-rules-december-signing-period
"
A RULE LIMITING THE HIRING OF PEOPLE ASSOCIATED WITH RECRUITS
A new rule will ban the hiring of an “individual associated with a prospect”—this could be a high school coach, a parent or a seven-on-seven coach—to support positions for two years before and after the prospect signs. (This matches a rule already in place in basketball.) In other words, a school that signs five-star cornerback Bobby Lockdown may not hire his high school secondary coach as a director of high school relations and his seven-on-seven coach as a defensive analyst. Schools still may hire such a person as an on-field assistant or head coach, so Lockdown’s buddies can still get jobs where Lockdown signs as long as the head coach trusts them to coach linebackers or tight ends. Spoiler alert: He probably doesn’t.

Always found that interesting with Boyd. His family, of no particular means, just picks up and moves to Seneca. Know of one job his dad turned down with a company that is a very prominent Clemson supporter as apparently their salary offer offended him.
They magically moved Spiller's girlfriend and kid up when he was considering transferring to UF. Also moved Watkins' mother.

KJ Henry said he would take consideration into a school that may make his dad the 10th assistant on a team that he commits to. And he specifies not as an analyst but as an actually coach. He’s a RB coach at Charlotte right now.

Seems more expensive than a car wash?
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.thestate.com/sports/college/football/article189214434.html
Isn't that tampering illegal for a school to give a job to a parent to get the kid? Makes me wonder about Jake.

Would be a great pick up for us, but not at that price
Uh duh...we have to hire 2 coaches anyway...thus there is no cost...If our new OC is not a QB coach, make Bentley QB coach and hire Mr. Henry as rb coach...KJ Henry is an absolute stud..We need to come off the pretentious moral high ground and do whats required to win....

Why would anyone blame the young man for being concerned about his families immediate financial security

Reactions: Gradstudent
They magically moved Spiller's girlfriend and kid up when he was considering transferring to UF. Also moved Watkins' mother.

that's why they win...they understand it's a dog eat dog business...God didn't write those stupid NCAA rules...There is no moral high ground to compliance at the cost of losing...Do what you have to do to win...Tell the naysayers to kick rocks

Isn't that tampering illegal for a school to give a job to a parent to get the kid? Makes me wonder about Jake.

dude please...It's against the rule to give a recruits parent an administrative job...But an on the field asst coach position is within the rules and ethical

Not to say his dad isn't a decent coach, but this would be unbelievably stupid. It's one thing if your dad already coaches there or has recently taken the job, but now the kid has put it out there that "well if my dad gets a job wink wink ..." and then we all of the sudden hire him out of the blue? That just looks desperate and shady. He's not even a top 10 recruit.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
good coaches with a 5* son don't have to beg for a job. sorry, something about this doesn't add up.
RB coach is a recruiting position. Is his dad a good recruiter? And does he have good relationships with NC HS coaches? That's all you need to know. If the answer is yes....hire him. If not, then don't. But if we did hire him as a RB coach, we'd have to find a position for Bentley....analyst maybe.

Uh duh...we have to hire 2 coaches anyway...thus there is no cost...If our new OC is not a QB coach, make Bentley QB coach and hire Mr. Henry as rb coach...KJ Henry is an absolute stud..We need to come off the pretentious moral high ground and do whats required to win....

Why would anyone blame the young man for being concerned about his families immediate financial security
It's not as simple as "well we need another coach so why not?". There are greater implications behind all of that. KJ's dad may or may not be a great fit, but a good positional coach can drive your program more than any 5* recruit. Just look no further than Clemson. What sort of message are you sending to coaching candidates if you out of the blue hire a recruit's dad just because he mentions it in an interview? What sort of message are we sending to other recruits out there who's dad may be a coach somewhere? That's a very slippery slope, and it doesn't seem like a necessary risk to take at this point.

Reactions: BigTomE
It's not as simple as "well we need another coach so why not?". There are greater implications behind all of that. KJ's dad may or may not be a great fit, but a good positional coach can drive your program more than any 5* recruit. Just look no further than Clemson. What sort of message are you sending to coaching candidates if you out of the blue hire a recruit's dad just because he mentions it in an interview? What sort of message are we sending to other recruits out there who's dad may be a coach somewhere? That's a very slippery slope, and it doesn't seem like a necessary risk to take at this point.
For most any other position other than RB coach, I would agree. But RB coach has always been a recruiting position. If KJ's dad is a good recruiter and has a good/great relationship among the NC HS coaches, why not give him the chance?

Completely agree. So why hasn't a major program made an offer? Like I said, something else has to be in play here.
For most any other position other than RB coach, I would agree. But RB coach has always been a recruiting position. If KJ's dad is a good recruiter and has a good/great relationship among the NC HS coaches, why not give him the chance?

Reactions: GC2020
good coaches with a 5* son don't have to beg for a job. sorry, something about this doesn't add up.

who said anything about Mr. Henry begging for a job? If you have concrete info, share it...Coaches with sons as mega star recruits get offered jobs all the time...Happens several times each season...Not 1 thing wrong with it...

who said anything about Mr. Henry begging for a job? If you have concrete info, share it...Coaches with sons as mega star recruits get offered jobs all the time...Happens several times each season...Not 1 thing wrong with it...
Nobody said he was begging but his son basically implied of you give my dad a job I’ll come to your school.

Nobody said he was begging but his son basically implied of you give my dad a job I’ll come to your school.

Henry is # 8 nationally by 247, 2 of our top rivals are in the playoffs, Clemson and Georgia, getting multiple 5 stars, if WM thinks his dad can coach and we legally land a 5 star, I'm all for it.

And he is suppose to go to Clemson, which is more icing

I'm not sure how else we get 5 star in this class. any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: gocarolina33
I'm pretty sure he's almost a certain lock to Clemson regardless of what dad does. His dad is probably going to end up staying in Charlotte anyway. I think this is more of getting his dad's name out there in the coaching world to help him land a better job. Tho I agree with most I think its dumb to even go that route and put that kind of notion out there to begin with.

Ain’t about “ moral high ground “, it’s about not having players dictate how you run your team. Duh

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Ain’t about “ moral high ground “, it’s about not having players dictate how you run your team. Duh

that's pretzel logic...It's Muschamp's choice whether or not this kids talent and ability to help our program merits the action..Under no condition would this indicate the prospect is dictating anything...If you think all schools, including Bama doesn't do extraordinary things to get extraordinary players, you are very naive...Recruiting is a cutthroat nasty business...It's not for boy scouts nor the feint of heart...If we want to win, we must be willing to do whats required to get great players...

Thinks about how good we were a few years back with a roster full of future NFL players..Then compare to the past 3 years...You better get the Jimmies and the Joes

that's pretzel logic...It's Muschamp's choice whether or not this kids talent and ability to help our program merits the action..Under no condition would this indicate the prospect is dictating anything...If you think all schools, including Bama doesn't do extraordinary things to get extraordinary players, you are very naive...Recruiting is a cutthroat nasty business...It's not for boy scouts nor the feint of heart...If we want to win, we must be willing to do whats required to get great players...

Thinks about how good we were a few years back with a roster full of future NFL players..Then compare to the past 3 years...You better get the Jimmies and the Joes

And which of those players made us hire his dad in order for him to come here?

Basically y'all are advocating for us to do the same kind of crap that y'all want the NCAA to investigate Clemsux for doing.

Why did he have to open his mouth. He could have just told Boom that, we hire his dad. The worst part is how public the whole thing is now.

Reactions: NooNoo
Didn’t we have this same situation with Jesus Shuttlesworth ?? I’m pretty sure we did , and he got Game .

Why did he have to open his mouth. He could have just told Boom that, we hire his dad. The worst part is how public the whole thing is now.

Maybe if he had any real interest in coming, he would've mentioned it to just Boom. He only made it public for his dad's sake...getting him a better job. Its still not a 100% lock he would go where his dad went anyway. He's going to be signing his LOI in 5 days, I'm sure he knows where he's going already.

Amazing that when Clemson does stuff like that nobody questions them but if we do it`s some kind of moral impropriety accordiing to some of you. They do whatever it takes within(and likely outside) the rules and look where they are now. We have always taken the high road and we will slip if we don`t live on the edge more. How come there was no outcry a couple of years ago when Clemson hired the high school coach from Grayson - what recruit or recruits did that help them get? Don`t recall them becoming a "laughingstock."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT